Supermarket Slobs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know whether I first saw this link here at DC or not, but this is an excellent article about this very topic.

Newsweek - Divided We Eat

In a nutshell, the article states that people eat what they can afford to eat based on the time they have, and food is the new class-defining item. :ermm:

~Kathleen

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Kathleen. After reading the article it made me glad not to be living in NYC -- no offense to you NYC folks, but it's just not for me. I'm new here, so none of you know me, thus I think it's probably important that I state this right at the outset: I am not a politcally correct kind of guy. I detest the entire PC movement, and this article fairly drips with PC-ness.

I've snipped a few quotes from the article.

"But modern America is a place of extremes, and what you eat for dinner has become the definitive marker of social status; as the distance between rich and poor continues to grow, the freshest, most nutritious foods have become luxury goods that only some can afford."

This is BS. At least here in Houston it is. The food distribution system here is, I guess, a lot different than it is in NYC. Within a five-mile radius of my house there are ten supermarkets that I can easily recall (incuding a Whole Foods) and many smaller specialty markets. Probably mostly because of the competition, these stores are forced to provide fresh food at reasonable prices. In any of them, I can walk in and buy a variety of fresh produce, meats, and seafood. As to their affordability, well, this varies with the markets. I live in a dichotomous part of Houston. There are folks on public assistance -- immigrant latinos mostly -- who live in apartments and housing just blocks away from neighborhoods where homes were selling for north of $1 million before the housing bubble burst. And in this area there are grocery stores that cater to the different segments of the population, so prices can vary widely with some items. For example, I can go to a local Kroger Signature store, which is very nicely appointed on the inside, and pay twice as much for onions as I would if I drove a couple miles farther down the same street and shopped at the local Fiesta that caters to the large immigrant population. A short drive in the opposite direction and I can pay twice as much for those onions by shopping at the Whole Foods. "Yes, but the Whole Foods onions are a much higher quality," some might say, and I'd say, "Prove it. I'm buying the cheap ones until you can justify the price difference."

"Whole Foods—the upscale grocery chain that recently reported a 58 percent increase in its quarterly profits . . . "

No surprises there -- not at their prices. If they buy their goods from the same sources as the other local markets, it's no wonder their profit margins are greater.

"Lower-income families don’t subsist on junk food and fast food because they lack nutritional education, as some have argued. And though many poor neighborhoods are, indeed, food deserts—meaning that the people who live there don’t have access to a well-stocked supermarket—many are not. Lower-income families choose sugary, fat, and processed foods because they’re cheaper—and because they taste good."

Elitist, and untrue. At least around these parts, it is. As for the first statement, I believe just the opposite is true. The biggest reason for lower-income families' poor diets is, I feel sure, their being sucked into mass media advertizing and believing all the crap being spewed out of the tube about processed foods. If anything they are overly suggestible which I would argue is directly attributable to a lower education level where they were never taught to think cricitally. As I stated in my earllier post, around these parts at least, it is always cheaper to cook from base ingredients than to go the pre-packaged food route. And for the base ingredients there are a few supermarkets in my area that cater specifically to the lower income segment. In the Fiesta I mentioned above, their produce department is as good as any of the more expensive markets, with the possible exception of Whole Foods -- but then they wouldn't be carrying a lot of the stuff WF does anyway because the demographic that shops there doesn't eat the stuff WF sells. But by the same token, they sell fresh produce that WF doesn't. Like cactus leaves, and a very wide variety of peppers, for example.

True, you're not gonna see much in the way of beef filet or porterhouse steaks at the Fiesta, but who's to say that those cuts are more nutritious than a cheaper (and leaner) cut of beef, like top sirloin or round steak? They may not have any organically raised beef or free-range chicken, and the reason is simple -- their clientele wouldn't buy it if they did. Any sort of claim that these more expensive types of meat are more nutritious is dubious to me. I'm not buying it (literally and figuratively).

"In a paper published last spring, Drewnowski showed how the prices of specific foods changed between 2004 and 2008 based on data from Seattle-area supermarkets. While food prices overall rose about 25 percent, the most nutritious foods (red peppers, raw oysters, spinach, mustard greens, romaine lettuce) rose 29 percent, while the least nutritious foods (white sugar, hard candy, jelly beans, and cola) rose just 16 percent."

Man, I can shoot this so full of wholes, I wonder why I should even bother. This is junk journalism at its worst. The "nutritious" foods covers a range of items from shellfish to produce, while the junk food items are all sugar based. So if sugar has withstood the inflationary trend of that 4-year period better than the produce and shellfish, then one would expect the prices for sugar-based products to be lower. There are economies of scale involved as well. White sugar is a raw commodity, shipped by the trainload, for pete's sake. Raw oysters involve a fairly intense amount of labor, and fuel costs (for both the boat and trucks that brought it to market) are going to be a significantly higher portion of the costs than shipping sugar by train. What I consider most alarming about the study this Drewnowski person conducted is the fact that there was a 25% increase in food costs! Then again, maybe not. Seems like, if anything, 25% is on the low side.

Yes, the woman who wrote that article is a food elitist. And that's fine with me. If it makes here feel better, then she should go for it. But to draw a conclusion that people who don't spend the kind of money she does on food and eat the way she does are somehow nutritionally worse off is just simple nonsense.

I don't know whether I first saw this link here at DC or not, but this is an excellent article about this very topic.

In a nutshell, the article states that people eat what they can afford to eat based on the time they have, and food is the new class-defining item. :ermm:

~Kathleen

Thanks for the link. It's a very interesting and well-written piece.

Thanks for the link Kathleen. After reading the article it made me glad not to be living in NYC -- no offense to you NYC folks, but it's just not for me. I'm new here, so none of you know me, thus I think it's probably important that I state this right at the outset: I am not a politcally correct kind of guy. I detest the entire PC movement, and this article fairly drips with PC-ness.

I agree with much that you wrote. Where I live in NC is very much the same, I live next to an affluent suburb, but just down the street are more modest neighborhoods.

To elaborate on what you said, I think that there is so much confusion over eating "healthy" and eating "health food". Many seem to have the idea that eating healthy means buying organic, freerange or whatever buzzword used to overcharge for food. You can eat very "healthy", very inexpensively even at the more low end grocery stores. Planning menus around what is on sale, stocking up on great deals when it makes sense to do so, etc..

We have been taught as a society that we are far too busy to cook, we have been taught that to be a successful person/parent that we should always be busy. I have seen toddlers enrolled in karate and ballet classes, then when they get in school they are involved in lots of stuff, so a family these days is pretty much running around carting their kids from activity to activity. Marketing has done a great job convincing society that they should be doing all of this, and that their products are the answer to their hectic lives. I see this day in and day out, working in an affluent suburb. I can see why divorce rates are so high, parents working their tails off to fund a home, 2 cars and every activity that their kids are involved in, with no time for a real relationship with each other or their children. Society has gone way off track.

Cooking wholesome food doesn't have to be difficult or expensive, but if your day is completely filled I can see where people justify filling themselves and their kids with junk, even when they shouldn't

The article is unfortunately true where I live. One place that I see class divides with food are at the local high school's cafeteria. Children with free/reduced lunches eat the school lunch, which is limited in healthy choices. Lots of cheap carbs and pressed/processed proteins. Children from wealthier families bring their lunches, which are typically filled with good foods. Unless it is taco day, then they all rush for the junk.

Recently, the student government wrote a letter complaining of lack of healthier snacks. They have a good point: snack cakes, chips and sugary drinks. Can they not place unsweetened juice in a machine?

~Kathleen

A well made taco is not junk. Meat, tomatoes, lettuce, onion, sour cream, black olives in a crispy, but not fried corn shell.

In a cafeteria that sells pancakes with sausage for lunch...to be served with mashed potatoes and canned string beans, I'm willing to wager that the tacos are made with the lowest grade ingredients they can legally get by with. Seriously. The meat rests in about an inch of fat waiting for placement on the shell. There is a reason the students are taking notice, which I'm happy to see. Staff concerns have fallen on deaf ears. Food vendors are selected at the district, not the school, level. :ermm:

These tacos are usually served on a soft tortillas with cheese and sour cream. No tomatoes, no lettuce, no onion, and no black olives. One can get a handful of iceberg if they select the taco salad which comes with Doritos. The tacos come with a little packet of generic taco sauce. Taco salads are only iceberg lettuce with taco meat, cheese, and sour cream. The kids love this taco meat though. It's very salty to me...and very greasy.

~Kathleen

Last edited:
In a cafeteria that sells pancakes with sausage for lunch...to be served with mashed potatoes and canned string beans, I'm willing to wager that the tacos are made with the lowest grade ingredients they can legally get by with. Seriously. The meat rests in about an inch of fat waiting for placement on the shell. There is a reason the students are taking notice, which I'm happy to see. Staff concerns have fallen on deaf ears. Food vendors are selected at the district, not the school, level. :ermm:

Unfortunately, the solution to that problem is a politcal one. Vote the rascals out.

These tacos are usually served on a soft tortillas with cheese and sour cream. No tomatoes, no lettuce, no onion, and no black olives. One can get a handful of iceberg if they select the taco salad which comes with Doritos. The tacos come with a little packet of generic taco sauce. Taco salads are only iceberg lettuce with taco meat, cheese, and sour cream. The kids love this taco meat though. It's very salty to me...and very greasy.

~Kathleen

Hi Kathleen.

I often have soft shells in my fridge (flour tortillas) they are there for the lost causes on my life.

I often have stuff I would relegate to the trash bag. But some days, they end up in a soft shell as misfits of my imagination.

I could probably write a book. But no one would read it :)

~Kathleen

The article was a good read. It effectively demonstrates that there is a problem with our food system, and that's what's important. I still believe that the most effective way to correct these problems is by "voting with our dollars". In a capitalist economy, this is the only sure way to be heard. Unfortunately, without proper health and culinary education, much of our population doesn't recognize that we have significant food supply problems so a lot of people are still voting for junk. I'm not saying my voting record at the grocery store is flawless, it's far from it (according to MY standards anyway...) but I think I'm on the right track. How to educate people so they can make good purchases at the store is a dilemma. I really don't know what the best way to do that would be.

we need to reinstate home ec. classes. many moons ago when i was in high school, we had to pass a home ec. class in order to graduate. we were taught the basics of nutrition. we learned to cook simple meals. we certainly did not learn all their was to know. but we learned enough to build on when we began to prepare meals for a family. we were also taught how to balance a checking account. most kids today, think plastic is a never ending source of goods.

This thread prompted me to find my response to a old thread from 2008 "Poor People Can't Afford Healthy Food".

Here are my responses that I still stand by:

Post # 114

The bottom line is the reasons "poor people are overweight" are:

Lack of money
Lack of education
Lack of shopping options
Lack of refrigeration, stove, oven and storage space
Lack of transportation

It is just a Fact that prepackaged high carb food is cheaper, easier to prepare, can be purchased anywhere, requires little refrigeration, limited cooking resources and stores easier. So it can be purchased with or without transportation.

Post # 54

Some comments state buying meat, fruit, fresh veggies sensibly and cheaper. But no one has mentioned the high price of the spices and oils that is needed to make a good meal. The price of the ever precious EVOO is ridiculous. So, yes it is cheaper to buy prepackaged meals, let alone takes less time. I could go on, but will stop here.;)

In the post war in the US, the food industry began introducing prepared/processed foods. I can remember the fuss over TV dinners, Hamburger Helper, etc. It was a national movement to embrace the ease of dinner preparation by using these products. TV was full of them. That made many lazy. It was just too easy and "look, it's the in thing to do".

I remember all that, too, Andy. My mom dutifully tried all the new-fangled foods, but we rejected them, one at a time! All, that is, except for a fairly wide array of frozen vegetables in the wintertime.

And I remember those old-time tv commercials luring busy moms to TV dinners and hamburger helper. (Man, that is nasty stuff! :ermm:) Can we say S-A-L-T-Y?

I remember all that, too, Andy. My mom dutifully tried all the new-fangled foods, but we rejected them, one at a time! All, that is, except for a fairly wide array of frozen vegetables in the wintertime.

And I remember those old-time tv commercials luring busy moms to TV dinners and hamburger helper. (Man, that is nasty stuff! :ermm:) Can we say S-A-L-T-Y?

Me too. The one thing I got out of Home Ec was how to make a white sauce. It is the basis for all my sauces and gravies.:chef:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom