Supermarket Slobs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Kathleen.

I often have soft shells in my fridge (flour tortillas) they are there for the lost causes on my life.

I often have stuff I would relegate to the trash bag. But some days, they end up in a soft shell as misfits of my imagination.

I could probably write a book. But no one would read it :)

I'd read it! :)

The article was a good read. It effectively demonstrates that there is a problem with our food system, and that's what's important. I still believe that the most effective way to correct these problems is by "voting with our dollars". In a capitalist economy, this is the only sure way to be heard. Unfortunately, without proper health and culinary education, much of our population doesn't recognize that we have significant food supply problems so a lot of people are still voting for junk. I'm not saying my voting record at the grocery store is flawless, it's far from it (according to MY standards anyway...) but I think I'm on the right track. How to educate people so they can make good purchases at the store is a dilemma. I really don't know what the best way to do that would be.

I'm happy to see Michelle Obama's push toward healthier school lunches making some progress. It's a start!

we need to reinstate home ec. classes. many moons ago when i was in high school, we had to pass a home ec. class in order to graduate. we were taught the basics of nutrition. we learned to cook simple meals. we certainly did not learn all their was to know. but we learned enough to build on when we began to prepare meals for a family. we were also taught how to balance a checking account. most kids today, think plastic is a never ending source of goods.

I agree!

I remember all that, too, Andy. My mom dutifully tried all the new-fangled foods, but we rejected them, one at a time! All, that is, except for a fairly wide array of frozen vegetables in the wintertime.

And I remember those old-time tv commercials luring busy moms to TV dinners and hamburger helper. (Man, that is nasty stuff! :ermm:) Can we say S-A-L-T-Y?

I used to have a tag-line that read "Hamburger should never be helped." :rolleyes:

~Kathleen

...The bottom line is the reasons "poor people are overweight" are:
Lack of money
Lack of education
Lack of shopping options
Lack of refrigeration, stove, oven and storage space
Lack of transportation
With all due respect I can't agree with that. Poor people are fatter than the middle-class?? I haven't seen that. And as to the reasons...what about lack of willpower? genetics? health issues that lesson ability to exercise? chemistry? etc etc
What about those who feel comfortable in their own skin and aren't affected by Hollywood's tilted view of thinness?

Last edited:
Have you seen the portions they get at those expensive restaurants? Hardly enough to feed a gerbil. I've always thought that was why the "thin & rich" comment.

At least they're pretty to look at....... the plated food, that is....:LOL:

I believe it was Julia Child who said it looked like they were playing with her food too much. I'm not a fan of piled up food. Pretty yeah - appetizing, nope.:ohmy:

With all due respect I can't agree with that. Poor people are fatter than the middle-class?? I haven't seen that. And as to the reasons...what about lack of willpower? genetics? health issues that lesson ability to exercise? chemistry? etc etc
What about those who feel comfortable in their own skin and aren't affected by Hollywood's tilted view of thinness?

I Never stated that was a complete list of reasons. And YES, real poor people(unless you are talking about drug addicted people with children)will chose a gross of Ramen Noodles or Boxed Mac-n-Cheese over fresh food because they can get more for their money. More sugar, more carbs, more fat, more salt. More comfort food satisfaction.

If you had three children to feed for a week with 20 dollars, would you A) buy fresh apples at 1.89 a pound (remember apples are heavy), tomatoes at 1.99 a lb, lettuce, carrots, onions, celery, cucumber ect. for a salad at market prices. A nutritional cereal of whole grains, with milk. And some lean protein. If you manage to purchase all of this for $ 20.00, you probably will only have enough to last for 2 1/2 days.

Or B) Ramen noodle, one pack per child @ .20 is more then enough for 1 meal and Boxed mac and cheese, feed them all a meal with one box. Milk is a given. A package of cheap hot dogs(because you can stretch the meat into at least 3 meals, more if you are creative). A bag of sweetened cereal(no sugar in your budget). You already feel guilty enough about not being able to feed them well, so you don't need hungry (but when they eat, they eat well) cranky kids to add to your stress level.

Overweight middle class people are just lazy on many levels.
Just my observation in my little spot on the map.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, I agree with PattY1, as I often witness this myself, living in a widely diverse social economic region. Less expensive, processed foods are more practical for some of these families.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing with us PTY1.

I often need someone like you to remind me of the reasons why I need to listen more.

Thanks for sharing. Your message is something I have in my heart.

Overweight middle class people are just lazy on many levels. Just my observation in my little spot on the map.

Pardon me, that is a severe over-generalization of middle-class people who are also overweight. Many people have health conditions and/or take medications that cause weight-gain.

I believe it was Julia Child who said it looked like they were playing with her food too much. I'm not a fan of piled up food. Pretty yeah - appetizing, nope.:ohmy:

Julia Child, "It's so beautifully arranged on the plate -- you know someone's fingers have been all over it."

But, they have had their fingers all over it while they were cooking it. We just have to hope they wash their hands well.

I bet every aspect of this subject has been coverd. I diddn't have time to read them all.My only addition to the thread is that I really love to cook.I spend most work days looking forward to getting home to cook.It's relaxing to me.I really do dislike frozen dinners and never buy them.I rarely attempt complicated meals dureing the week but, for the most part I useually make somethig kind of edible.I know that not everybody loves to cook and for those people they should really give it a try it really is alot of fun.

PattY1 said:
Overweight middle class people are just lazy on many different levels.
Pardon me, that is a severe over-generalization of middle-class people who are also overweight. Many people have health conditions and/or take medications that cause weight-gain.
My thinking as well, Princess. In fact the title of this thread alone is also a severe over-generalization.

yeah, slobs like me and moll eat very well, thank you very much.

one man's slob is another man's blood donor, don't forget.

Last edited:
Just my observation in my little spot on the map.[/QUOTE]

Patty,
Your little closed minded spot on the world is a sad one to be in. I can't help but be offended by your general lack understanding.

Or is it that your living that middle class lifestyle yourself, that makes you so well informed and judgmental?

Just my observation in my little spot on the map.[/QUOTE]

Ok, this is what you people seem to have a problem with, so be it. Please reread what I have highlighted in brown.
Those of you who did not like that part of my post did not even comment on the first part of it. WHY? Agree or disagree or just want to be controversial?

Meet you on the monkey bars.;)

Last edited:
lol, the only thing wrong on so many levels are your comments, patty.

do they have compassion or empathy in your little spot on the map?

Last edited:
You go right on ahead and spotting Patty. Those of us that don't know better, will someday with your help.

But don't refer to me as "you people". My name is Casper.

You go right on ahead and spotting Patty. Those of us that don't know better, will someday with your help.

But don't refer to me as "you people". My name is Casper.

Sorry, that was a upset generalization. And kinda a inside joke that has nothing to do with this site.

Last edited:
Just so we don't get this wrong? I like the way your ship sails. I am too newly devorced to like someone else in that way. But you made me smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom