"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 11-20-2006, 06:39 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I haven't seen the film and I am leary about seeing it only because - embarrassingly enough, fast food is a treat for us - we hardly ever get it - so we really like it when we do - I know that is wrong, but I am claiming ignorance here, what I don't know won't (but will in this case) hurt me. Does it say anything about Wendy's? That is my favorite.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:30 PM   #12
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I don't think the film is saying never eat fast food, it really emphasizes everything in moderation. Morgan eats McD's everyday for 30 days, EVERY MEAL.

I think it was more to open the eyes of some of the younger generation who do make 80=% of there food intake, drive thru accessible.

I eat fast food once and a blue moon, Wendys frostys are my fave, along with a doublestack

Old 11-20-2006, 08:38 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Me too Tattratt - I eat the doublestack - no onions, supersize fries) and a frosty! I dip the fries in the frosty - mmmmmm!
Old 11-21-2006, 12:16 AM   #14
Cook

[quote=Michelemarie]I haven't seen the film and I am leary about seeing it only because - embarrassingly enough, fast food is a treat for us - we hardly ever get it - so we really like it when we do - I know that is wrong, [/quote

Oh, Michelemaire, don't listen to that 'wrong' rap! I am a big proponent of Slow Food but if you enjoy dipping your fries into a shake every (fill in the blank on how often) that is your choice. I think the movie will not put you off, give it a shot. If anything it's an odd science experiment w/ a human being volunteering as a lab rat being force-fed fast food.

The film is meant to give awareness to a popluation who truly (this may sound incredible) do not think eating 'fast food' often is unhealthy. Sure, I'd love to see a world where all food is slow, but I'm know beating folks over the head w/ guilt isn't the way to get there. Watch the film; you will not feel worse for it unless you are someone who considers fast food a way of feeding your family on a regular basis. You're not there, you consider it a 'treat.' Would you eat Wendy's fries every day if you could? Would you feed your family that food every day? Nah. So watch. Enjoy. Dont' feel guilty.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:53 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Yes Michelle, Tattrat is right, having a treat now and then with what you enjoy is one thing, and practically LIVING ON that stuff is totally another story. The film is focusing on the problem of the latter, as "convenience" starting to weigh more and more than their own health in the mind of today's people. Enjoy your frosty and spud once in a while, that is okay.
At the end of the day, the consequence of eating Spaghetti carbonara and Tiramisu at the same pace, the same amount everyday will not be overly favourable either
Old 11-22-2006, 09:27 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Good to hear your advice Tattratt, Devora and Urmaniac. I probably still won't see the movie - ignorance is bliss - I know that it will give me the "guilties" when I indulge.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:51 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Did anyone see his other production? Someone lent me "30 Days" on DVD which I guess was a TV series by Morgan Spurlock (I don't have cable). Really good show where they put themselves and others into a different environment. Morgan & his girlfriend try living 30days on minimum wage, they send a devout christian to live with a muslim family in Michigan, they send a southern boy to live with a gay guy in San Fran, and a bunch of others.

All of them are thought-provoking which is what I enjoy when I do sit down at my laptop to watch a film/show.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:45 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I saw the one where Morgan went to live in the prison for a month to see how he would behave in prison and when he comes out...it was pretty funny though, Morgan commented that "There were some nice people in prison!"

I would think that Wendy's is much more healthy than McDonalds since old style hamburgers dont contain as much calories or other stuff as a BigMac (Did you see the guy in the movie that ate like 5 bigmacs a day )

I goto wendy's for the chilis, sometimes when Im late going home I stop by and have a cup.

Derg
Old 11-22-2006, 10:21 PM   #19
Master Chef

This is the foodie version of "Reefer Madness" IMHO.

You can eat just as poorly at home ...
Old 11-22-2006, 11:55 PM   #20
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
are you telling me, when I eat my pound of bacon and a half a dozen eggs for breakfast, it is bad?! BLASPHEMY!