"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 11-19-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Supersize Me

Hey guys

I just saw the movie (is it a movie?) Supersize Me last night, the one about fast food resturant (some guy named morgan made it I think) and I found it pretty intriguing. Can you guys tell me what you think?

I was disgusted by McDonalds and their food (never going there again) but I don't want to be some gullable person, was their facts and information are trustworthy?

here's their website: www.supersizeme.com/

dergyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Sous Chef
Watched the movie. Macdo is something even my children admit is 'too fast food and bad' We eat it once everyy few months.The way the burger stayed 'intact' in the film longer than the real burgers makes one wonder what is in it. What is in it?????????????????????? what keeps it 'alive' for that long????????????

There is no love sincerer than the love of food. ~George Bernard Shaw
Jikoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
Assistant Cook
A cooking buddy of mine told me that they use scrap meat to make the hamburgers...

I don't know if it's true since I don't eat hamburgers, all I eat are the chickens and fish. Those are a thing of the past now...

dergyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:41 PM   #4
Sous Chef
I bought this a year or two ago.

Even if some things are exaggerated, I still found it humorous and entertaining enough to purchase for the $10 or $15 I parted with.

Only thing at McDonalds I like are the Hash Brown Pucks they sell in the AM. I grab a couple every once in a while. Can't stand anything else they sell. Even the fountain sodas. I hate fountain soda because the syrup/water ratio is almost always off compared to bottled products, and the tap water in my town is terrible.

For fast food I usually get a BLT at Subway (sans tomato) with oil & vinegar rather than mayo and lots of veggies on whichever bread is freshest. Toasted too!
Nick ~ "Egg whites are good for a lot of things; lemon meringue pie, angel food cake, and clogging up radiators." - MacGyver
Nicholas Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:15 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
I don't trust on that kind of films. There are a lot of interests behind.

Best regards.

Free Recipes and Cooking Books
SusanHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by dergyll
A cooking buddy of mine told me that they use scrap meat to make the hamburgers...
That's pretty much true of all hamburger/sausage you don't make yourself. That's pretty much the history of those foods too.

I recently bought some bacon ends on sale. A bit fatty, but I just trimmed it up, put the scrap fat in a baggie in the freezer. I'll add that fat next time I make some sausage.

Waste not want not.

thymeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #7
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Even if the film "exaggerated" on some things, I still feel it speaks volumes on the health risks of some fast foods. Anything with high levels of saturated fats and high cholesterol, are going to do some damage over time.

It was obviously enough to make the corporate heads rethink there stance in the fast food industry. Since the documentary, the have, by law, NOT been able to ask if you want the meal supersized. There has also been a marked increase in so called healthy, well healthier, menu choices then the fabled Big Mac.
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:08 PM   #8
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
(I posted here last night, wonder where it has gone? I swear I didn't say anything particularly obnoxious!! )

Yes the approach may have been a bit over the top at times, but it was a great in-your-face but also entertaining way to get the message across. (though realistically speaking, those who like those stuff will be likely to continue on eating them all the same....)

I just hope that guy regained his health since then.
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #9
Master Chef
I found it entertaining and informative... even if a bit stretched. Never been one for fast food... occasionally I will have something from Chik-fil-et (is that how it is spelled?) but never have been a big Mickey D's fan. Hubby loves them and will get something from there from time to time, when he does, I usually opt to eat something at home or go to another fast food place that I will eat from.
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:01 PM   #10
Real Food Made Easy

Iím not sure whose interests are served by such a filmÖunless it is the unhealthy, over-weight, artery-clogged public. This film opened many eyes to a serious problem.

But my beef w/ the industry isnít about health (hey, I love gruyere and I canít claim itís healthy) but the taste and method. Example:

I want a sandwich. I go to the fridge and pull out the leftover roasted chicken and some greens, grab two slices of bread, slather on some condiment of choice, add some S & P and slap that puppy together. I know how the chicken and sandwich were prepared, itís slightly more healthful and most importantly it tastes soooo much better than fast food.

By the way, to make such a sandwich takes about 5 mins. Ya canít get a Happy Meal that fast.

Slow Food isnít always slow!

devora is offline   Reply With Quote