"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Master Chef

Target Heart Rate - Pulse?

I just bought my husband an exercise bike that has some electronic information on it. The thing is, while 90% of it I understand (I know this might sound stupid to some of you, but I am the electronics person in the house), I really don't know anything about pulse. One of the many things I've forgotten more than I ever knew about! I'd like a site that explains what his target heart rate should be, how long he should maintain it, etc. He says it is too confusing, the rate seems to go up and down too easily so he doesn't know what he's supposed to be doing. I, personally, am delighted that he's enjoying it so much, and he really likes watching the numbers. So if anyone knows what I should tell him about his pulse, or a site he might enjoy perusing, let me know.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Here's what I remember. A target heart rate or pulse is the beats per minute your exercise should maintain for max benefits. It's based on yur age and condition.

There is a quick formula to come up with an estimate but I've forgotten the details. It's like some number plus your age for a target pulse.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Honey Badger

He should talk with his doctor.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
Mr. Greenjeans

220-age=Maximum Heart Rate (MHR)

MHR x (a range anywhere from .60 to .80) = Target Heart Rate

Example

220-43= 177

177x.60= 106

177x.80= 141

So a 43 year old's target heart rate would be a range of 106 to 141. This is the range of maximum benefit. The lower end gets better weight loss. The higher end has better cardiovascular benefits.

I wouldn't say going above this range is not beneficial but above this range actually saps energy from you without maximizing the added benefitial conditioning. So its more work and you get less out of it in the long run.

I work in a hospital with an extensive physical therapy department.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
Sous Chef

what a nice gift!
Old 12-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
220-age=Maximum Heart Rate (MHR)

MHR x (a range anywhere from .60 to .80) = Target Heart Rate

Example

220-43= 177

177x.60= 106

177x.80= 141

So a 43 year old's target heart rate would be a range of 106 to 141. This is the range of maximum benefit. The lower end gets better weight loss. The higher end has better cardiovascular benefits.

I wouldn't say going above this range is not beneficial but above this range actually saps energy from you without maximizing the added benefitial conditioning. So its more work and you get less out of it in the long run.

I work in a hospital with an extensive physical therapy department.

That's the formula! I wasn't even close in what I remembered.
Thanks for posting the goods, BD.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Mr. Greenjeans

I had to add that last line so people would know I wasn't just gabbin out my rectum.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
I had to add that last line so people would know I wasn't just gabbin out my rectum.
mental image...

Claire, does the model you got have an alarm? The one we had used to have a clip and you put it on your ear or something (can't remember...long time ago) and it would check your heart rate and scream if you got into the danger zone.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
Senior Cook

If your bike has a lot of fancy electronics, it probably has the ability to display the instantaneous heart rate and an average heart rate. The instant heart rate will bounce around a little and perhaps be somewhat confusing; but the average heart rate will be averaged over time (probably several minutes so it will remain much more steady and change only slowly as the rider's exertion varies. Go back and look at your instruction book and see if your machine will display an average rate or call the customer service people who made your machine and ask them.

Another possibility.......some machines are designed to show the average heart rate automatically so that the reading does not bounce around a lot and if the electronics are faulty, you could get that rapid fluctuation of the reading. Again, this is probably a question for the customer service people or the owner's manual.

Good luck!!

P.S. I started a weight loss program of my own back in March and included a bike riding component to the food diet. I try to ride every day and have worked up to about 350 miles per month (weather permitting). I used to have both a bicycle machine and a treadmill; but I get bored on them and like to be outside.

If the weather holds, I will reach the 2500 mile mark around the first of the year and will have lost about 70 pounds. Hard work can produce wonderful results!!!

(I'm thinking about going for another 10 pounds after Christmas to get down to 190.)
Old 12-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_ View Post

(I'm thinking about going for another 10 pounds after Christmas to get down to 190.)
I have a leg that weighs that much.