The Great Diet Debate: Calories, Carbs and Fat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Potatoes and rice are both healthy. Brown rice is a bit more 'healthy'

There is nothing unhealthy about them, but they tend to be calorie dense compared to say green vegetables and lean protein. When losing weight, limiting portion sizes of these is an easy way to cut calories.

Hi Addie!

No, you are the first! Hello! :)

All I am saying, is that whether you are a diabetic, recovering from a heart attack, or allergic to tree nuts, you can still eat a healthy diet. The same diet? No. But a healthy one regardless. And I hope I haven't insinuated that it is EASY to eat healthy... because it rarely is easy.

My dad is morbidly obese, and has done virtually every diet that exists. Most of them helped him successfully lose the weight, until ultimately he would go back to his old ways and gain every pound of it back. My dad KNOWS how he should be eating. He knows that he should be active (though now his knees are trashed and he can barely walk). He KNOWS that to lose weight, he simply has to burn off more calories than he consumes. But he can never seem to overcome his temptations.

How well I know. I gained back five pounds that I lost last year and now my hip is paying the price.

And a big WELCOME to DC. You are going to be inundated with questions from this group. Specially our old agers. I am fortunate in that my Dietician is specially trained in diabetes. She has been a wealth of information for me. Enough so that my A1c has been low enough that I am no longer on any diabetes medication. But it took a lot of hard work on my part. :angel:

There is nothing unhealthy about them, but they tend to be calorie dense compared to say green vegetables and lean protein. When losing weight, limiting portion sizes of these is an easy way to cut calories.

That's true comparing potatoes to green veggies. Not so true comparing them to lean protein, even when it's roasted white meat chicken.

Dieting is like divorce. It's always the ones that don't need it that have the pearls fo wisdom to share. You have to find what works for YOU. Not for the skinny person that is sitting across from you that has an over active thyroid that can eat butter sandwiches for lunch and never gain an ounce. Their are family issues, medication, general health and many more factors to loosing weight. I have a friend that is very skinny. He constantly makes fun of overweight people. But he has a terrible temper. But to him "I can help my temper", is an acceptable answer. But to understand someones weight struggles is not comprehendable. Find what works for you and not the general mass of people who don't struggle with weight.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom