"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-10-2015, 11:26 PM   #11
Master Chef

Good job, Ardch! Sometimes it takes years of baby steps to see any real progress. At least you're going in the right direction.

Old 07-11-2015, 02:41 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I hear you Chief. It seems like no matter what goal I set for myself, along comes an interruption. Mostly my kids. They are all grown and should be able to handle their own problems. But they still come running to me. I try to save up money for something I need or want, and along comes one of them who has a need more important than mine. I really need to say "NO!" But I did it this week. Pirate needed something and I refused to buy it for him. And it was an important item for his health. He needs to learn how to save for the future. My daughter needs to accept the fact that her husband is a lot sicker than she is willing to admit and will be lucky to see the end of this year. Planning trips when he can no longer even go up a short flight of steps is pure foolishness. And not wanting to disappoint her, her husband really gives it a hard try. But she has to face the fact that those trips are no more.

Spike needs to learn to take care of Spike and not distant relatives of his dead wife.

Hopefully, maybe this is the year I say NO to all of them.
That is truly sad Addie. My sons have never once asked me to buy them anything since they've been grown. Where did yours ever get the idea that was possible or acceptable?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:29 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Ardchoille, this is a celebration of your accomplishment! Congrats on your weight loss!

I love walking, even though a rambunctious 23 pound beagle can take me down, breaking 2 ankles! I love her anyway.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Ardchoille, this is a celebration of your accomplishment! Congrats on your weight loss!

I love walking, even though a rambunctious 23 pound beagle can take me down, breaking 2 ankles! I love her anyway.
Thank you! Well, to be honest, walking is how I got started with this. I have been walking everywhere for over 10 years, I haven't owned a vehicle in about that long. And I've been eating fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, legumes and water for over a year - with some salmon, tuna or chicken now and then. I guess I had been building up to this for a while without realizing it.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:33 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Congrats! I need to start doing exactly that myself.

http://www.kitchenchatters.com/
Kitchen Chatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:45 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I have my exercise bike in my living room (where I spend most of my time when not in the kitchen). If I want to watch TV, I ride my bike. I started with doing it during commercial breaks. Now the commercial breaks are when I get to get off the bike and do my hand weight exercises. I eat healthy, do a lot of physical labour around the homestead, and ride my bike. I don't walk because there is so much traffic on the road now that it was paved I would spend most of my time jumping for the ditch (no shoulders). Sad, I used to walk 3-5 km a day.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Congrats on the good work. I remember many years ago, I was a pack a day smoker and I ended up getting severe pneumonia. The nurse said she couldn't hear any air flow on the bottom half of my lungs and just breathing felt like getting kicked in the stomach. A was diagnosed with asthma during my follow up with my regular doctor a week later. Put me on the Advair Discus (inhale-able steroids) and a rescue inhaler. Couldn't do much physically without getting winded.

Spent a few months in the gym strictly on the treadmill, most of the first few weeks hitting my inhaler like a junkie. Took a few months of pushing myself, but I've all but completely cured my asthma. The only time I have a problem is when it's really cold out and I'm shoveling snow. Even then, the "attacks" are extremely mild. I have far more trouble with pollen these days.

Always an amazing feeling when you look down to a number 2-3 times bigger than you were expecting and you still have your breath. Congrats again!!

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.
AnthonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:13 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ View Post
Congrats on the good work. I remember many years ago, I was a pack a day smoker and I ended up getting severe pneumonia. The nurse said she couldn't hear any air flow on the bottom half of my lungs and just breathing felt like getting kicked in the stomach. A was diagnosed with asthma during my follow up with my regular doctor a week later. Put me on the Advair Discus (inhale-able steroids) and a rescue inhaler. Couldn't do much physically without getting winded.

Spent a few months in the gym strictly on the treadmill, most of the first few weeks hitting my inhaler like a junkie. Took a few months of pushing myself, but I've all but completely cured my asthma. The only time I have a problem is when it's really cold out and I'm shoveling snow. Even then, the "attacks" are extremely mild. I have far more trouble with pollen these days.

Always an amazing feeling when you look down to a number 2-3 times bigger than you were expecting and you still have your breath. Congrats again!!
Hey, good job! Yeah, I don't put much stock in doctors anymore. I've been to medical school, I know their secrets.. curing disease is not their main priority.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
Hey, good job! Yeah, I don't put much stock in doctors anymore. I've been to medical school, I know their secrets.. curing disease is not their main priority.
I don't know where you went to school, but that's not true of the doctors I've known and I have several chronic illnesses. You're slandering a lot of good people.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't know where you went to school, but that's not true of the doctors I've known and I have several chronic illnesses. You're slandering a lot of good people.

No offense, but I've heard this argument before and it's always from people who think their physician is helping them survive some major illness. Your attitude will change once you go to medical school.