This is what good nutrition will get you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No offense, but I've heard this argument before and it's always from people who think their physician is helping them survive some major illness. Your attitude will change once you go to medical school.

I worked at a medical school for 14 years. I knew many of the faculty very well, both physicians and researchers, and since I was the website manager, I edited the curriculum (and everything else) before posting it on the website.

My physicians *are* doing their best to help me. It's sad that you're so cynical.

I worked at a medical school for 14 years. I knew many of the faculty very well, both physicians and researchers, and since I was the website manager, I edited the curriculum (and everything else) before posting it on the website.

My physicians *are* doing their best to help me. It's sad that you're so cynical.

Good luck with that.

GG, I am with you. My youngest son practices medicine. And according to our poster, he is saying that my son is only interested in killing patients? Not helping them and finding an answer to their illnesses?

That must have been some humdinger of a medical school if they were teaching their students to "not" cure their patients.

Our friend sounds like he was unable to cut it in medical school. It is not an easy profession to be a part of. Perhaps he was one of those that fainted at the sight of blood. Yes, they do have them in medical school. And you know what the others do when that happens? The other folks in the room just step over the fainter. ;) Perhaps he didn't like being ignored when he felt he had a medical emergency. :angel:

Last edited:
GG, I am with you. My youngest son practices medicine. And according to our poster, he is saying that my son is only interested in killing patients? Not helping them and finding an answer to their illnesses?

That must have been some humdinger of a medical school if they were teaching their students to "not" cure their patients.

Our friend sounds like he was unable to cut it in medical school. It is not an easy profession to be a part of. Perhaps he was one of those that fainted at the sight of blood. Yes, they do have them in medical school. And you know what the others do when that happens? The other folks in the room just step over the fainter. ;) Perhaps he didn't like being ignored when he felt he had a medical emergency. :angel:

Perhaps if you were actually familiar with my history (military and graduate school) your post would have some factual basis.. and your credibility wouldn't have taken a downturn. Your opinion is not my reality.

This is me, 30 minutes ago, after a three-mile run. I run every other day.
Blood pressure: 97/65
BPM: 66
Medical conditions: none
Medications: none
Allergies: NKA
Weight: 135 U.S. pounds

Notice the tattoo on my left forearm.. I've been involved in medical training for over 30 years. I would still be in a wheelchair and on several medications if I had listened to physicians years ago. I decided to prove them wrong. mission accomplished!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 342
I'm with Ardchoille on this one. I've personally witnessed people getting off of diabetes medications simply by changing the food they eat. The body is an amazing machine and given the right materials, it can fix itself pretty well. "Biohacking" is a relatively new concept, at least in the mainstream, but it makes perfect sense both on paper and in practice.

I don't mean any disrespect to people in the medical community, but there is something wrong with the idea of treating the symptom rather than the cause. Not to mention, have you ever really listened to the possible side effects for these new medications? Don't you think there is something wrong with an anti-depression medication that may lead to suicidal thoughts or actions? Aren't those the actions of a depressed person? Why should you have to double down on your anti-depression medication and top it with ANOTHER anti-depression medication?

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food."

Again, there is definitely something to be said for all the advances in medical science, surgeries and such, but if you actually have to warn people they might get lymphoma from taking a medication for an ailment they already have, it means someone in the trials got lymphoma and potentially from that medication. Time to work on the formula a little harder if you ask me.

I'm with Ardchoille on this one. I've personally witnessed people getting off of diabetes medications simply by changing the food they eat. The body is an amazing machine and given the right materials, it can fix itself pretty well. "Biohacking" is a relatively new concept, at least in the mainstream, but it makes perfect sense both on paper and in practice.

I don't mean any disrespect to people in the medical community, but there is something wrong with the idea of treating the symptom rather than the cause. Not to mention, have you ever really listened to the possible side effects for these new medications? Don't you think there is something wrong with an anti-depression medication that may lead to suicidal thoughts or actions? Aren't those the actions of a depressed person? Why should you have to double down on your anti-depression medication and top it with ANOTHER anti-depression medication?

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food."

Again, there is definitely something to be said for all the advances in medical science, surgeries and such, but if you actually have to warn people they might get lymphoma from taking a medication for an ailment they already have, it means someone in the trials got lymphoma and potentially from that medication. Time to work on the formula a little harder if you ask me.

Thank you so very much! I couldn't have said it better myself. Diet is key. Garbage in, garbage out. After everything I've seen in my 51 years, I am of the opinion that western medicine is in the business of making money, not curing disease.

All I can say is you people are seeing the wrong doctors. There's always a risk-benefit analysis to be done when considering any medication. Good doctors do try to treat a disease rather than symptoms. Not everything can be cured, though. That's just how life is.

Last edited:
I am of the opinion that western medicine is in the business of making money, not curing disease.

There's no money in a cure. Which is the root cause of the problems with our "health care" in this country. If it's for profit, it will not hold our interests higher. When you have a "lifetime limit" on how much care you can get, there's a problem, especially if you get cancer. You can easily hit your lifetime limit with one bout of cancer.

To be fair, I'm skeptical of EVERYTHING. When I tried the Bulletproof Diet and intermittent fasting, I thought, "This makes no sense at all." I thought there is no way that consuming roughly 600 calories of fat between the butter and coconut oil would make me feel full for 12 hours, let alone the 22 hours I was able to go after the first week of doing it. I also experimented myself with the concept of 4500+ calories of veggies a day (between 2 and 8 pm) and it was difficult at times to even consume that many calories of veggies. Still lost weight.

GotGarlic, I've switched doctors a few times. I don't think any have been out to get me, per se, but when more than one doctor tells you you have asthma and you will need an inhaler the rest of your life and you manage to get off the inhaler in two months or less, your opinion of doctors may change. I'm not a doctor nor do I pretend to be one. I feel that I have educated myself well enough on being healthy and weight loss, so I am conducting and recording an experiment on my own to show what my research has brought me to.

There's definitely something to be said when the hospital you work at sends a homeless diabetic patient to a motel with two loaves of bread and a box of cereal, two items a diabetic patient needs to load up on. Clearly they didn't have the patients best interests in mind.

All I can say is you people are seeing the wrong doctors. There's always a risk-benefit analysis to be done when considering any medication. Good doctors do try to treat a disease rather than symptoms. Not everything can be cured, though. That's just how life is.

All I can say is that you people are effectively brainwashed. Amazing things can happen once you stop drinking the Kool-Aid - I am proof of this.

All I can say is that you people are effectively brainwashed. Amazing things can happen once you stop drinking the Kool-Aid - I am proof of this.

The way I see it is simple: What have you got to lose by trying something different? Weight? Health ailments? Try something different for a week or a month. It may work out better than you think. I don't ever look at new health information and go "That's the cure all for my problems." If it seems sensible, I give it a try. If it yields results, it's worth continuing.

Juicing, for example, makes PERFECT sense, though I lean towards blending smoothies rather than wasting perfectly good fiber. The better your chew your food the better your body can process it, but you sure as heck aren't going to chew it better than a blender. Eat a salad really fast once day and tell me what you find about 6-8 hours later...

The attitude that... "if you don't agree with me you are "brainwashed" and "drinking the koolaid,"... is a very myopic way of looking at life. You aren't the only one who has a handle on life.

Sorry, I thought I specified this in my post. My fault for not putting that in there. Thanks for the correction.

Part of my reason for saying that is to point out that for some illnesses, medication is necessary - even life-saving. Sometimes the body doesn't work right and diet has nothing to do with it.

The attitude that... "if you don't agree with me you are "brainwashed" and "drinking the koolaid,"... is a very myopic way of looking at life. You aren't the only one who has a handle on life.

Barely breathing hard after a three-mile run.. three times per week.. at age 51. I'm the only member of my family who isn't overweight and suffering from some type of cancer. Clearly I'm doing something right.

Part of my reason for saying that is to point out that for some illnesses, medication is necessary - even life-saving. Sometimes the body doesn't work right and diet has nothing to do with it.

No, you're absolutely right. I was making a reference to one type of diabetes, there are some things that you do need medicine for. My fiancee is on thyroid medication and there is no way around that.

Barely breathing hard after a three-mile run.. three times per week.. at age 51. I'm the only member of my family who isn't overweight and suffering from some type of cancer. Clearly I'm doing something right.

My mother died of complications stemming from a brain tumor, the lady across the street died of stomach cancer, the lady next door died of pancreatic cancer and she was only in her late 20's early 30's with two very young kids. There's four more people within 2 blocks of my house who are fighting cancer. I just found out a girl I went to high school is fighting cancer and a guy I went to high school lost both of his "back-up singers" to cancer. Something is wrong, that's for sure.

That you are in great shape and your conditioning is tops is a commentary on your hard work. Congratulations.

That accomplishment does not justify the attitude I commented on in my earlier post.

That you are in great shape and your conditioning is tops is a commentary on your hard work. Congratulations.

That accomplishment does not justify the attitude I commented on in my earlier post.

Perhaps my attitude could benefit from some adjustment, and I'll look into that. However, my great shape and conditioning, on which you've commented, are a direct result of refusing to believe everything I'm told by people who supposedly know what they're doing.

Physicians don't want everyone to be COMPLETELY healthy. Physicians would quickly go broke if everyone learned to keep themselves healthy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom