This is what good nutrition will get you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ardchoille

Senior Cook
Well, I guess it's time I stopped thinking I'm out of shape. I usually alternate between walking and jogging quarter mile laps on the treadmill, but today I walked the first quarter mile and then jogged for a mile. I stopped to check the treadmill readout to make sure it was actually a full mile.. and that's when I realized I was still breathing normally through my nose.. after a full mile! I could barely believe it!

This is what I get for eating healthy and daily exercise :mrgreen:

Congrats, Ardchoille! :clap:Keep on keeping on, and feel free to post your results here. I could use some inspiration myself. I just talked to my 87 year old uncle a couple of days ago, he treadmills 3 times a day when he isn't out hiking. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats, Ardchoille! :clap:Keep on keeping on, and feel free to post your results here. I could use some inspiration myself. I just talked to my 87 year old uncle a couple of days ago, he treadmills 3 times a day when he isn't out hiking. :)

I love walking and I think that is what helped a lot. I walk when I'm stressed, bored, angry, lonely, etc. so I get plenty of walking in. A healthy diet is the key, a person won't get much performance out of an unhealthy diet.

I think maybe CraigC doesn't realize I weighed 275 pounds just fifteen years ago and I've brought that down to 135 pounds today.. at age 51. I'm really the only one I have to impress.. mission accomplished :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well....I can't claim to have the healthiest of diets :ermm::LOL:, but I think it's awesome that you've reached a goal. Congratulations, Ardchoille.

I love walking and I think that is what helped a lot. I walk when I'm stressed, bored, angry, lonely, etc. so I get plenty of walking in. A healthy diet is the key, a person won't get much performance out of an unhealthy diet.

I think maybe CraigC doesn't realize I weighed 275 pounds just fifteen years ago and I've brought that down to 135 pounds today.. at age 51. I'm really the only one I have to impress.. mission accomplished :)

You are an inspiration to me as well. Nice job. Just don't let anyone interrupt your healthy lifestyle. I did, multiple times, and now regret it. I could be doing so much better, though I can still walk a nearly impossible fishing stream. you just couldn't believe how tough a job that can be, in a swampy, beaver infested area. Down and dead trees all over the place, some grabbing at you shins as you try to push your way to the next hole, while others are high enough you have to literally climb over them with dead branches poking you in places you shouldn't be poked. It was a chore when I was in incredible shape. At almost 60 years, it's a real workout. I have to start walking again. I get to where I can walk as fast as I can for four miles, without breathing hard, and then let something interrupt my routine, for like a year, and have to start all over. Don't be me. Keep up the good work.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

let something interrupt my routine, for like a year, and have to start all over. Don't be me. Keep up the good work.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I hear you Chief. It seems like no matter what goal I set for myself, along comes an interruption. Mostly my kids. They are all grown and should be able to handle their own problems. But they still come running to me. I try to save up money for something I need or want, and along comes one of them who has a need more important than mine. I really need to say "NO!" But I did it this week. Pirate needed something and I refused to buy it for him. And it was an important item for his health. He needs to learn how to save for the future. My daughter needs to accept the fact that her husband is a lot sicker than she is willing to admit and will be lucky to see the end of this year. Planning trips when he can no longer even go up a short flight of steps is pure foolishness. And not wanting to disappoint her, her husband really gives it a hard try. But she has to face the fact that those trips are no more.

Spike needs to learn to take care of Spike and not distant relatives of his dead wife.

Hopefully, maybe this is the year I say NO to all of them. :angel:

Addie, Chief, don't let those interruptions get you down.. life has a way of intervening, just have to roll with the punches and never lose sight of the goal :)

I hear you Chief. It seems like no matter what goal I set for myself, along comes an interruption. Mostly my kids. They are all grown and should be able to handle their own problems. But they still come running to me. I try to save up money for something I need or want, and along comes one of them who has a need more important than mine. I really need to say "NO!" But I did it this week. Pirate needed something and I refused to buy it for him. And it was an important item for his health. He needs to learn how to save for the future. My daughter needs to accept the fact that her husband is a lot sicker than she is willing to admit and will be lucky to see the end of this year. Planning trips when he can no longer even go up a short flight of steps is pure foolishness. And not wanting to disappoint her, her husband really gives it a hard try. But she has to face the fact that those trips are no more.

Spike needs to learn to take care of Spike and not distant relatives of his dead wife.

Hopefully, maybe this is the year I say NO to all of them. :angel:

That is truly sad Addie. My sons have never once asked me to buy them anything since they've been grown. Where did yours ever get the idea that was possible or acceptable?

Ardchoille, this is a celebration of your accomplishment! Congrats on your weight loss!

I love walking, even though a rambunctious 23 pound beagle can take me down, breaking 2 ankles! I love her anyway.

Ardchoille, this is a celebration of your accomplishment! Congrats on your weight loss!

I love walking, even though a rambunctious 23 pound beagle can take me down, breaking 2 ankles! I love her anyway.

Thank you! Well, to be honest, walking is how I got started with this. I have been walking everywhere for over 10 years, I haven't owned a vehicle in about that long. And I've been eating fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, legumes and water for over a year - with some salmon, tuna or chicken now and then. I guess I had been building up to this for a while without realizing it.

I have my exercise bike in my living room (where I spend most of my time when not in the kitchen). If I want to watch TV, I ride my bike. I started with doing it during commercial breaks. Now the commercial breaks are when I get to get off the bike and do my hand weight exercises. I eat healthy, do a lot of physical labour around the homestead, and ride my bike. I don't walk because there is so much traffic on the road now that it was paved I would spend most of my time jumping for the ditch (no shoulders). Sad, I used to walk 3-5 km a day.

Last edited:
Congrats on the good work. I remember many years ago, I was a pack a day smoker and I ended up getting severe pneumonia. The nurse said she couldn't hear any air flow on the bottom half of my lungs and just breathing felt like getting kicked in the stomach. A was diagnosed with asthma during my follow up with my regular doctor a week later. Put me on the Advair Discus (inhale-able steroids) and a rescue inhaler. Couldn't do much physically without getting winded.

Spent a few months in the gym strictly on the treadmill, most of the first few weeks hitting my inhaler like a junkie. Took a few months of pushing myself, but I've all but completely cured my asthma. The only time I have a problem is when it's really cold out and I'm shoveling snow. Even then, the "attacks" are extremely mild. I have far more trouble with pollen these days.

Always an amazing feeling when you look down to a number 2-3 times bigger than you were expecting and you still have your breath. Congrats again!!

Congrats on the good work. I remember many years ago, I was a pack a day smoker and I ended up getting severe pneumonia. The nurse said she couldn't hear any air flow on the bottom half of my lungs and just breathing felt like getting kicked in the stomach. A was diagnosed with asthma during my follow up with my regular doctor a week later. Put me on the Advair Discus (inhale-able steroids) and a rescue inhaler. Couldn't do much physically without getting winded.

Spent a few months in the gym strictly on the treadmill, most of the first few weeks hitting my inhaler like a junkie. Took a few months of pushing myself, but I've all but completely cured my asthma. The only time I have a problem is when it's really cold out and I'm shoveling snow. Even then, the "attacks" are extremely mild. I have far more trouble with pollen these days.

Always an amazing feeling when you look down to a number 2-3 times bigger than you were expecting and you still have your breath. Congrats again!!
Hey, good job! Yeah, I don't put much stock in doctors anymore. I've been to medical school, I know their secrets.. curing disease is not their main priority.

Hey, good job! Yeah, I don't put much stock in doctors anymore. I've been to medical school, I know their secrets.. curing disease is not their main priority.

I don't know where you went to school, but that's not true of the doctors I've known and I have several chronic illnesses. You're slandering a lot of good people.

I don't know where you went to school, but that's not true of the doctors I've known and I have several chronic illnesses. You're slandering a lot of good people.

No offense, but I've heard this argument before and it's always from people who think their physician is helping them survive some major illness. Your attitude will change once you go to medical school.

Back
Top Bottom