"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-10-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
Senior Cook

This is what good nutrition will get you

Well, I guess it's time I stopped thinking I'm out of shape. I usually alternate between walking and jogging quarter mile laps on the treadmill, but today I walked the first quarter mile and then jogged for a mile. I stopped to check the treadmill readout to make sure it was actually a full mile.. and that's when I realized I was still breathing normally through my nose.. after a full mile! I could barely believe it!

This is what I get for eating healthy and daily exercise

Old 07-10-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Way to go ardchoille.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Cool.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Congratulations, ardchoille!
Old 07-10-2015, 07:01 PM   #5
Master Chef

Congrats, Ardchoille! Keep on keeping on, and feel free to post your results here. I could use some inspiration myself. I just talked to my 87 year old uncle a couple of days ago, he treadmills 3 times a day when he isn't out hiking.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Congrats, Ardchoille! Keep on keeping on, and feel free to post your results here. I could use some inspiration myself. I just talked to my 87 year old uncle a couple of days ago, he treadmills 3 times a day when he isn't out hiking.
I love walking and I think that is what helped a lot. I walk when I'm stressed, bored, angry, lonely, etc. so I get plenty of walking in. A healthy diet is the key, a person won't get much performance out of an unhealthy diet.

I think maybe CraigC doesn't realize I weighed 275 pounds just fifteen years ago and I've brought that down to 135 pounds today.. at age 51. I'm really the only one I have to impress.. mission accomplished :)
Old 07-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
Master Chef

Well....I can't claim to have the healthiest of diets , but I think it's awesome that you've reached a goal. Congratulations, Ardchoille.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:26 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
I love walking and I think that is what helped a lot. I walk when I'm stressed, bored, angry, lonely, etc. so I get plenty of walking in. A healthy diet is the key, a person won't get much performance out of an unhealthy diet.

I think maybe CraigC doesn't realize I weighed 275 pounds just fifteen years ago and I've brought that down to 135 pounds today.. at age 51. I'm really the only one I have to impress.. mission accomplished :)
You are an inspiration to me as well. Nice job. Just don't let anyone interrupt your healthy lifestyle. I did, multiple times, and now regret it. I could be doing so much better, though I can still walk a nearly impossible fishing stream. you just couldn't believe how tough a job that can be, in a swampy, beaver infested area. Down and dead trees all over the place, some grabbing at you shins as you try to push your way to the next hole, while others are high enough you have to literally climb over them with dead branches poking you in places you shouldn't be poked. It was a chore when I was in incredible shape. At almost 60 years, it's a real workout. I have to start walking again. I get to where I can walk as fast as I can for four miles, without breathing hard, and then let something interrupt my routine, for like a year, and have to start all over. Don't be me. Keep up the good work.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
let something interrupt my routine, for like a year, and have to start all over. Don't be me. Keep up the good work.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I hear you Chief. It seems like no matter what goal I set for myself, along comes an interruption. Mostly my kids. They are all grown and should be able to handle their own problems. But they still come running to me. I try to save up money for something I need or want, and along comes one of them who has a need more important than mine. I really need to say "NO!" But I did it this week. Pirate needed something and I refused to buy it for him. And it was an important item for his health. He needs to learn how to save for the future. My daughter needs to accept the fact that her husband is a lot sicker than she is willing to admit and will be lucky to see the end of this year. Planning trips when he can no longer even go up a short flight of steps is pure foolishness. And not wanting to disappoint her, her husband really gives it a hard try. But she has to face the fact that those trips are no more.

Spike needs to learn to take care of Spike and not distant relatives of his dead wife.

Hopefully, maybe this is the year I say NO to all of them.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:56 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Addie, Chief, don't let those interruptions get you down.. life has a way of intervening, just have to roll with the punches and never lose sight of the goal :)