Tilapia: The fish that is as bad for you as bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if there's one thing that i appreciate even more than brains, its humor and it appears that glc has both.... :)

dawg, i use caps (for emphasis) occasionally. you'd know that if you read my posts.... :)

vitauta said:
if there's one thing that i appreciate even more than brains, its humor and it appears that glc has both.... :)

dawg, i use caps (for emphasis) occasionally. you'd know that if you read my posts.... :)

Oh, sweetie, I was just teasing ya!

I think I saw something on PBS (maybe five years ago) about experimental hydroponics in Vermont. They were growing fish as well and using fish poop as fertilizer for the fruits and vegis.

This reminds me of that movie where they were growing people planted in the ground. They'd take out their vocal cords and plant them (I have no idea how they fed them and forget about the other obvious problems) and then they served the best darned bacon (and never mind where the bacon came from). I think it's a famous camp horror movie...

I'm sorry, I can't take this topic seriously, the idea that eating tilapia is as bad as eating bacon.

Anyway I take omega-3 fatty acid supplements (from Trader Joe's, 1200 mg fish oil = 400 mg EPA + 200 mg DHA) primarily because I think it helps reduce internal bodily inflammation (blood vessels) and if the premise in the article linked in the OP is true then my supplements would help me improve my 6:3 ratio.

Yeah, that was the movie! :D

I think I'll have a talapia and egg sandwich for breakfast this morning. I want to live dangerously...

i don't use caps because i don't want to. and i don't have to, cause i am old. and i can do pretty much what i want. lol

Ain't it wonderful. I'd have gotten old much sooner if I'd known. You can get away with all sorts of stuff.

"Don't pay any attention. He's old."

And I've still got it. I can't remember what it is, but I'm pretty sure I still got it. (Or will soon remember where I left it.)

NEVER eat Tilapia
NEVER NEVER NEVER

Also avoid deep water seafood. they are high in metals.

Also avoid deep water seafood. they are high in metals.

What are you defining as "deep water"? A hundred feet, 1000 feet, "Titanic" deep (13,000 feet) or "Challenger Deep" (7.5 miles)? Also what species?

Usually, the larger, apex predators are the fish to watch out for. Sardines, grunion, pearch, cod, sole, bass, sea bass, yellowfin tuna, halibut, small trout, salmon, and char, etc., are fairly safe to eat and have minimal heavy metal and dioxin concentrations. Fish like sharks, albacore tuna, swordfish, large salmon, such as pacific king (chinook), lake trout, basically, fish that eat lots of other fish, have higher concentrations of contaminants. Interestingly enough, the scourge of the great lakes, the lamprey eel, is considered a prize delicacy in Great Brittain. but we can't use them out of the Great Lakes due to high levels of contaminants. The eels are parasitic, and live off of the body juices of large trout and salmon, especially King Salmon (Chinook).

Know the science before jumping in and stating that all deep water fish are dangerous, or all warm water fish are more dangerous, etc. Generalizations are usually dangerous.

Just make sure that when you make a statement, you've done the research, and have references to point to.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Tilapia = Bait

I'm just say'n. We used to use tilapia for bait to catch larger fish, creating a more balanced diet for the fish eating it ? A healthy fish knows the wisdom of eating a variety of foods. What do you suppose the Incredible Mr. Limpit eats? :LOL:
I can't help myself, I still get a laugh every time I see tilapia in the market. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I've revised my opinion about talapia in recent months. As far as I can tell it has no distinct flavor or any other distinct qualities other than a generic fishness and one that can be easily farmed. Perhaps it's easy to fillet too, judging from the huge numbers of frozen tilapia fillets I see at supermarkets.

As far as taste I can't tell if it has any. I decided to quit eating tilapia simply because it has nothing to offer me. To anybody who wants to cook it I suggest covering it with a robust sauce.

Try Orange Roughy at Trader joes or any Pollock.
They are pretty good IMO

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom