"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Not a problem.
But think about it. How many kids does average American family have today? We are not overusing the land because we have so many people to feed. We are overusing the land because we are over eating. Before I came to America the 1/8 of a chicken and a cup of rice was a great dinner. Today I can eat this for a snack before the dinner or maybe after.
This isn't really the appropriate place to argue the point, but I strongly disagree with what you've said. I believe you're arguing from ignorance of the facts and using an emotional basis instead of a factual basis.

If you'd like to come over to my site, (in my profile), and continue the discussion, I'd be more than happy to. I'm "Hydro-1" on my site.

I think an extended discussion of this point between you and I would be a little out-of-place here on a cooking site, but well within the scope of a hydroponic vegetable growing site.

Your move...

Old 10-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
Master Chef

don't know where you get the Idea of me being amotional about it.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

charlie, with metered respect, it's silly to think everyone can have 10 children. there's no way to feed that many people with current farming practices. tim is on to something with hydroponics.

you are mixing political views about war and politics with the science of agriculture, hence the assumption you are being emotional rather than realistic.

to test my proposition, would it be ok with you if muslim families had 11 kids each?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
Master Chef

Where do you get idea that I am against hydroponics? I think it is awesome idea. It was first introduced years ago. Not exactly sure when. I do know that we were experimenting with it in my High School's green house and that were more years ago than I care to count. Unfortunately it is still not developed properly. Just like Sun's energy. Back in 70's people were talking about it. And still the use of sun energy is meager. There are so many natural ways to grow and produce but unfortunately a lot's of times the great ideas are tainted by politics.
And again, I got the feeling that Tim also thought that I was against hydroponics, absolutely not. I am all for it.

P.S. As far as 10 kids goes. Just because I wanted 10 kids, doesn’t mean I had them. I only have 5.

P.P.S. Tom, they do.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Hi Charlie, no, I didn't think anything you said pointed to hydroponic farming as being bad. Sorry if something I said made you think so.

Over the past 30 years, I've contacted quite a few farmers who use traditional soil farms and asked them if they would switch to hydroponic farming. Each of the ones I spoke to had already researched it and discovered two things:

1. It would be hugely advantageous financially for them to switch.

2. They could not afford to switch and no bank would cover the funds necessary to make that switch, as it would necessitate having NO crops for an entire year and setup costs would be astronomical.

Hydroponic farming produces roughly ten times the produce as soil farming, annually, and costs less to maintain and operate. The setup costs can be recouped in as little as 5 years, and anyone who makes it past that hurdle will be an instant multi-millionaire in one year.

The setup cost for a full scale hydroponic farm of about 40 acres is about one million dollars per/acre, at a minimum. No soil farmers I know of can afford that.

The corporations are slowly converting right now. When finished, it will be the end of any private, commercial soil farming. They simply won't be able to complete.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #16
Cook

I'm trying really hard to lower my omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. It has changed my entire diet! I'm living on this "anti-inflammatory" diet to try and help my sore ol' bod from being so sore.

The theory goes is that each food has an inflammatory rating. If that figure is 0, then the food is neutral. If it is negative, the food promotes inflammation in the body. If the value is positive, then the food is considered anti-inflammatory. Ideally the sum of the foods you eat in a given day is below 50.

Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com has a lot of foods rated.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

So, bacon is bad for us? That sucks. I ate a whole pound of it on Sunday.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #18
Head Chef

But was it sustainably wild caught bacon?

Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
Executive Chef

It was probably that darned hydroponically grown bacon, fed on high fructose corn syrup and omega-6 supplements, then cured in MSG!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #20
Executive Chef

HAhaHA--i didn't know you were funny like that, glc! :)

Tags
bacon, fish, tilapia