"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 03-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #31
Head Chef
And I've still got it. I can't remember what it is, but I'm pretty sure I still got it. (Or will soon remember where I left it.)

"Kitchen duty is awarded only to those of manifest excellence..." - The Master, Dogen
GLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #32
Assistant Cook
NEVER eat Tilapia

Also avoid deep water seafood. they are high in metals.

grndzro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #33
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by grndzro View Post
Also avoid deep water seafood. they are high in metals.
What are you defining as "deep water"? A hundred feet, 1000 feet, "Titanic" deep (13,000 feet) or "Challenger Deep" (7.5 miles)? Also what species?
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #34
Master Chef
Usually, the larger, apex predators are the fish to watch out for. Sardines, grunion, pearch, cod, sole, bass, sea bass, yellowfin tuna, halibut, small trout, salmon, and char, etc., are fairly safe to eat and have minimal heavy metal and dioxin concentrations. Fish like sharks, albacore tuna, swordfish, large salmon, such as pacific king (chinook), lake trout, basically, fish that eat lots of other fish, have higher concentrations of contaminants. Interestingly enough, the scourge of the great lakes, the lamprey eel, is considered a prize delicacy in Great Brittain. but we can't use them out of the Great Lakes due to high levels of contaminants. The eels are parasitic, and live off of the body juices of large trout and salmon, especially King Salmon (Chinook).

Know the science before jumping in and stating that all deep water fish are dangerous, or all warm water fish are more dangerous, etc. Generalizations are usually dangerous.

Just make sure that when you make a statement, you've done the research, and have references to point to.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #35
Sous Chef
Tilapia = Bait

I'm just say'n. We used to use tilapia for bait to catch larger fish, creating a more balanced diet for the fish eating it ? A healthy fish knows the wisdom of eating a variety of foods. What do you suppose the Incredible Mr. Limpit eats?
I can't help myself, I still get a laugh every time I see tilapia in the market.
Chef Maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #36
Executive Chef
I've revised my opinion about talapia in recent months. As far as I can tell it has no distinct flavor or any other distinct qualities other than a generic fishness and one that can be easily farmed. Perhaps it's easy to fillet too, judging from the huge numbers of frozen tilapia fillets I see at supermarkets.

As far as taste I can't tell if it has any. I decided to quit eating tilapia simply because it has nothing to offer me. To anybody who wants to cook it I suggest covering it with a robust sauce.
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #37
Assistant Cook
Try Orange Roughy at Trader joes or any Pollock.
They are pretty good IMO

grndzro is offline   Reply With Quote

bacon, fish, tilapia