"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
Senior Cook

To lose weight, know what kind of physical condition you are in. A lot of people won't like this statement but most of dieting is between the ears. You have to want to do it. Begin slowly, don't radically change your lifestyle. You have to set a sensible goal, reach it, and set another attainable goal. It could be getting into that last pair of pants you out grew. You may have ten of these to do, but one at a time makes more sense. You must stop eating the junk food. You shouldn't eat anything past dinner. Dinner time will vary for each individual, but get on a schedule. Stop the sodas, diet and all. Stop the alcohol, especially the beer. Many people have real problems giving this up and that should tell you something if you can't. You must exercise. Start by stretching everyday. Walk, ride a bike, run, swim, work out, get into aerobics, yard work, or anything at which you can break a sweat. After stretching every day, change the routine, have a variety of workouts. And yes, it's going to hurt. For some it will be excruciating. Keep going, baring an injury. Don't expect much the first month. The body takes time to adjust. You will get results and confidence will build. The hardest part is getting started. You will slip from time to time but when you see and feel the results of your efforts, you'll slip less. It is a lifestyle.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
There is a reason why Weight Watchers is the only "program" that really works over time. And you hit the nail on the head with "Lifestyle."
You have to change the way you eat forever. Otherwise, the weight will all come back and moreso.

I watched a rerun of Oprah last night with Kirstie Alley (fat again) and she undeniably agrees with that.

There are no gimmicks, no pills, that will do it over time.

I disagree with this statement; "Be realistic on the time issue. You shouldn't be losing anymore than 2-3 pounds a week after your
first 2 weeks of your new lifestyle." Because most women over 35 will NOT lose even 2 pounds per week. If you expect to do that, you will be setting yourself up for disappointment. My experience is that an average of 1 pound per week is more realistic. And that should be fine. If one keeps up a one pound per week loss, at the end of a year, one would have lost 52 pounds! and that's probably more weight than most of us need to lose in the first place!

In addition to writing down every morsel you put in your mouth, I've found the most effective tool is getting on the darn scale every single day. It keeps my goal more firmly in my mind.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post

In addition to writing down every morsel you put in your mouth, I've found the most effective tool is getting on the darn scale every single day. It keeps my goal more firmly in my mind.
ChefJune, I respectfully disagree with the scale approach. Weight can vary from day to day and some can really get disappointed if they are up two pounds on a given day. Try a two week interval. I still like the clothes approach. If a guy is wearing a 40 pant size and he's really a 34, he has a pair of 38's in his closet. Make that your goal, the weight will take care of itself. That's the way I see it, please take no offense.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Phil, I know the weighing every day doesn't work for everyone, but I've found it the best way for me to keep a check on myself.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I agree and am proof...diets don't work. Change your lifestyle.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #16
Head Chef

I have used several diets and had good luck but then it comes back on. so I decided that changes way of eating instead. works for me. Everthing in moderation. I still have the sweets one cookies instead of 6 and not everyday. I eat on a small plate so you don't eat a full plate and no seconds. Plenty of water, and the main thing is breakfast . since I started eating breakfast i find that I am more satified till noon. I eat my biggest meal for lunch instead of supper whenever possiable. Then a light supper. I been losing slower but it has stayed off. I find i don't crave things anymore, because I'm not denying myself. I still go out and have Icecream with the grandkids. I just get a kids size cones instead.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #17
Master Chef

i'm opposite, guys, & i can lose me some weight! i diet. i avoid gimmicks & pills, & just plain 'ol diet & exercise. i drink regular pop, alcohol, eat steak & just yesterday bacon, & bread & bagels. moderation!
Old 07-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #18
Master Chef

I have lost 10 lbs in the last year simply by cutting out sweets. I still drink my Miller Lite.
Next on the agenda is tackling the fats.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyMc View Post
I completely agree with your post. It has to be a lifestyle change, not a diet. After you lose the weight, to maintain the loss, you have to change the lifestyle that you led. Two years ago, I knew that I had to lose weight, or else I was going to die young, or have multiple health problems as I grew older. My biggest fear was being told by a doctor that had I not been so overweight, I wouldn't be facing a terrible health condition.
My biggest problem has always been motivation and determination. The littlest setback, and I was ready to give up. As soon as I overate, I'd quit the diet and tell myself I'd start over on Monday. I hated myself and my weakness.
I wrote down what I considered to be my trigger foods..foods that I can't resist, or don't want to resist. Everyone can lose weight and stay healthy if they would just eat in moderation. Well guess what? I can't eat in moderation. I had to face that and accept it. I also had to learn to deal with disappointments. OK, so I screwed up..get back on the wagon...now. Not tomorrow morning, not Monday morning, or after vacation. Do it with your next meal. And, don't hate yourself for over eating again. Just forgive yourself and get your head in the right place before the next meal.
I've lost 170 lbs so far. I'd like to lose a few more, but if that doesn't happen, I'm ok with that. I can't obsess over it any more. I may not look like a model, but I can walk around the block with out hurting, my knees don't hurt, my BP is excellent. I have no weight related health concerns. I can hold my head up when I walk into a room and not worry who's laughing at the fat lady. I'm not a fat lady any more. I'm an average lady. I can live with that.
Chrissy
Really excellent success story.

I always used to take ghee (clarified butter ) with hot rice as a meal starter, that is considered to increase our digestive ability and give extra energy. But I had stopped this habit and I lost 5 kilos in 5 months.

So some minor change in our diet can make us healthy.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:57 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Many people think that the selection of healthy foods to eat is limited in choice and quite tasteless. They also think that to eat healthily means walking around half starved most of the time. This perception deters people from forming new and nourishing eating habits. A healthy diet can not only be made tastier, it can actually fill your stomach so much that you don’t want to fill it again. But this depends on how well you plan your diet.

Tags
diet, fat loss, weight loss