To Diet Or To Lifestyle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Step one to a new lifestyle.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It seems there is always the latest frenzy of diets. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Brand name diets come and go as quickly as Octomom[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]is having babies. Then there are the “Extreme” diets.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I would say over 95% of diets out there work. I do [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]question ones health on extreme diets that [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]advertiser losing 7-10 pounds per week; when a [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]healthy weight loss should be no more than[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2-3 pounds a week.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The problem with the word “DIET” is that you can't[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]stay on them forever. One could end up with serious[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]health issues staying on an “Extreme” diet over the[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]recommended length of time. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Forget the diets, forget the calorie counting unless[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]you're a professional athlete. How about a lifestyle [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]change. Make a decision, a promise to change the[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]way you're eating, to excersie consistently, to have[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]a new LIFESTYLE on your own health. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Start by a decision. Write your goals down on a [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]3 x 5 card and place it on your bathroom mirror.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The goals should be:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]How much do you want to weigh.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]When do you want to achieve the new weight.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Be realistic on the time issue. You shouldn't be[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]losing anymore than 2-3 pounds a week after your[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]first 2 weeks of your new lifestyle.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Take a head to toe photo. Take measurements of[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]arms, chest, waist, hips (if female) and thighs. Get[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]serious, take your lifestyle by the horns. [/FONT]
You are an optimist! Thanks for positive and fighting spirit!:)

Exercise is key. Incorporate at least 30 minutes of activity a day and that makes for a healthier lifestyle.

Lifestyle change. Keep everything consistant: exercise, meal times, food/drink intake.

That way you're body gets used to it, rather than dieting for a few weeks and then going back to normal. You're just confusing your metabolism that way.

O.K. I'll jump in also.
I hate that 4 letter word DIET. I've had weight issues for 36 years, it started when I was 14 and puberty set in, female stuff, you know.
Anyway 8 months ago I was feeling lower than I had ever felt. It hurt to get out of bed every morning, I weighed 310 pounds, I suffer from depression that I have to deal with without anti-depressants due to allergies, and personal family problems.
I sat down with my DH one evening and told him that I was changing my life and he lovingly held my hand and said, "Honey what ever it takes, I'm 110% behind you. I will eat whatever you put in front of me and join you in this journey for a new healthier lifestyle. I'm now averaging 1 pound a week (31 lbs.) and I truly feel better. I don't deprive myself, I'm not gonna spend my life feeling deprived. I love food and cooking, that's why I'm on this awesome forum, but I love living and watching my awesome son grow up much, much more.
To put it more simple...
When I changed my attitude, I changed my life!

Very Well Said. Its really difficult for a person fond of eating to control and go on a diet when you have number of delicious dishes to try out. You just need to set yourself to a limit and daily exercise would help you go down by a few pounds daily. Going on a serious diet may cause some health problems as well.

Your "diet" should be what you plan on eating for the rest of your life... Make a list of healthy foods that you find tasty... There's no point eating heath foods that you hate because you'll never make it in the long haul. Pick healthy foods you'll enjoy, make a list and see what types of dishes can be made from those foods; also make a list of ingredients that are "no-no's" ... Once you have a rhythm of eating correctly you can every now and then indulge in sweets just as long as you're mainly staying on a healthy diet.

I've found that it's far easier to change SLOWLY. Don't jump headfirst into the deep end of the pool, just make one healthy change that you can live with. Once you have incorporated that change into your lifestyle, make another. And a word to the wise, while exercise is important, what you eat has more to do with weight control for most folks.

i diet, & that works VERY well! i went from 164 to 125.5 in 4 months. that weight is gone, & it's not returning. i quit taking a med that was making me hearty, & dieted for a few, & now i'm at the weight my dietician decided for me. (126 is my ideal.) i don't know why people hate dieting so; i'm not very hungry when i'm losing weight, i just get used to being on empty.

i don't know why people hate dieting so; i'm not very hungry when i'm losing weight, i just get used to being on empty.

It's because when people diet they feel deprived. And then you stay strong for 1-2 weeks, and then binge like you've never seen food before! Or maybe that's just me.:)

i diet, & that works VERY well! i went from 164 to 125.5 in 4 months. that weight is gone, & it's not returning. i quit taking a med that was making me hearty, & dieted for a few, & now i'm at the weight my dietician decided for me. (126 is my ideal.) i don't know why people hate dieting so; i'm not very hungry when i'm losing weight, i just get used to being on empty.

Most can only deprive themselves for so long before they crash and burn.

The last time that I took the weight off, I too swore that it would never come back. Well guess what? It came back. I got focused and dieted with willpower to spare, I ate only 1500 calories a day period, if I was out of calories, I was done eating for a day. I didn't learn a new way of eating just a way of losing weight, and when I reached my weight goal, I rewarded myself and old habits slowly came back, and so did the weight.

I don't think that I could live my whole life on that diet, it would be too hard.

I agree as said earlier that sticking to a strict regimen is not the way to go for most. I learned that "cheat meals and days" are not as they sound.

Lost 20 pounds in 3 months last year. ONe of the biggest things I attribute it to is Calorie Cycling which includes sprinkling in high calories meals and days inbetween your low calorie diet.

I attribute my success to it.

In order to have a good diet one must have a good lifestyle. One must be conscious of what to eat but not to the extent of depriving yourself. As for me, checking for the nutrition facts for that particular food is very important to me.

Mmmmh ...
Although it is hard to start and maintain a healthy diet, nothing is impossible if you really want to achieve a healthy mind and body .And we can combine healthy diet with you lifestyle .
Experts say that though basic principle of healthy diet is simple, most people are having a hard time sticking to it. Major reasons may include a super busy lifestyle, work that causes a lot of stress or even an environment that is not conducive to having a healthy diet.

Another issue I don't see raised here is that food that is good for you is often more expensive than junk. When I was young and single and broke, I could live for a week on well under $10 if I ate a lot of ramen noodles and cabbage. Up that to fresh spinach and baby greens, chicken breast meat, and toss in some fresh fruit and it can cost you that much per day. Fast food is one heck of a lot cheaper than a good quality restaurant. THEN if you're a person who truly believes in organics and such, up it a little more. Nowadays I can afford to buy the healthy choices, and my husband encourages me to do so (the fridge is full of fruit and vegs), but my grocery bills would apall some people.

Another issue I don't see raised here is that food that is good for you is often more expensive than junk. When I was young and single and broke, I could live for a week on well under $10 if I ate a lot of ramen noodles and cabbage. Up that to fresh spinach and baby greens, chicken breast meat, and toss in some fresh fruit and it can cost you that much per day. Fast food is one heck of a lot cheaper than a good quality restaurant. THEN if you're a person who truly believes in organics and such, up it a little more. Nowadays I can afford to buy the healthy choices, and my husband encourages me to do so (the fridge is full of fruit and vegs), but my grocery bills would apall some people.

Exactly. The sign outside McDonalds is advertising 50 McNuggets for 9.99. It would be really hard to beat that on price alone.

Back
Top Bottom