"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
Cook

Top ten food additives to avoid.

I hope this is OK. This is a link to another forum that I visit. It's actually a billiard forum, this section of the forum is called non-pool related. A lot of political talk but it's open for any topic. I have been following this particular thread because I have digestive issues and try to be healthy. There are many articles that will open your eyes on things you're putting in your body.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=213485

Some of the articles besides the one that is in this thread title...

Fluoride in Water Linked to Lower IQ in Children
December 22nd, 2010
Via: Press Release Fluoride Action Network:

The Chicken Which Should be Banned
Posted By Dr. Mercola

How to Actually Remove Pesticides From Your Fruit
Popular Science

After Reading This Article About The Danger Of GMOs, You Will Probably Never Want To Eat Genetically-Modified Food Again
May 22, 2019 by Michael Snyder

The 6 Safest Cookware Options (And Which Ones You Want to Avoid)
By Josh Corn

strmanglr scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
Cook

Figured I'd put up that first article....

Top 10 Food Additives to Avoid

Posted By Dr. Mercola | December 17 2010

1.Aspartame, also known as Nutrasweet and Equal, is believed to be carcinogenic and accounts for more reports of adverse reactions than all other foods and food additives combined.

The artificial sweetener Acesulfame-K has been linked to kidney tumors. All artificial sweeteners are bad news.

2.High Fructose Corn Syrup

High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) increases your LDL ("bad") cholesterol levels and contributes to the development of diabetes.

3.Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)

MSG is used as a flavor enhancer. It is an excitotoxin, a substance that overexcites cells to the point of damage or death.

4.Trans Fat

Numerous studies show that trans fat increases LDL cholesterol levels and increases your risk of heart attacks, heart disease and strokes.

5.Common Food Dyes

Artificial colorings may contribute to behavioral problems in children and lead to a significant reduction in IQ.

6.Sodium Sulphite

This is a preservative used in processed foods. People who are sulfite sensitive can experience headaches, breathing problems, and rashes. In severe cases, sulfites can actually cause death.

7.Sodium Nitrate/Sodium Nitrite

This common preservative has been linked to various types of cancer.

8.BHA and BHT

Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydrozyttoluene (BHT) are preservatives that affect the neurological system of your brain, alter behavior and have the potential to cause cancer.

9.Sulphur Dioxide

Sulphur additives are toxic and in the U.S., they have been prohibited in raw fruit and vegetables. Adverse reactions include bronchial problems, low blood pressure, and anaphylactic shock.

10.Potassium Bromate

This additive is used to increase volume in some breads. It is known to cause cancer in animals, and even small amounts can create problems for humans.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #3
Sous Chef

how many FDA warning letters and cease and desist letters has Dr. Mercola accumulated?
dcSaute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
Cook

Don't know but I'm not gonna trash a whole thread because of one guy. The thread is huge with many different contributors. As with anything on the internet, check it out for your own knowledge.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
Don't know but I'm not gonna trash a whole thread because of one guy. The thread is huge with many different contributors. As with anything on the internet, check it out for your own knowledge.
I believe dcSaute was referring to the article by Mercola you posted above. Mercola and his site are a couple of the least reliable sources of information about health on the internet. Their articles are misleading, if not downright lies. It's really not worth your time.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #6
Cook

There are many, many articles throughout that thread. Mercola just happened to be the author of one of the articles, not all of them through the thread.

I understood that he was saying about Mercola. Which is why I said I'm not gonna believe the whole thread is filled with similar authors, I know it's not. As you could see the article about getting pesticides off of fruit is by Popular Science. That article is helpful to anyone who eats fruit and is concerned about cancer causing pesticides.

Read it, don't read it. Just thought some might find it interesting and helpful. As I said, tons of legitimate info in that thread.

Edit: I'd be interested in what you or dcSaute object to in the article I posted from Mercola here. It all looks legit from things I've read by many others.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Edit: I'd be interested in what you or dcSaute object to in the article I posted from Mercola here. It all looks legit from things I've read by many others.
As a single example, the point about MSG is garbage. Billions of people in Asia use MSG like we use salt to season food and it used to be sold in the United States in the spice section of the grocery store, as Accent. No one reported problems with it until the writer of a single letter to the editor of the New England Journal of Medicine speculated that it might be the cause of some symptom he had after eating at a Chinese restaurant. Numerous clinical studies have shown no issues from consuming MSG. Note that the participants were randomly assigned to a test group so neither they nor the researchers knew who was receiving it.

Just so you know, I was diagnosed with chronic inflammatory bowel disease 30 years ago and have investigated all kinds of dietary claims. I worked at a medical school for 14 years and learned much about medical research. I have a lot of reliable sources I use for medical and health information and I simply dismiss anything from Mercola.

Pro tip: don't get health information from sources that want to sell you something.
Here's one of the sources I use for reliable health information: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/anc...ietary-demons/
Old 12-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #8
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
As a single example, the point about MSG is garbage. Billions of people in Asia use MSG like we use salt to season food and it used to be sold in the United States in the spice section of the grocery store, as Accent. No one reported problems with it until the writer of a single letter to the editor of the New England Journal of Medicine speculated that it might be the cause of some symptom he had after eating at a Chinese restaurant. Numerous clinical studies have shown no issues from consuming MSG. Note that the participants were randomly assigned to a test group so neither they nor the researchers knew who was receiving it.

Just so you know, I was diagnosed with chronic inflammatory bowel disease 30 years ago and have investigated all kinds of dietary claims. I worked at a medical school for 14 years and learned much about medical research. I have a lot of reliable sources I use for medical and health information and I simply dismiss anything from Mercola.

Pro tip: don't get health information from sources that want to sell you something.
Here's one of the sources I use for reliable health information: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/anc...ietary-demons/
So was I, same time, 30 years ago.

Not everyone who is trying to sell you something is wrong about what they are selling.

I take Garden of Life digestive enzyme and it works wonders. They have two types, the ultra stuff which is supposed to be better, doesn't do squat.

I also met a man who swore by chlorella and spirulina. I never took anything that has had such a positive effect on my health. I strongly urge you and everyone else to check that out. Watershed.net

I make no money or get any discounts for the sales there.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
So was I, same time, 30 years ago.

Not everyone who is trying to sell you something is wrong about what they are selling.

I take Garden of Life digestive enzyme and it works wonders. They have two types, the ultra stuff which is supposed to be better, doesn't do squat.

I also met a man who swore by chlorella and spirulina. I never took anything that has had such a positive effect on my health. I strongly urge you and everyone else to check that out. Watershed.net

I make no money or get any discounts for the sales there.
No thanks. I put my trust in my GI doctor who is also a professor at the medical school where I used to work. Good quality medical research is much more persuasive to me than random anecdotes.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:28 PM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
No thanks. I put my trust in my GI doctor who is also a professor at the medical school where I used to work. Good quality medical research is much more persuasive to me than random anecdotes.
Good for you.

I've followed many blind men too.

Rejecting the path to a healthy body when you are having issues with your body is ah, well, you fill in the blank.

Good luck to ya. I'm not here to argue, I know what has and does work.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:17 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Rejecting the path to a healthy body when you are having issues with your body is ah, well, you fill in the blank.

What fun. Another person who doesn't know me yet thinks he knows what's best for me G'night.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Good for you.

I've followed many blind men too.

I understand your point of wanting to post helpful information. But basically saying that GG is being led by someone who doesn't know what they're talking about and saying GG is "rejecting" the path to a healthy body is rather presumptuous, don't you think?

Just sayin'.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Consider the source .

Dr. Mercola, the anti-vaccer cited by the FDA for untruthful health claims and targeted by QUACKWATCH .
Old 12-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Consider the source .

Dr. Mercola, the anti-vaccer cited by the FDA for untruthful health claims and targeted by QUACKWATCH .
Sounds like an upstanding citizen

Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food