"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta

why on earth would your brother want to deny his 80 year old mother anything at all that she wants to eat or drink that isn't obviously harmful to her health? when (if) i ever get to be 80, nobody will be telling me i can't eat bacon, or sugar cubes, or drink wine, whenever i choose. even if i am incompetent. perhaps especially if i am incompetent. i am not going out with a whimper....
Didja mean incontinent, Vit?

I agree. Once you get to a certain age, NO-one should tell you what to eat or drink. Look at Bolas' 96 y. o. mum! She subsists on Godiva chocolates and smoked salmon.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #32
Executive Chef

now there's a lady who knows how to live! i'll bet she won't be denied--anything. i think i'd like to take a page from Her book! :)

Old 12-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
why on earth would your brother want to deny his 80 year old mother anything at all that she wants to eat or drink that isn't obviously harmful to her health? when (if) i ever get to be 80, nobody will be telling me i can't eat bacon, or sugar cubes, or drink wine, whenever i choose. even if i am incompetent. perhaps especially if i am incompetent. i am not going out with a whimper....
You know...if my Diabetics are going to be staying with us, instead of going home, I let them eat whatever they want. They have orders for insulin that helps them out and it is one less thing they have to give up.

Even Diabetics who are going home, if they want to eat what they like, no amount of "teaching" (nagging) is going to get them to change. Those who want to learn and follow I am more than happy to do the teaching, explain their diabetes, etc.

Also, if someone is in their 80's, reasonably good health, they are not going to become diabetic by eating ice cream at every meal. When I get old I want to wear purple and red, I want to eat what I want...I believe if I do the same for my patients, that the good karma will come back to me when I need it.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You know...if my Diabetics are going to be staying with us, instead of going home, I let them eat whatever they want. They have orders for insulin that helps them out and it is one less thing they have to give up.

Even Diabetics who are going home, if they want to eat what they like, no amount of "teaching" (nagging) is going to get them to change. Those who want to learn and follow I am more than happy to do the teaching, explain their diabetes, etc.

Also, if someone is in their 80's, reasonably good health, they are not going to become diabetic by eating ice cream at every meal. When I get old I want to wear purple and red, I want to eat what I want...I believe if I do the same for my patients, that the good karma will come back to me when I need it.

as usual, you are practicing your enlightened and respectful worldview in your nursing work with patients, pf. sadly, i'm sure there are precious few others in your profession who share your views or broadminded approach to practical nursing. we should designate you as the prototype for how all nurses should treat their geriatric patients--with respect and compassion.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love my old folks, I have never in all my life and multiple jobs, enjoyed my work as much as I enjoy taking care of them. Most of them are very sweet and grateful for anything we can do for them. Even those that are chronically cranky can bring a smile to my face, just from their refusal to back down.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:34 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
I love my old folks, I have never in all my life and multiple jobs, enjoyed my work as much as I enjoy taking care of them. Most of them are very sweet and grateful for anything we can do for them. Even those that are chronically cranky can bring a smile to my face, just from their refusal to back down.
I am faxing you my mom, PF. Thanks for all the good you do! You should expect her sometime around 3 a.m.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:36 AM   #37
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I am faxing you my mom, PF. Thanks for all the good you do! You should expect her sometime around 3 a.m.

I'll set my alarm!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Yup. I figure if my mom wants to drink Coke, she's 80. And, I buy it for her. She's so funny--when I come back from town, she'll ask if I happened to pick up any Coke...I always bring some home. The local gas station has the cheapest price, so I'll stop there and pick it up for her. And then she says, "don't tell your brother" when I pour her Coke. She can't have alcohol anymore, so I figure, if she wants a Coke, so be it. It is our cocktail hour--I split a Coke with her.

A friend's mom started smoking again at 88. My friend was so upset
(her mom had quit smoking when she was 27). I said, "if that's what she wants to do, let her do it. She's 88!"
Old 12-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
Because my brother is in denial and thinks that if my mother ate organic veggies, took probiotics, and didn't eat sugar, she would not have dementia. Wish it were so. I, on the other hand, buy her Coke and candy bars. And, I take her out to lunch for a greasy hamburger and a chocolate milk shake (with whipped cream on top) when I'm there.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Because my brother is in denial and thinks that if my mother ate organic veggies, took probiotics, and didn't eat sugar, she would not have dementia. Wish it were so. I, on the other hand, buy her Coke and candy bars. And, I take her out to lunch for a greasy hamburger and a chocolate milk shake (with whipped cream on top) when I'm there.
He doesn't know that we have been working on reversing Dementia and so far no luck...even at John's Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic.