"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
He doesn't know that we have been working on reversing Dementia and so far no luck...even at John's Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic.
Is Coke part of the protocol? Wish it could be reversed. I feed her blueberries every chance I get to no avail.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #42
Executive Chef

Thank you for the comments about my Mum, about 8 wks ago she had a fall physically she was just a bit bruised as she fell on grass( she would then only use the walking frame inside as she said it was bad enough being seen with a stick) the fall did scare her and she went off her food. The doc prescribe a small shot of sherry before lunch and dinner, this did the trick.

Nb for obvious reasons the sherry was kept in her bedroom, after 5 days she asked for another bottle I gently said Ma dont you think you should take it easy, she laughed and said Darling I never drink on my own. Her two friends both in wheel chairs come to visit. My kid brother wants to bug the room
This is Mum at 93yrsClick image for larger version

Name:	padeswood 014.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	12521

Old 12-03-2011, 01:17 AM   #43
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Is Coke part of the protocol? Wish it could be reversed. I feed her blueberries every chance I get to no avail.
No, but it makes her happy. That's the best thing!
Old 12-03-2011, 01:19 AM   #44
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Thank you for the comments about my Mum, about 8 wks ago she had a fall physically she was just a bit bruised as she fell on grass( she would then only use the walking frame inside as she said it was bad enough being seen with a stick) the fall did scare her and she went off her food. The doc prescribe a small shot of sherry before lunch and dinner, this did the trick.

Nb for obvious reasons the sherry was kept in her bedroom, after 5 days she asked for another bottle I gently said Ma dont you think you should take it easy, she laughed and said Darling I never drink on my own. Her two friends both in wheel chairs come to visit. My kid brother wants to bug the room
This is Mum at 93yrsAttachment 12521
Oh, she is so sweet and beautiful! I'd love the chance to sit and listen to her stories. Hey, I can see the resemblance.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Yup. I figure if my mom wants to drink Coke, she's 80. And, I buy it for her. She's so funny--when I come back from town, she'll ask if I happened to pick up any Coke...I always bring some home. The local gas station has the cheapest price, so I'll stop there and pick it up for her. And then she says, "don't tell your brother" when I pour her Coke. She can't have alcohol anymore, so I figure, if she wants a Coke, so be it. It is our cocktail hour--I split a Coke with her.

A friend's mom started smoking again at 88. My friend was so upset
(her mom had quit smoking when she was 27). I said, "if that's what she wants to do, let her do it. She's 88!"
you are a good daughter, cws. your mom probably enjoys the cozy little conspiracy you two share. and circumventing your brother's edicts is no doubt a kick for her too. i know that if i'm still around in my eighties and want to smoke again, i'm gonna. i am also lucky to have a daughter who wouldn't begrudge me smoking though she hates it, or marijuana either, even if it's still illegal....
Old 12-03-2011, 01:32 AM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:

A friend's mom started smoking again at 88. My friend was so upset
(her mom had quit smoking when she was 27). I said, "if that's what she wants to do, let her do it. She's 88!"
Thats interesting we told Mum 2 wks ago we were stopping, she was pleased and said she may start again as its a proven fact that nicotine is a brain stimulant and wards off dementia.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:42 AM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Thats interesting we told Mum 2 wks ago we were stopping, she was pleased and said she may start again as its a proven fact that nicotine is a brain stimulant and wards off dementia.

i have a feeling that your mum is going to do as she pleases, period. so long as you don't believe the nicotine/dementia connection, and start smoking again...

how are you and your wife getting along without cigarettes these days?
Old 12-03-2011, 01:49 AM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:

This is Mum at 93yrsAttachment 12521
Out and about, isn't that the best thing in the world?

Good luck to each of you.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:08 AM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i have a feeling that your mum is going to do as she pleases, period. so long as you don't believe the nicotine/dementia connection, and start smoking again...

how are you and your wife getting along without cigarettes these days?
Okay thanks mate, we visited Nurse Prune for more patches and chewee, I forgot to take the patch off last night I had a really bad dream involving Nurse Prune, Baconlube and a stirrup pump. I cant wait to tell her
Old 12-03-2011, 02:23 AM   #50
Executive Chef

Quote:
Okay thanks mate, we visited Nurse Prune for more patches and chewee, I forgot to take the patch off last night I had a really bad dream involving Nurse Prune, Baconlube and a stirrup pump. I cant wait to tell her
Was there any black leather? This might turn into an....