Total Taste Loss - Meds or Old Age?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for the comments about my Mum, about 8 wks ago she had a fall physically she was just a bit bruised as she fell on grass( she would then only use the walking frame inside as she said it was bad enough being seen with a stick) the fall did scare her and she went off her food. The doc prescribe a small shot of sherry before lunch and dinner, this did the trick.

Nb for obvious reasons the sherry was kept in her bedroom, after 5 days she asked for another bottle:ermm: I gently said Ma dont you think you should take it easy, she laughed and said Darling I never drink on my own. Her two friends both in wheel chairs come to visit. My kid brother wants to bug the room:)
This is Mum at 93yrs padeswood 014.jpg

Thank you for the comments about my Mum, about 8 wks ago she had a fall physically she was just a bit bruised as she fell on grass( she would then only use the walking frame inside as she said it was bad enough being seen with a stick) the fall did scare her and she went off her food. The doc prescribe a small shot of sherry before lunch and dinner, this did the trick.

Nb for obvious reasons the sherry was kept in her bedroom, after 5 days she asked for another bottle:ermm: I gently said Ma dont you think you should take it easy, she laughed and said Darling I never drink on my own. Her two friends both in wheel chairs come to visit. My kid brother wants to bug the room:)
This is Mum at 93yrsView attachment 12521

Oh, she is so sweet and beautiful! I'd love the chance to sit and listen to her stories. Hey, I can see the resemblance.

Yup. I figure if my mom wants to drink Coke, she's 80. And, I buy it for her. She's so funny--when I come back from town, she'll ask if I happened to pick up any Coke...I always bring some home. The local gas station has the cheapest price, so I'll stop there and pick it up for her. And then she says, "don't tell your brother" when I pour her Coke. She can't have alcohol anymore, so I figure, if she wants a Coke, so be it. It is our cocktail hour--I split a Coke with her.

A friend's mom started smoking again at 88. My friend was so upset
(her mom had quit smoking when she was 27). I said, "if that's what she wants to do, let her do it. She's 88!"

you are a good daughter, cws. your mom probably enjoys the cozy little conspiracy you two share. and circumventing your brother's edicts is no doubt a kick for her too. i know that if i'm still around in my eighties and want to smoke again, i'm gonna. i am also lucky to have a daughter who wouldn't begrudge me smoking though she hates it, or marijuana either, even if it's still illegal....

A friend's mom started smoking again at 88. My friend was so upset
(her mom had quit smoking when she was 27). I said, "if that's what she wants to do, let her do it. She's 88!"
Thats interesting we told Mum 2 wks ago we were stopping, she was pleased and said she may start again as its a proven fact that nicotine is a brain stimulant and wards off dementia.:)

Thats interesting we told Mum 2 wks ago we were stopping, she was pleased and said she may start again as its a proven fact that nicotine is a brain stimulant and wards off dementia.:)

i have a feeling that your mum is going to do as she pleases, period. so long as you don't believe the nicotine/dementia connection, and start smoking again...:)

how are you and your wife getting along without cigarettes these days?

This is Mum at 93yrsView attachment 12521

Out and about, isn't that the best thing in the world?

Good luck to each of you.

i have a feeling that your mum is going to do as she pleases, period. so long as you don't believe the nicotine/dementia connection, and start smoking again...:)

how are you and your wife getting along without cigarettes these days?
Okay thanks mate, we visited Nurse Prune for more patches and chewee, I forgot to take the patch off last night I had a really bad dream involving Nurse Prune, Baconlube and a stirrup pump. I cant wait to tell her :)

My paternal grandmother died at the age of 99 from the complications of a broken hip. She smoked Camel straights from the time she was 16 until 3 months before she died. I think she died because they forced her to quit smoking when she was in hospital. Not that I'm advocating smoking, but people die because of all kinds of things. I don't think my mom will die from having the odd glass of Coke. And yes, she likes the notion of pulling one over on my brother. He can be somewhat overbearing, but I love him anyway.

Bolas De Fraile said:

This is Mum at 93yrs

What a sweet lady, Bolas! She sounds like a real fun character!

Thanks Dawg she has renewed her joie de vivre because she has formed a "bad boy" friendship with Shirley a retired Womens Magazine editor who will not leave her room unless she has put her make-up on and Evo short for Everard a 89 yrs old one eyed lothario.Yesterday when we visited the craft lady was their, she asked what games they would like to play at the Christmas party, Evo replied musical chairs:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Bolas De Fraile said:
Thanks Dawg she has renewed her joie de vivre because she has formed a "bad boy" friendship with Shirley a retired Womens Magazine editor who will not leave her room unless she has put her make-up on and Evo short for Everard a 89 yrs old one eyed lothario.Yesterday when we visited the craft lady was their, she asked what games they would like to play at the Christmas party, Evo replied musical chairs:LOL::LOL::LOL:

That is just so cute!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom