"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Total Taste Loss - Meds or Old Age?

Talked to my mom tonight. She said in the last 3 months, everything she eats has absolutely no flavor. She was put on Asacol last January for Krohn's disease. I recently read an article stating that old age dulls the tastebuds, and meds and med mixes can too. I couldn't find any side effects from the meds she's on that diminish taste. I did tell her to talk to her doctor.

I suggested using more herbs, spices, pickles, olives, vinegar, etc. in her cooking. She likes chocolate milk, and squeezed a whole bottle of Hershey's chocolate syrup into her serving and still couldn't taste it. She's all of 95 pounds and needs to eat, has all her teeth and marbles, and is an adequate cook.

Any ideas as to how to make food have flavor for her?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Talked to my mom tonight. She said in the last 3 months, everything she eats has absolutely no flavor. She was put on Asacol last January for Krohn's disease. I recently read an article stating that old age dulls the tastebuds, and meds and med mixes can too. I couldn't find any side effects from the meds she's on that diminish taste. I did tell her to talk to her doctor.

I suggested using more herbs, spices, pickles, olives, vinegar, etc. in her cooking. She likes chocolate milk, and squeezed a whole bottle of Hershey's chocolate syrup into her serving and still couldn't taste it. She's all of 95 pounds and needs to eat, has all her teeth and marbles, and is an adequate cook.

Any ideas as to how to make food have flavor for her?
It's a combination of both, the last flavor is "sweet," meds and a mix of meds can cause a metallic taste that overrides everything and make it hard to taste. Have her try each flavor separate from each and see if there is one she can taste better than the others. Concentrate on adding that to each dish.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

It's a combination of both, the last flavor is "sweet," meds and a mix of meds can cause a metallic taste that overrides everything and make it hard to taste. Have her try each flavor separate from each and see if there is one she can taste better than the others. Concentrate on adding that to each dish.
Thanks, Princess! I knew you would have first hand knowlege. Great idea.

I ran her through "Can you taste pickles? Can you taste olives?" Sad, just when she's wanting to enjoy food, she can't taste it!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Thanks, Princess! I knew you would have first hand knowlege. Great idea.

I ran her through "Can you taste pickles? Can you taste olives?" Sad, just when she's wanting to enjoy food, she can't taste it!
Hopefully Beluga Caviar is not the only thing she can taste!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Hopefully Beluga Caviar is not the only thing she can taste!
Yeah, that and Maine lobster flecked with gold leaf!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Get her to smoke some marijuana that'll clear up all of her taste maladies.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Don't think Mom would consider that, but thanks!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Well, doctors prescribe it to cancer patients for the exact same reason. It's a lot better than the other random chemicals she's eating daily that are obviously hurting more than helping.

Option A) Take medicine, lose ability to taste and all interest in food plus other side effects.

Option B) Enjoy all foods immensely and gain necessary weight with no adverse side effects.

You present those options to anyone and I bet you every one of them choose option B. It can also be eaten.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
Well, doctors prescribe it to cancer patients for the exact same reason. It's a lot better than the other random chemicals she's eating daily that are obviously hurting more than helping.

Option A) Take medicine, lose ability to taste and all interest in food plus other side effects.

Option B) Enjoy all foods immensely and gain necessary weight with no adverse side effects.

that's not true.

you know, i could go for some chocolate milk right about now.

what were we talking about?

lol, j/k dawg.

my mil got the same way, with a diminished ability to taste things. we found she started to add way too much salt to things which was bad for her considering her heart, liver, and bladder issues. so be wary of your mom's diet even though she has to gain weight.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:32 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I hope you find a solution Dawg, my 96 yrs old Mum is a freak of nature she still puts a dab of channel behind here ears each morning then pencils her eyebrows, she will only eat Godiva chocs and Forman wild smoked salmon, I try to cheat but I just get a withering stare and a rather scarey raised eyebrow.
Ps tom in the late 60s she was a fan of sensi.