"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,136
Total Taste Loss - Meds or Old Age?

Talked to my mom tonight. She said in the last 3 months, everything she eats has absolutely no flavor. She was put on Asacol last January for Krohn's disease. I recently read an article stating that old age dulls the tastebuds, and meds and med mixes can too. I couldn't find any side effects from the meds she's on that diminish taste. I did tell her to talk to her doctor.

I suggested using more herbs, spices, pickles, olives, vinegar, etc. in her cooking. She likes chocolate milk, and squeezed a whole bottle of Hershey's chocolate syrup into her serving and still couldn't taste it. She's all of 95 pounds and needs to eat, has all her teeth and marbles, and is an adequate cook.

Any ideas as to how to make food have flavor for her?
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Talked to my mom tonight. She said in the last 3 months, everything she eats has absolutely no flavor. She was put on Asacol last January for Krohn's disease. I recently read an article stating that old age dulls the tastebuds, and meds and med mixes can too. I couldn't find any side effects from the meds she's on that diminish taste. I did tell her to talk to her doctor.

I suggested using more herbs, spices, pickles, olives, vinegar, etc. in her cooking. She likes chocolate milk, and squeezed a whole bottle of Hershey's chocolate syrup into her serving and still couldn't taste it. She's all of 95 pounds and needs to eat, has all her teeth and marbles, and is an adequate cook.

Any ideas as to how to make food have flavor for her?
It's a combination of both, the last flavor is "sweet," meds and a mix of meds can cause a metallic taste that overrides everything and make it hard to taste. Have her try each flavor separate from each and see if there is one she can taste better than the others. Concentrate on adding that to each dish.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

It's a combination of both, the last flavor is "sweet," meds and a mix of meds can cause a metallic taste that overrides everything and make it hard to taste. Have her try each flavor separate from each and see if there is one she can taste better than the others. Concentrate on adding that to each dish.
Thanks, Princess! I knew you would have first hand knowlege. Great idea.

I ran her through "Can you taste pickles? Can you taste olives?" Sad, just when she's wanting to enjoy food, she can't taste it!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Thanks, Princess! I knew you would have first hand knowlege. Great idea.

I ran her through "Can you taste pickles? Can you taste olives?" Sad, just when she's wanting to enjoy food, she can't taste it!
Hopefully Beluga Caviar is not the only thing she can taste!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Hopefully Beluga Caviar is not the only thing she can taste!
Yeah, that and Maine lobster flecked with gold leaf!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
Sous Chef
 
no mayonnaise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 553
Get her to smoke some marijuana that'll clear up all of her taste maladies.
__________________
no mayonnaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,136
Don't think Mom would consider that, but thanks!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #8
Sous Chef
 
no mayonnaise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 553
Well, doctors prescribe it to cancer patients for the exact same reason. It's a lot better than the other random chemicals she's eating daily that are obviously hurting more than helping.

Option A) Take medicine, lose ability to taste and all interest in food plus other side effects.

Option B) Enjoy all foods immensely and gain necessary weight with no adverse side effects.

You present those options to anyone and I bet you every one of them choose option B. It can also be eaten.
__________________
no mayonnaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
Well, doctors prescribe it to cancer patients for the exact same reason. It's a lot better than the other random chemicals she's eating daily that are obviously hurting more than helping.

Option A) Take medicine, lose ability to taste and all interest in food plus other side effects.

Option B) Enjoy all foods immensely and gain necessary weight with no adverse side effects.

.
that's not true.

you know, i could go for some chocolate milk right about now.

what were we talking about?





lol, j/k dawg.

my mil got the same way, with a diminished ability to taste things. we found she started to add way too much salt to things which was bad for her considering her heart, liver, and bladder issues. so be wary of your mom's diet even though she has to gain weight.
__________________
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown,
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:32 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
I hope you find a solution Dawg, my 96 yrs old Mum is a freak of nature she still puts a dab of channel behind here ears each morning then pencils her eyebrows, she will only eat Godiva chocs and Forman wild smoked salmon, I try to cheat but I just get a withering stare and a rather scarey raised eyebrow.
Ps tom in the late 60s she was a fan of sensi.
__________________

__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.