"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 11-09-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Trans Fats

I'm glad to see that "Trans Fats" are being taken seriously in the public now. This stuff is the worst artery clogger out there. What's some other opinions about trans fats?

Old 11-10-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

I personally try and avoid trans fats at all costs. Some of my family members now have heart problems from eating too many fatty foods when they were younger, and before this issue was taken seriously. I always try and read nutrition labels on products, and determine if it's healthy for me or not in that category.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:41 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

It's hard to disagree with what you said. No question trans fats should be kept to a minimum in your diet as part of healthful eating.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:50 AM   #4
Master Chef

I believe the jury is still out on if "Trans" fats are actually any worse for you than the "Saturated" fats they mimic.

The big problem is that trans fats are still "technically" unsaturated fats ... so the nutritional labeling didn't have to list them as "saturated" fats (which is how the body metabolizes them) - until recently when Trans Fats had to be listed on the labels.

Limit your trans + saturated fats ... that is a good thing. But, I do not believe that Trans Fat in and of itself is any greater killer than pure saturated fats.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:16 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Limit your trans + saturated fats ... that is a good thing. But, I do not believe that Trans Fat in and of itself is any greater killer than pure saturated fats.

But that is sort of the point isn't it--we have discovered that saturated fats ARE bad for our health. And now we have discovered that a basically man made fat that exists only in order to prolong shelf life (and thusly a marketing tool) is the same thing and therefore should be eliminated or severely limited.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:46 AM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I'm fairly certain that trans fat is considered an LDL- Low-Density Lipoprotein, more commonly known as "bad cholesterol". As their name implies, LDLs weigh very little, and as such, are more easily carried by the blood, and therefore have greater chance to stick to your artery walls. So while it may be metabolized as a saturated fat, metabolism really only deals with the conversion of nutrients into an enrgy source usable by your body. Trans fatrs may be healthier in regards to metabolism. However, they will most certainly clog your arteries faster than saturated fats.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:34 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

"dr." mercola's a quack, just so you know!
Old 11-12-2006, 04:34 AM   #8
Head Chef

To avoid transfats, I cook/bake almost all our food from scratch. I very rarely buy processed food, even pastries. I bake pies very rarely because I try not to use Crisco if I can help it. So it is with a lot of relief that I came across reading about Crisco's zero-gram transfat product.

Has anyone used this? How was your experience? The only Crisco available here is the original formula with the transfats. I use it very rarely. Can't wait to find Crisco zero-transfat in the stores here...
Old 11-12-2006, 06:52 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
I mostly use olive oil. Is that bad too?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:09 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy
I mostly use olive oil. Is that bad too?
You are definitely on the right track. If it's a good brand of olive oil, it's beneficial to your overall health. In any event, you are no worse off than using any alternative oil or fat.