"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
It probably hasn't gotten there yet. This thing is still new to the city, and it may be a little while longer before it actually goes into effect.

Jeekinz, I think New York has already passed it into law now.

If they were considering it, it would be on their site.

I think you might be referring to the proposed statewide ban, which is also still just an idea.

I don't think Boston is near to doing this yet.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:35 PM   #12
Executive Chef

You might be right, but it came from the media and they could be wrong, but it IS being considered here.

And if I know the health officials like I think I do, this ruling will definitely be chosen. Mainly because health fanatics everywhere are sounding off against the use of trans fats in restaurants.

Philidelphia and Chicago are also considering the measure as well.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #13
Master Chef

It's a proposed statewide ban that you are referring to and not one specific to Boston.

It's the headline of the Globe today.

If it passes, it won't be because of "health nuts," it will be because the Restaurant Association no longer opposes it.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Some of the eateries say that they won't fight the measure, that they WANT it to go into effect.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:20 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Some of the eateries say that they won't fight the measure, that they WANT it to go into effect.
Well that is just silly. If those eateries really WANT it to go into effect then they are free to make those changes without any laws being in place.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

The big problem with all this trans fat hysteria is the death of common sense. I think it's pretty well known that artificial trans fats are bad. The problem is most of the laws don't take into account that there is natural trans fat as well which don't appear to have the same very negative affects as the artificial kind. But as far as the FDA is concerned, trans fats are trans fats and all must be eliminated. Then the unintended consequences follow.

Of course many will argue that animal fats are generally bad and should be avoided, but I believe in personal choice.

Here's a link to an article titled "Trans fat fight Claims Butter as a Victim".

Trans Fat Fight Claims Butter as a Victim - New York Times

Michael
Old 07-12-2007, 05:11 PM   #17
Cook

First of all I want to make sure that I understand the situation completely. Are they banning absolutley all sources of trans fat products in certain states of the United States?

Secondly, I would like to say that a ban on all trans fat foods would be a step in the wrong direction. I think that this is floating away from the fact that people are simply eating too much of the wrong foods. Naturally occuring trans fats will be fine in moderation. The problem is that to many people are eating to much meat, butter, margarine, cakes, pies and the like.

A ban such as this is paying to much attention to trans fats, and not enough attention to the other harmful side effects of eating too much of the wrong foods. I believe this ban is giving false piece-of-mind to anyone who eats certain foods in thinking that they are in anyway healthy, when they simply are not.

The foods do not "have" to be banned, even though it might be better off if they were. After all, some of these foods taste great, and are fine in moderation. But the people that eat them need to fully understand that this food can increase your chance of heart failure, obesity, and many other unappealing side effects.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying." - Woody Allen
mitch_the_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:28 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Well that is just silly. If those eateries really WANT it to go into effect then they are free to make those changes without any laws being in place.

They probably already have.

And like I might have said in an earlier post, for your health to have been put in danger from this, you'd have to be eating it by the boatload every day.

But you're right, no one has to wait for this to become a law. They can switch over right now, if they want to.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:01 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Of course, you'd have to be eating this by the boatload every day in order for it to do any damage to your health!
Actually Corey its really,really bad stuff it is basically plastic and it attaches to your arteries really fast they use it because its really cheap and gives bakery products longevity and crispness etc.From what I understand if you must eat products with it, it should be no more than 2 grams daily.The problem is alot of products advertise no transfat but by law they still can include 1/2 gram of transfat per serving serving and label it no transfat.You need to check ingredient label if it says partially hydrogenated oil even when the label says no transfat you are still getting a 1/2 gram per serving.Margarine is really bad as some other products as they say cholesterol free yet the transfat is way worse.
It will make your cholesterol sky rocket ..You would not believe just how many products have this stuff about 70 % of what what we buy has it, even frozen french fries ,bakeries that dont use real butter which most dont to keep cost down use it.If you start reading the ingredients labels any time it says partially hydrogenated oil it means one thing transfat.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #20
Executive Chef

In some cases, it can't be avoided at times.

It's in certain other foods like most brands of peanut butter, oleo spreads, pie crusts, pastries, lard (if it has it), and a host of other foods. Also, those snack foods such as corn curls, corn chips, potato chips, and probably those pre-made foods and frozen dinners.

But in those cases, never mind the trans fats, because the blasted salt alone can eventually kill, driving up the blood pressure level to astronomical proportions! So if the trans fats dont get you, the salt will.