"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-14-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
Hospitality Queen

Triglycerides - helpful tips?

My cousin just found out his triglycerides were quite an issue. I'm wondering if anyone else has any helpful hints as to appropriate meals, snacks, etc that may help him in altering his diet. Thanks so much!

Old 01-14-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
Senior Cook

besides the obvious...avoid high fructose corn syrup

Old 01-14-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

Unfortunately, this is a guy who loves soda, pasta, rice and sweets! It will be difficult, but I really think he can make a positive change.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:17 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Jkath,
there is a med that can be taken to lower triglycerides. It's called Lopid, or Gemfibrozil.
My mother took it for years and it kept her level down..The doctor, should have suggested ways to lower tryglycerides, it's difficult to do and some of us need help.The med works well and will really help if he finds it impossible to do on diet alone.
kadesma
Old 01-15-2007, 05:51 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
avoid alcohol is suposed to help no end also, apparently you`re not suposed to drink alc for a good 3 days prior to the test either.
I found that out the hard way, my result came back as 13.4 (it`s suposed to be about 2).
I did the fasting bit, but I`de had several beers the day before :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
Hospitality Queen

Thank you both! I'll be sending this info along to him.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:56 PM   #7
Senior Cook

All medications come with side effect that you have to weigh the risks against. Since you dont say what his doctor is recommending, start with eliminating trans fats, which can raise triglicerides. Then try adding essential fatty acids to the diet in the form of olive oil and flax seed oil, and back off on the polyunsaturated oils. There are so many reasons for this. He could try to move his diet towards complex carbs and high fiber foods. Lower the amount of carbs he eats in favor of fresh fruit and vegetables. I'm not a physician, I only know what I have read in nutrition books. Increasing physical activity is also supposed to help. If he really likes soda and sweets a lot, he might try substituting fresh fruit smoothies with no added sugar. they are usually sweet enough. It is probably that love of pasta and sweets that got him high triglicerides in the first place, and trying to find whole grain non sweetened alternatives will probably help. good luck
Old 01-17-2007, 07:07 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I take lopid and it has definitely brought both my triglycerides and cholesterol down to normal. I've had no side effects, but there are always possibilities.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:01 PM   #9
Master Chef

Triglycerides are the fatty substance that is created an excess of blood sugar is recognized by the body. In other words, any glucose which is not immediately metabolized into energy is changed to triglycerides and stored in fat cells.

Triglycerides come from eating fat, no matter what kind, simple and complex carbs, and protiens. Virtually all foods contain substances that are converted to blood sugar, and then to triglycerides for storage.

Insulin, the hormone that is secreted by the body when blood sugar levels rise, performs two funtions. It causes cells to absorb blood sugars for energy, and triggers the body to convert blood sugar into triglycerides for storage against famine.

So, the treatments to reduce triglycerides usually include exercise (burns more blood sugars through increased energy requierments by the body, portion control, increasing fiber (helps control the absorption of carbs into the blood, and sugar is synonimous for carbohydrate), and reducing opr eliminating starch and sugar intake.

High triglyceride levels can be warning signs that something else is wrong, such as diabetes.

Be careful of fruit juices and smoothies as they can contain significant carbohydrate loads, especially if purchased rather than made at home. Even if made at home, juices and many fruit smoothies contain high amounts of sugar in a small serving. Think of it like this. How many oranges does it take to make a 6 ounce glass of juice. I believe its 3 to 4. So drinking 6 ounces of orange juice is like eating 3 or four oranges, without the natural fiber, and other nutrients found in the orange. And apples, those little round fruits that are so good for you whole, contain huge amounts of sugar when made into juice.

I recomend you take a look at the glycemic index to learn how different food types affect blood sugar. Adn remember, any blood sugar not used immediately for energy is converted into tryglycerides for storage as fat. And the excess floats around in the blood.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:18 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

My DH has high triglycerides (I think it was 500), low Good Cholestrol and low Bad cholestrol (he is also anemic). He has a insatible sweet tooth. I have tried to wean him off sweets and primarily cook whole grains, lots of vegetables, and soy. The doc is giving us a trial period before prescribing a Rx. I also put him on a supplement called Guggle Guggul (Himalaya) by Himalaya - Ayurvedic Herbs Direct; We hope this will work.