"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

I bought Stevia to try because of this thread. My conclusion is that for me it is not worth it. Even though Stevia is supposed to be much sweeter than sugar, my wife and I did not find that to be the case. The first time she used it in her coffee she put package after package in and could not get to the desired sweetness. When she tried it in her tea her results were much better. I did not have the same luck though. When I tried it in my tea it got close to sweet, but never over that threshold.

As far as sugar substitutes go, I would rack it as the one that tastes the best and if I HAD to use a sugar sub then this is what I would use, but since I am luckily not in that situation I will continue to use real sugar.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
Cook

if you use the plant leaf is it less intense?

Old 02-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Which is exactly the point that multiple people tried making about MSG. Yes, in moderation all of these things are essentially harmless.
MSG in moderation isn't good enough for me. I get the weird "headache".
Old 02-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #14
Head Chef

Truvia is not stevia. It's leading ingredient by weight is an alcohol sugar. And there's no unmodified stevia in it. Now the alcohol is added in an attempt to give it a more natural sugar taste, sugar taste being different from sweetness. And it also help in the process of creating a granular state similar to table sugar. Like all flavors, the sensation can be different for different individuals. And no matter how sweet, the sensation that's expect from a sweetened cup of coffee can seem to be lacking if the flavor isn't right.

Stevia extract powders often contain considerable maltodextrin to try to bring the sweetening power down to equivalent volumes of sugar. But there's another taste factor. No sugar substitute is going to taste like sugar to everyone, and their guess as to how to balance sweetness with the particular flavor of the concoction will be close to right or far from it, depending on the individual.

It's kind of like the recent chicken stock thing. Some are completely happy with a largely chemical composition that emulates to some degree the flavor. They will happily use the fake. Others will gag on it and will accept the flavor of nothing but actual stock. It's the curse of the fake food engineer's existence to be forever trying for balance.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

GLC, that reminds me of high fructose corn syrup. Some people can't taste that it isn't sugar. I can't stand the Coca Cola we get in Quebec, because of the HFCS. I have a friend who used to stock up on kosher for passover Coca Cola, because it isn't made with grain.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
Head Chef

I don't know. I'd like to see those people play "Pick the Cane Sugar" with the corn syrup and "throwback" versions of Pepsi and Coke. Human perception is such that even they can't be sure themselves if they're reacting to the ingredients or the label. And I have no faith at all in the judgment when it's a matter of claiming "it tasted better when I was a kid." Everything tasted better when we were kids, from charred marshmallows to blackened wieners. It's not that there's not a difference in flavor. It's whether anyone can detect the difference in the drink. It's all pretty much sugared battery acid, anyway.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
I don't know. I'd like to see those people play "Pick the Cane Sugar" with the corn syrup and "throwback" versions of Pepsi and Coke. Human perception is such that even they can't be sure themselves if they're reacting to the ingredients or the label. And I have no faith at all in the judgment when it's a matter of claiming "it tasted better when I was a kid." Everything tasted better when we were kids, from charred marshmallows to blackened wieners. It's not that there's not a difference in flavor. It's whether anyone can detect the difference in the drink. It's all pretty much sugared battery acid, anyway.
I usually would agree with your point of view. But, in this case, I noticed because I wasn't much of a Coke drinker. They brought out "New Coke" and everyone complained, so they brought back "Coke Classic". I tasted each of them and concurred. Then I didn't drink any Coke for about half a year. When I did, much to my surprise, my reaction was bleh! That's just like the new stuff. They had switched the "Coke Classic" by increments so people didn't notice. Since I hadn't had it for a while, I noticed.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Since I rarely consume HFCS anymore, I can detect it in things like soft drinks where there is a lot of it. To me it has a distinct flavor and mouthfeel that real sugar doesn't have.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I can tell the difference between Pepsi and Pepsi Throwback, tastes different. Regular Pepsi with HFCS I drink and drink and drink and never get enough. Pepsi Throwback can take me three days to finish one bottle. My body is looking for the glucose.

The difference also shows up in my blood sugars, my body uses the sugar in Throwback, it stores the HFCS in Regular Pepsi...throws my bloodwork completely off. Cane Sugar or I won't eat/drink it.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I have a great big 275g bag of Stevia in the Raw that I will give to anyone who stops by to pick it up. It tastes funny! Everything I've tried using it in ended up tasting funny, too! It also has a terrible aftertaste.

I will stick with my Agave nectar. It tastes good and has a low glysemic index so it won't spike your blood sugar. The only problem is it is a bit expensive in the groshree store, but I can get twice the amount for about the same price at TJ Maxx.