Vegetable Chowder...Low Fat + Exchanges
Makes: 2 Quarts (8 Servings)
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium zucchini (1 pound), diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups homemade Vegetable Broth, or canned reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn,
or 1 cup canned corn, drained
- One 16-ounce can diced tomatoes, including juice
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil leaves,
or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- One 12 ounce can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) reduced-fat cubed American or light processed cheese
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the zucchini,onion, and parsley. Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the flour and stir until blended. Add the broth, lemon juice, and pepper. Stir while heating to a boil.
Add the corn, tomatoes with liquid, and basil; bring to a boil, stirring to prevent scorching.
Add the evaporated milk and heat just to boiling. Add the cheese; stir just until melted. Do not boil.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: (1 cup): Calories: 141, Fat: 4 g, Cholesterol: 7 mg, Sodium: 374 mg, Carbohydrate: 20 g, Dietary Fiber: 2 g, Protein: 9 g ++++ Diabetic Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1 Vegetable, 1 Very Lean Meat