"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 11-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Warding off holiday weight gain

Hi ladies- I'm brand new here and look forward to chatting with you all! I'm currently trying to lose a few lbs. and I'm really worried about the holidays and how "good" I will be. My family can put on a good amount of peer pressure about how much I eat and drink ("oh come on, you can have one more!")

I was reading an article on the Scott Common Sense site and it said to: Really taste your food-- We’re so used to rushing through meals that we rarely stop to enjoy what we’re eating. Slow down, chew your food and be mindful of the delicious flavors. -- isn't that a good hint? Usually I just plow through meals b/c they're so delicious. I need to learn how to savor I guess.

So how do you all do it over the holidays? Do you prepare certain low-cal recipes? If so, please share!

Old 11-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

the only thing i do is try not to use recipes that are total carbs and or a lot of sugar. splendia brown in sweet potatoes comes to mind

splendia can also be used in baking. generally i do half sugar and half white splendia. no i do not work for splendia, just cook with it. lol

Old 11-16-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
Master Chef

I have seriously been watching what I eat since early march and at first when I thought about how am I gonna get through thanksgiving and christmas dinner, especially since I am cooking, I got a little worried. I decided to look at it a whole different way. Thanksgiving dinner, it's just one meal, one day, why let it worry me. Enjoy your dinner and time with the family.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

babetoo- thanks for the advice on splendia :)

getoutamykitchen- I agree, it's just one meal, but I tend to overeat before and after. So maybe I'll make a few "leaner" dishes if I can't control my snacking!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
Head Chef

Yup, I agree. Its the snacking and extra eating during and after the holiday meals that is the killer, especially if you have family and/or guests around, which also means you have food and snacks constantly around. I never worry about "the" big meal itself.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Hi, I'm new too, I signed up a while ago but never posted. Then computer crashed and I forgot about this site.

I've been using splenda in a lot of cooking lately and that is what I will be doing during the holidays. My husband doesn't care for splenda plus he really doesn't need to lose weight but I do so will be cutting calories where ever I can. I made an apple pie with splenda not long ago and husband liked it, didn't tell him it was sweetened with splenda. lol
Old 11-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
Head Chef

Slowing down while eating is good, as is using smaller plates.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I've been on a diet and exercise regime since mid-March and have lost 65 of the 70 pounds I wanted to lose by Christmas. Personally, I am not going to worry about enjoying all of the wonderful foods that will be presented at Thanksgiving. I'm not going to pig out and have three pieces of pecan pie; but I am also not going to torture myself by being overly careful on Thanksgiving day. If I gain a pound or two, so what. I will cut back a little more the following week or ramp up my exercise a little. Thanksgiving is a once a year event and I plan to enjoy it.....but not go overboard!!
Old 11-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Wink

I am on a diet and have a goal to have lost 21 pounds by christmas. I am half way there
I would eat a nice salad before you go so your not starving.
offer to bring a dessert then make a low cal version of your favorite pie and keep it to yourself as a secret.
keep your portions down to a "taste" of the things you want.
Eat only the food you don't get everyday.
Have a large glass of water at the table
Most of all enjoy a nice walk and chat with your favorite nephew or whomever and have a
Wonderful thanksgiving
Old 11-24-2009, 06:40 AM   #10
Head Chef

Everything in Moderation !!!

No second helpings, fill up on the less fatting and only eat a little of the high calories.
so you get to taste everything but you fill up on lo cal stuff like veggies,

I also drink a glass of water before i sit down to dinner that way you are starting with something in your stomach.