"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-06-2006, 06:24 PM   #11
Cook

"Only 5 lbs"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
I started a very positive program this year that has made me feel more energetic, given me stamina and generally making me feel better. I have only lost 5 lbs in a month. I do water exercises for 1 1/2 hours M,W,F and go to Curves T,T,S. I know I'm more flexible because when I walk, my stride is quite a bit longer than before, my balance is better and I don't tire as soon. I suppose I will have to do a diet change also to lose weight. I'd like to lose about 30 lbs, so 25 more to go.
"ONLY" does not compute! - Sounds like you're doing it right. . You know, journey of a thousand miles etc etc. Good luck to you.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:42 PM   #12
Head Chef

I agree, warmer weather makes it a lot easier to get out and be active. I should be able to resume my nightly walks within a few weeks.

Old 03-07-2006, 04:59 AM   #13
Master Chef

You all are making me feel more inspired. I've gotten lazy lately. Oh, I get to my pilates class once a week (which I walk to ... 3/4 mile), and a step class once a week. But I've gotten lazy about just taking a walk. ITC, you and I have had a conversation about your walking problems, and I'm proud of you for sticking with it. We've had a slushy, rather dismal winter, and it is so much easier to sit with a glass of wine and take a nap. I'm really looking forward to spring this year.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:27 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Spring

How ironic that the season is called 'Spring'! Means one should start thinking of jumping into moving. I thought March was the mon th for Spring? Roy, you should be thinking of moving now so when the day comes you will be anxious. I just feel so much better when I have done my morning walk. I even have color in my cheeks from blood moving. If I wait till later in t he day, it never comes and may be the next day I don't do it either. I

I woke up this morning thinking maybe I'll pass today. When it got to be the time I go, I did. Surprised me how things seem to work out to be a habit. I have heard you do somet hing for 30 days and you will continue. I have kept this up for more than 30 days so maybe it is permanent.

Relaxing sounds good but moving sounds better. All in the way you program your mind.

Anybody know about shoes? They look great on the outside but the inside are worn out . I believe aft er 6 months should be replaced for right support. I try to walk the hills as much as possible and walk backwards as much as possible. No one told me to do it I just thought would help the muscles in my legs. I also walk with weights periodically. If I can't afford a gym got to improvise best way I know how.

Hope you all will get started. My clothes are getting loose but I won't g e t on scale until go to the doct or. He said the scale won' t let me know if I am doing any good. Your body get s toned before you lose weight. Maybe you all know this already.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Six (6) Miles and still going

would you believe I did six miles? I can't but that is what the GBS I have tells me and so far has proved accurate. I don't know if I will do that again tomorrow but the fact that I did it really makes me glad. Some guy in the paper walks back and forth to work 6 miles so if he does it daily i can do it one time. Wind was a factor though. My legs feel bit tired but since I have been walking daily other times guess it shows that use it and don't lose it. Hope the weather continues to be suitable that I won't have to quit. If it does rain guess I will just go anyway. As long as I have the iPod I don't care what anyone says. I am in my own world no matter what people say. People do have tendancy to try to burst your bubble and often they do. Not this time> If someone doesn't like it it is their loss they should get up off their duff and move too. Thanks for all your support and encouragement that sure helps and I don't forget who you are either. Give and it gets given back, right? Right! Take care
Old 03-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Since the weather is starting to change here, I have been exercising more. I have to walk along a highway due to the fact that other places I have tried all caused me conflict. Many of you remember my dilima I won't go into details. I haven't been able to get to the computer from trying to adjust the time for walking but what a feeling one gets from having their blood move. I even sleep better. I wish you all the same feeling I get from making effort to treat my body in the way it serves me. Words can't express how up it makes one feel.

One secret I have is that I invested in an iPod so anyone saying something derogatory to me I will not be able to hear. Sad that you have to cut off the good people because of the bad. I can't figure out if people are resentful because you have motivation or if they are just not happy about themselves. Every day i give it to God and let Him help me make it another day. I feel alive when i move and thank Him for it. My cousin who had been crippled for more than 20 years with inherited disease just passed away last week. I believe my prayers were answered and he is walking now. this is only my belief and don't want to influence no one. Having had this kind of disease in the family and knowing I could have been just like he was, depending on others. I know you all would have liked him for the simple reason no one was a stranger to him. He loved people and always had a smile for them. He found fault with no one. He was true inspiration to the entire family. His funeral consisted of more than 100 cars. One would not believe that so many would attend someone who had been confined to the home for so long. This was proof to me he reached out to everyone.
ITK... I recently (I say recently, but it has been about 3 years now, seems like yersterday) lost my parents... first my dad and then 6 months later my mom passed. One of the hardest things I have had to face in my life and my parents were so dear to me... so close. My dad passed suddenly which was a blessing, my mom, fought cancer for 2 years. I guess when my dad died, that was pretty much all the reason she needed to give up the fight and move on. My point, is that I prayed for my mom, I prayed that she would be healed and and made anew. When she died, I felt so betrayed and hurt. But I was not getting it.... my prayer was answered and I had not the sense to realize it at the time. She is healed, and made anew with our Father in Heaven! Reading your post brought a gentle reminder to me, that life is precious and we go so fast through our life that we fail to see the true blessings that we have. Thanks for sharing ITK, I had a cry and a laugh!!!
Old 03-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #17
Executive Chef

sattie

thank you sattie for sharing with me about the feeling you have about your dear parents. They were good to you and I feel they are still with you whenever you think of them. They really never leave us only move on until we join them. This is only my comfort of the fact that when one goes their spirit remains. How you blessed me with your words. The Lord does work in strange ways and sometimes He lets me know He has sense of humor too. (Like when I can't find the brown sugar and it falls off the table on the floor)
I loved my cousin who had to be bedridden for 20 years. If anyone deserved the best in life he did. I know he is happy to be out of his body and have his freedom. He would not want to return to it. Whenever I would ask if he felt gyped or cheated he would always say no.You would not want your mom to be in her body again and you wouldn't want her to endure any kind of pain because of the love you have for her. The more I search for understanding it does come but in His time. I feel just as in this circumstance He did not want you to feel disappointed about your loss. Just continue to ask for strength and help in understanding why He does what He does. He isn't the one who causes you heartache. Do not ever stop t rust ing Him.

Your words are precious to me. I thank my God for allowing this to be communicated to you at this time. My hope and prayers are for you and your family to be blessed and grow strong together with His blessings. He is the best friend I have beside my dogs. And I know He doesn't mind them.

Take care and once again thank you.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #18
Master Chef

We bless each other in ways we will never know. I am thankful for what you shared and hopes are that it will be a blessing to others. Thanks for the kind words and prayers... they are always appreciated.

I will keep you in my prayers and hope for peace and blessings for you and yours (dogs are truly amazing, I sometimes wonder if they are little angels sent by God).