"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 12:27 AM   #151
Master Chef

good for you, kyles! you set your mind on losing weight and you are working so well towards your goal! i always read this thread just to see your updates.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:07 AM   #152
Assistant Cook

hello, i am a newbie with diet :) I want to loose some kilos too.
so i started to do some exercise ... ( i do like doing it i just wish i wouldnt have to move )

Old 07-21-2005, 03:57 PM   #153
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
35 pounds down and still dropping! I am nearly half way to my goal. YAHOOOOOO
Old 07-21-2005, 05:16 PM   #154
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Christina*
.........so i started to do some exercise ... ( i do like doing it i just wish i wouldnt have to move )
good one, Christina!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceUmUp
35 pounds down and still dropping! I am nearly half way to my goal. YAHOOOOOO
Holy cow! I've heard of Sporty Spice, Scary Spice and Baby Spice....
but I guess now we'll have our own "Skinny Spice"!
Old 07-21-2005, 06:26 PM   #155
Senior Cook

I met Chef Paul Prudhomme about 7 years ago at the Fancy Food SHow in NYC. He signed a cookbook for me and an apron. I told him that my hobby was cooking and I had considered a career change to become a chef. He looked me up and down and said "you look like a chef" and he grinned broadly. I should have taken the hint then that it was time to drop some pounds. By the way, I found Chef Paul to be a really nice and warm person.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:29 PM   #156
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceUmUp
I met Chef Paul Prudhomme about 7 years ago at the Fancy Food SHow in NYC. He signed a cookbook for me and an apron. I told him that my hobby was cooking and I had considered a career change to become a chef. He looked me up and down and said "you look like a chef" and he grinned broadly. I should have taken the hint then that it was time to drop some pounds. By the way, I found Chef Paul to be a really nice and warm person.
wow - that's where I met him too Spice!! But it was maybe 2 years ago - didn't even think to get an autograph - he was a very gentle person wasn't he?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 07-21-2005, 06:35 PM   #157
Senior Cook

He impressed me as a gentle, warm and soft-spoken man in love with what he does for a living.

I met Jacques Pepin at the same show. When my eldest son was a toddler he was not really connecting with anything (he has Fragile X Syndrome). The only thing he really seemed to connect with was cooking show. Mainly the Two Fat Ladies and Jacque Pepin. When I told him that story, he insisted on having a picture of us taken together and he signed it to my son. I still have the picture and my son cherishes it. http://www.fragilex.org/

Old 07-30-2005, 11:33 PM   #158
Senior Cook

OK, so here we are, I started the diet on April 29 and now it is July 30. SO three full months in to this. I have dropped 37 pounds. I have not had Pizza in 90 days. I have not had a bowl of pasta with sauce in 90 days. all the good stuff! But truth be told, I do not miss the good stuff. I am eating better than I have in years with well rounded meals that always include a salad and vegtable at dinner. I love my lunches of Salad or tuna and I rediscovered my love of sardines. I have alowed me to enjoy a bagel in the mornings and on Sunday I still have my Bagel with the works. Still I am averageing a little more than 2000 calories a day. I am confident I will stay on this for the long term (this is already the longest I have every stayed on a diet.) The goal is to drop 95 pounds from my start weight. I am a bit more than one third of the way there. I do not expect that Iw ill get there in 9 months. I know the weight loss will slow, and in fact has slowed. The thing that keeps me going is that the weight loss has not stopped. I am seeing the south side of 270 for the first time in YEARS. Pants are loose, I have sent the largest of the pants to the goodwill. I am now down two sizes. My belt is the next to go as I have drilled three holes in it and well frankly it looks silly with all that extra leather sticking out!

If I do in fact lose 95 pounds from my start weight, it will be 110 pounds from the heaviest I have been. That would be cool!

For me the secret has been to not really think of this as a diet, which has an air of the temporary about it. I think of this as a LIFE style change. A life I hope is being extended with this change.

Sunday I Will spend a part of the day cleaning up my bike and getting it ready to ride again so I can add physical activity to the life style.

Hope you are all seeing success in your efforts
Old 07-31-2005, 02:06 AM   #159
Head Chef

Good goin'! You have to look at it as a lifestyle, not a diet. That helps you stay at it long term.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:54 AM   #160
Hospitality Queen

Spice! You are truly an inspiration!!!

You ought to consider posting a before and after once you've hit your goal weight.

Closed Thread