"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 01:58 PM   #161
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
Spice! You are truly an inspiration!!!

You ought to consider posting a before and after once you've hit your goal weight.
I plan to, but y'all have to promiss not to be frightend by the before!

Old 07-31-2005, 02:51 PM   #162
Hospitality Queen

promise!!!

Old 08-01-2005, 06:37 PM   #163
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
I promise too...we all need inspiration!
Old 08-03-2005, 01:30 PM   #164
Head Chef

WOOHOO! I'm down to 189.5 lbs today! That's the first time I've been this light in...I can't even remember.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:43 PM   #165
Executive Chef

I haven't posted in this thread before, but after going to the rheuma doc on Monday and finding I'd gained 3 lbs, I'm going to read thru and see what is proving beneficial to all who are losing. Time to get serious - I'm not buying fatter clothes!!!!
Old 08-03-2005, 01:54 PM   #166
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I"m so proud of you all!!
Old 08-03-2005, 07:35 PM   #167
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock
WOOHOO! I'm down to 189.5 lbs today! That's the first time I've been this light in...I can't even remember.
Rob, that is FANTASTIC. Congratulations!
Old 08-09-2005, 07:23 AM   #168
Head Chef

I have been reading this thread for a while and have finally decided the time has come to go back on a diet. My jeans now push a new roll of fat over the top- I have been in a kind of denial and immediately turn to chocolate when I feel depressed about my weight which obviously in turn makes me more depressed. (Gosh, now my flawed personality is really coming out) I have always had weight issues in my mind but until I was put on a mediaction 4 years ago never was really overweight in reality. Last year I lost about 10lb doing Weight watchers and felt happier but it has all crept back on. I just converted my weight to pounds and realised I weigh 146lb and I'm 5"4 (I hope thats how you do feet!) I need support to not reach for chocolate when I'm depressed. I may haunt this place!!!
I need to do this healthily and sensibly cause I have a 13 yr old who already says she is fat and she weighs 38kg (think thats about 80lbs) She is tiny but my dad says things to her like "don't eat that you'll get fat" it makes me angry cause thats how body image problems start. I look forward to sharing healthy, tasty recipes which won't make me feel deprived lol.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:32 AM   #169
Executive Chef

MrsMac - Kyles (another Aussie, but living in the UK now) has been a shining light here.... She has lost so much weight - and I know she won't mind me saying she was REALLY overweight. But, she decided (noone else can decide it for you) to do something about changing her lifestyle - not dieting....

She says she hated exercise, but now really enjoys it - she is a great role model - read through her early posts on dieting etc!

Good luck - and it's great that you have decided that the time is now right to tackle the problem.

And have a quiet word with your Dad. I HATE when people give youngsters a complex re what they eat (Mind you, I don't like to see a kid with a huge McD meal every day, either!) - it is not helpful. I'm sure he doesn't realise he's doing it, or the effect of what he says, in light of the female fixation re weight....
Old 08-10-2005, 04:17 AM   #170
Head Chef

The important thing is to try to tell yourself that you hate being fat more than you love chocolate. Sure, sometimes you'll have a moment of weakness, but it's also important not to beat yourself up when you do. If you fall off the wagon, don't tell yourself it's hopeless- vow you'll start over tomorrow and try to do better.

Getting active will really help. I feel better at 36 than I did at 26, and that's the truth. I'm really not in all that great of shape, but I'm improving steadily.

You might also want to look into sugarless alternatives. Personally, although it's probably sacriledge to a true chocoholic, I prefer the Russell Stove stuff that's made with sugar alcohols. I'm into Atkins, but even if you're not, you'll find sugar alcohols like Molitol don't cause your blood sugar to spike. This helps prevent your appetite from going bonkers.

Pick something you like to do and start slowly. If it's just walking a few blocks, do that. Do you like tennis? Bike riding? Do you have a doggie that would like to be walked more often? All those things will help.

It really is important to get active. Sometimes I still struggle with it myself- at the end of a long day, sometimes I just want to veg out on the couch and listen to some tunes. But I try to force myself to pay rent on the couch, so to speak, by doing a dozen Hindu pushups before I do. At least I always be sure to walk my 2.7 mile route, weather permitting.