Weigh In

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in a holding pattern since last fall. I want to take off 25lbs, and prolly need to also. I have done it before and know exactly what to do, so...now that I've told every body, let's see if I do it!

SpiceUmUp said:
Daph, what is your point?

So your clever and self serving little diatribe, which others following this thread have (more wisely than me) ignored, is obnoxious, worthless and ill considered. Worst, it is ignorant and insulting.

SO what was your point? Was this a way of saying “HA I am better than you, I am an athlete, I am in good condition I am fit”? Well bravo. To bad you were born without any sense of compassion or sensitivity.

What's my point?

Here's my point. ALL the literature in medicine, diet, fitness notes that the key to maintaining ideal weight -- BMI, fat %, height to weight, however you want to measure it -- the key is to consume fewer calories than you metabolize.

That's the major premise in the syllogism.

The minor premise is --

All humans metabolize more calories when they exercise regularly. The reasons for this are:

Exercise increases metabolism -- not just during the exercise, but for about 6 to 8 hours after the exercise.

Exercise metabolizes fat. Exercise burns carbohydrates too, but "fats burn in a carbohydrate flame." You can look up this quote. It occurs again and again in the literature.

Exercise metabolizes fat.

Exercise increases lean body mass. Lean body mass is muscle. Muscle burns calories. The more lean body mass you have, the more calories you burn. This is basic exercise physiology.

The obvious conclusion, derived from the major and minor premise is that exercise is fundamental to weight loss.

Moving on . . .

The literature in exercise physiology and weight loss notes time and again that the body is a self-conserving organism.

When calories are restricted, the body shuts down metabolism in an effort to conserve the organsim. You don't want to shut down metabolism. You want to increase metabolism.

The means to increasing metabolism is exercise. The literature is all over the internet and every place else you might look.

But Covert Bailey MD in "Fit Not Fat" outlines it all in simple, accessible form where it's all put together for you and available in one small book.

Just for the record --

Daphne Du Libre is a pun on a classic European bike race -- the Dauphine du Libre. Back when I was in high school, circa early 1960's, I raced bicycles. I was 5' 10" and weighed 145 lbs. Just for the record, Daphne Du Libre is a pun. I'm a guy. I've done everything on a bicycle that Spice Em Up claims to have done. We used to regularly ride the "Mt. Hood Loop" -- Portland, Govt. Camp on Mt. Hood (elevation 5,000') Hood River, Portland, about 220 miles with a major mt. pass.

I did Forest Grove to Tillamook -- 50 miles, 1,600' climb, in under three hours. Ate lunch and did the return in sub three hours, un-paced. 1988. I was 40.

I'm 57, retired (disabled veteran). I'm still 5' 10", but I weigh about 215 most days. Body fat runs 25% on a good day -- 23% to about 27% most of the time.

Back in 1990 -- 15 yrs ago -- I was 13% body fat--about 185 lbs.

A year ago, 2004, I was doing a lot of physical labor in the course of cleaning up a new property / home purchase. I was 199 lbs and getting fit.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), depression, and affective disorders concomitant to my disability rating co-conspired to balloon my weight out to about 225 lbs.

I'm back to 215 most days.

My strategy is to exercise and get fit. I ride bikes, surf, hike, work in the yard (3.5 acres -- more "pastures" than "lawn.")

I also work hard to eat "real food" -- unprocessed, whole foods. I try to stay away from processed food. If it's a "meal in a package" I'm going to pass. I have a weakness for chocolate and Snickers bars.

What's my point?

My point is that the key to attaining ideal body weight is to become fit. If you're fit, you will attain ideal body weight. If you attain ideal body weight, you will be fit.

Obesity in the USA is the biggest health issue on the horizon. It ties into heart disease, which kills more Americans every year than most everything else except cigarette smoking.

But obesity is currently in a position to surpass cigarette smoking as a health issue in the USA.

What's my point?

My point is that you don't get fit by starving yourself to death.

You get fit through exercise. And getting fit is what it means to maintain an ideal weight. Fit people maintain an ideal weight. You can't reach an ideal weight without becoming fit.

It's about exercise. It's not about starving yourself.

Last edited:
I think everyone here is excercising - I don't think anyone is starving to lose weight. Pretty much everyone here has a "plan". What you say is true but I think people are reading it as preaching like they don't know any better. They already know. If someone was claiming to starve to lose weight I'm not sure who it is. Kyles has worked her *** off (pun intended). :mrgreen: Good job kyles! This is just a support thread but I feel sure everyone here knows the concept. The biggest hurddle is still your mind when it comes to losing weight.

Like I said, people read "we don't know what we are doing and he is telling us we are not very smart". That is the issue at hand.

This is a support thread - you made your point - now let's get back on topic - SUPPORT.

Hi, this is my first time posting on this thread. Man is it long, has anyone ever thought of splitting it up or making sub sections?

Anyways, I figured I'd chime in since I lost a bunch of weight about a year ago and am starting to put it back on now. Depressing isn't it? Last year I ate healthy whole foods and worked out on a regular basis. Then one day I fell off of the work out wagon, practically got run over and crushed by it. That's how I gained the weight back.

Now I'm slowly starting to work out again. Going to the gym every week day but not spending much time, just starting cardio and maybe in a month will start weights again. :)

Daphne, what part of Oregon are you in? I'm in Portland. :) Going to walk the Portland Marathon this year, another motivation to get fit. Hopefully I'll make it to the finish line. :LOL:

Last edited:
Back on point: I have lost a total of 40 pounds now. Still on the HEALTHY diet, about 2000 calories a day. Started pedaling my recumbent on the wind trainer. Hope to start accelerating the weight loss a little now and by winter be ready to get back to cross country skiing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom