"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-15-2006, 04:25 AM   #1
Head Chef

Weight loss this week (feeling smug!)

Since Monday I lost five and a half pounds, and I am not altogether sure how!

Weight is a constant battle for me since I got ill three years ago, I doubled my body weight while I was bedridden and just cannot shift it because I keep ending up back in bed for weeks at a time, the key for me really IS exercise. Before I was ill I was an extremely active person, which is why when I couldn't move my weight piled on so fast. And its so much harder whn you love to cook too, although I am really used to cooking for other people now and just having a taste for recipe evaluation, lol.

This week my husband went away, so maybe pining has something to do with it. I did not do anything special, I ate a restaurant once (had a creamy haddock crepe and a salmon version of salade nicoise) and have had two glasses of wine (another dieting no no). I did not even get that much exercise.

Anyway, it has been a great shot in the arm and I feel inspired! So now I am going to build on these foundations and really make effort to lose, not just "not gain" weight which has had to be my goal for so long.

Sorry to gloat, it is just that it has been a long time since I felt I made any progress!

Old 07-21-2006, 05:46 AM   #2
Sous Chef

I don't think its physically possible to lose five pounds of fat in three days because the average person doesn't even need close to five pounds in calories over three days. Unless you were extreme exercising for hours upon hours each day. Its likely water weight. Maybe you'd been having high sodium foods before and were retaining a lot of water.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:18 AM   #3
Head Chef

I don't care if its fat or water! Its kick started a diet and I have dropped a clothes size in two weeks, without trying! Maybe my husband and I should separate, its obviously having a great effect, lol. Incidently I don't think I eat a lot of high sodium food. I notice that when I diet I don't lose 2 lbs a week that we are told to aim for, I lose nothing and then drop a whole lot, so for a few weeks my weight stays about the same and then it drops a few pounds all at once, and then the same again.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #4
Master Chef

Congrats lulu......check out this thread by Kyles

Have you exercised today? Accountability thread
Old 07-21-2006, 11:07 AM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Weight loss is a funny thing. It won't be 5lbs of fat, BananaBrain is right, as it takes a 3 500 calorie defecit to lose ONE pound.

But 5lbs is 5 lbs! But don't be suprised or disappointed if some of it sneaks back up on you.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Well, Good for you! It's always fun to tell someone about your great accomplishments!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 07:54 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I know it would get me excited enough to continue on with healthy eating.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:51 AM   #8
Head Chef

Thanks everybody!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:41 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Five pounds is a great start!!
Water or fat...doesn't matter... how you FEEL matters and if the loss has pushed to to lose even more then YIPPPPEEEE!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:13 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
Five pounds is a great start!!
Water or fat...doesn't matter... how you FEEL matters and if the loss has pushed to to lose even more then YIPPPPEEEE!!!!!!
I second that!! Whatever it takes to get you motivated and on track!!!