"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Thanks all...!
Glad to hear the ideas you have.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:36 AM   #12
Master Chef

Weight Watchers is not just a diet program - it is a life style change ... (Ex-DW worked as a councilor for them in addition to running her arerobic dance studio and classes at the YMCA). You can explore the WW program here.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:57 AM   #13
Head Chef

Hi pdswife!

Yes, WW works for as long as you follow the diet and maintenance. I was on it for about 3 months last year and lost 20 pounds. But I have the habit of returning to my old joyously hedonistic ways, and gained it back over the rest of the year, so I'll be starting again next week.

Several years ago, I went to the WW meetings, but found them unnecessary for me. Last year, I joined WW online (there's a fee), and again, I found it unnecessary. This year, I'll use the materials I bought and just rely on my own determination.

Best of luck! I'm with ya!

Lee
Old 02-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
QSis,
I think I found some of the pounds you lost LOL
Old 03-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Well, I'm down 7 pounds and that's after a trip to Mexico where the cheese, beans, and Pina Coladas were non- stop. :)

My boss (male) has been doing this for a month now and he's lost 22! Has about 100 to go but I'm so proud of him for sticking to it.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Congrats on the 7 pounds!!!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I liked the new Weight Watchers when I was on it in California. I failed because of other things, emotional mainly, but I did lose when I was on it. The points system is cool and works if you work it. Just don't work it the wrong way (I used my 30 points on 10 beers and ate nothing on more than one occasion back in the day). They have added exercise portions to the program too. It's worth a try if you can get a "registration free" deal. I would say at least try it, you may like it.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:37 PM   #18
Cook

My parents are on Weight Watchers right now. My father lost about 70 pounds but gained about 50 back. My mother lost about 50 pounds and gained little back. It's more of a lifestyle change than a dieting since technically, they're not restricting you from eating certain foods. I'm not familiar with how all of it works but I know there's a Points system and certain foods have more or less points. Somehow, you are given the maximum amount of points, I think it's by your weight or the weight you want to achieve. For each meal, you add up the points and see what it is at the end of the day.

It emphasizes on healthy eating and reducing the amount of unhealthy foods by having the healthy foods have less points and unhealthy have more. So, if you eat an unhealthy food, it'll have more points and you would have to eat less for the meals to maintain the maximum daily point allowance.

There's also something with "banking" points, although I don't know much on that really. There's also points for exercise and they reduce the points. I don't know how many points the exercise takes away though or how you even figure it out.

WW has group meetings but I'm not sure how useful they are. I went to one but after 5 minutes, I got irritated with the nonsense and left. My father also hates the meetings but my mother is undecided.

They have WW cookbooks and little WW cards of random recipes to try, which taste quite good.

Be sure though that once you lose weight, it's easy to gain some, all or even more of it back.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:29 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
I seem to have very little willpower lately, but I did do WW last year. We had them come onsite at work ($180) and they're coming back. The program works, the problem is staying on program (which is the case with ANY diet or lifestyle change we implement).

The thing about WW is that it truly does teach you healthy choices. It's okay to indulge every now and then, but you're robbing Peter to pay Paul. So if you need that piece of chocolate, you cut back somewhere else along the way. People seem to find it easier to count points at McD's if necessary, or their boiled egg and coffee for breakfast, etc. But they also offer a "Core" program where you eat whole, unprocessed foods to your satisfaction point. Even on Core, you are allowed a few surplus "points" for the week. If you use them, it's ok. If you don't use them, you lose more. If you exercise, you get more points, and so on ... it's a bit easier to work into **MY** life than giving up all fruit, sugar, breads, pasta, potatoes, etc.

This from a girl who used to have to eat to gain weight. God help me!
Old 03-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

We have just set up Weight Watchers in my small town! I've been hired on as the "Head Receptionist". Oohh...ahhhhh....LOL!

My Mom and I went elsewhere, and she became a Lifetime Member, so was able to start a chapter herself.

You're right, diets don't work. Lifestyle change? Funny how it sneaks up on you....the biggest BIGGEST thing about WW is portion control. It's amazing how we justify twice the amount of mashed potatoes than we actually need!

I've stumbled onto a trick....if you pay attention, you will take a BIG breath when you're actually full. We all keep eating past that. But if you watch, you'll see it...and put your fork down. Then you'll be amazed at how full you actually are!

Funny...I can tell by watching people in restaurants when THEY'RE full....even before THEY know it!

By the way....30 pounds down and counting!