What food do you miss because you're allergic/intolerant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I miss food the most...doesn't matter what I eat, I just swell up.:rolleyes:

:LOL: I hear ya on that !!!

I miss milk. After my 2nd pregnancy I started having breathing problems after drinking milk. Allergist suggested I stay away from it. I got such a craving that I drank a tiny bit .. within a few minutes I could hardly breathe :( so that was the end of that ! The strange thing is that I can eat ice cream and use half n half with no problems .. it's just milk and it matters not if it's skim, low fat or whole .. just milk.

Why is that?
Because it's estrogenic. I'm also not supposed to have other estrogenic foods like sweet potatoes or tomatoes that came in can with BPA (almost all cans for tomatoes have BPA because tomatoes are so acidic, even organic tomatoes). This is going to sound really weird, it's because of a specific type of visual migraine I get. My doctor told me that puts me at risk for having a stroke in my eyeball (which would likely cause blindness in that eye) if I eat estrogenic foods.

From being a "no-soy" and "yes I get migraines" person, taxlady... that makes a lot of sense!

MrsLMB - have you had this same reaction with raw cow's milk or goat's milk? I've known people who can only have raw, as their reaction to pasturized is pretty bad.

:LOL: I could write a novel on this topic, but unfortunately it is all non-fiction!

It started for me with migraine triggers - caffeine, chocolate, cheddar (white and orange), other orange cheeses, certain food dyes. I can have little bits every so often but too much will result in horrible headaches. I can't use most of the migraine medications because they contain caffeine. I can't even have decaffeinated coffee or tea as there are trace elements.

Then my stomach problems started and I had to give up wheat/gluten, though it has since been discovered that this isn't as big a problem.

Then in November I went to a naturopath who correctly diagnosed that many of my symptoms are from a candida allergy and I am on my second try of the diet to clear my system. I can't have ANYTHING remotely related to sugar including fruit (all forms), no vinegar or products containing it, no pork or beef (though I have a hard time with this one), and on and on.

To answer the question, yes I miss everything because there is so little I can eat at the moment, though if I can successfully get through this stage this time I will be able to slowly add things back. I am on several natural supplements, but that is not the same as a bowl of ice cream or a toasted salami sandwich with a couple of deli pickles!

But the first time I tried the diet, I started to feel so much better and started to lose weight. My pain levels were better and I was emotionally stronger as well. :)

The only juice I can have is unsweetened natural cranberry juice. There is no way I can drink it on its own so I dilute it either in a big glass of water or make a "spritzer" with a can of plain club soda! It helps my kidney problems so I have a glass a day.

I am starting to have a problem with beer. If that's truly the case, then I don't know what I am going to do....:ohmy::(

In my 20's I had to stop drinking beer because it made my throat swell up, and it was difficult to breathe. Since I like breathing, I don't drink beer anymore. I am really ok with that because I can still drink wine. I have a gluten intolerance so I don't eat as much bread as I used to. I really love bread. Now I am on a low carb diet, and I do miss the bread and pasta.:pig:

Ah, with your blood pressure being too low with meds, PF, I can see an issue. Mine is so up and down despite meds, I might try grapefruit and pomegranite!

Things we learn from DC!

I had to tell Shrek the bad news, he takes two of the medications on the list. There's one bottle of straight pomegranate juice in the fridge...might have to extend it out a lot with club soda, I'm not tossing it.

I keep saying, all I CAN have is cardboard and water...

I had to tell Shrek the bad news, he takes two of the medications on the list. There's one bottle of straight pomegranate juice in the fridge...might have to extend it out a lot with club soda, I'm not tossing it.

I keep saying, all I CAN have is cardboard and water...

And cardboard may not be gluten-free. Sheesh, these science research doctor guys should try living on what they prescribe.

Back
Top Bottom