"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Hospitality Queen

What food do you miss because you're allergic/intolerant?

Over the years, I've become intolerant to many foods and allergic to some, but the one thing that I miss most is onions! I can still eat green onions only, but any of the others make me dreadfully ill.
However, I do still make french onion soup... it just takes about 50 little green onions to make a pot!

Old 02-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

For me it's clams. I used to love clams but developed a serious allergic reaction to them in my late teens. No more clams for me.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Master Chef

The older I get the harder for me to digest dairy products which I love. I used to be able to drink a half of a gallon of milk in one seating, actually drank a whole one, one for a bet, but I was 18 or 19 then, simply stupid. I love farmer’s cheese, but if I have some for breakfast, I may or may not make it to work nowadays. Sad.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

I have lots of food allergies. Some make me tired, others give me hives and others put me in anaphalactic shock. Out of it all, I guess I miss eggs the most. I also miss fish/shellfish. I can't even touch them.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I really miss potato chips! I LOVE them a LOT and choose not to eat them because they are the one food that I just can't exercise any self control with!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Hospitality Queen

Great willpower Janet =0)

One of my intolerances (SOY) has had a FANTASTIC impact on me.

Eating anything made with soy makes me sick, and cutting it out of my world has made me all the healthier. First I lost 10 pounds the first month I had cut it out. Then I had more energy and I stopped getting as sick, as often. It's been about 4+ years and I love it!

- -the one soy I can eat is the soy lecithin that is in some chocolate products like a few brands of chocolate chips, but all those packaged things at the market, and all fried and/or fast food items are completely out. It's also got about 20 names, so I have to read every label, which makes me all that much more knowledgeable about what I am (or am not) eating =0)
Old 02-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
For me it's clams. I used to love clams but developed a serious allergic reaction to them in my late teens. No more clams for me.
And your a New Englander. You have my sympathy. Spike brought me a great big bunch of them the other night. There were enough that I was really full when I was finished. From now on I will think of you every time I have fried clams or clam chowder.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't have allergies or intolerances, but I have an intestinal stricture (narrowed area), so I can't eat high-fiber foods or they might cause a blockage. One food I miss is Japanese seawood salad. Last time I had one, I spent four days in the hospital.

Another is hot dogs. The last time I ate one, I almost ended up in the hospital, and I spent the evening in agony. Did you know they don't break down?
Old 02-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
Hospitality Queen

I believe it, GG! I'm personally scared of hot dogs and what's in 'em!
Old 02-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Because my kidneys dont work I have to watch what I drink or consume anything that turns liquid after ingestion, like jello or popcicles, Oh well I'm just glad to be alive. I also have to watch the proteins i ingest need a lot and meat is not my favorite thing to eat. So far nothing I'm allergic to but I know that day will come.I have to watch my phoperous(sp) levels it makes me say aint life grand?????
kades

Tags
food