"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-29-2006, 11:18 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine

I don't make this stuff up, ya know?
Well, that certainly would be cleansing!

I'll stick to a 1-1-1 mix.

Thanks.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:51 PM   #12
Executive Chef

A google search turned up thousands of acronym possibilities..Louisiana Seafood Authority, Lincoln Settlement Association, etc...but a vegan health food store confirms what others have noted...a seed and nut floour additive. happy baking.

Old 04-30-2006, 08:48 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I am not familiar with LSA but I have a lot of experience with eating, grinding and cooking with flax seed. From my experience it is NOT a powerful laxative in my system. I would choke down a quarter cup of the stuff every morning with no noticeable effects in the regularity department. I would not hestitate to use the 321 ratio. I am interested in this mixture, did you determine the purpose of it in the cake?
Old 04-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Flaxseed is not a laxative. It is, however, a soluble fibre that will aid and support digestive system and colon health. It is also an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids. I don't use LSA (or LSD either) myself, but I do consume 3000 mg of psyllium a day, in capsule form, to help reduce my cholesterol, and 2000 mg of fish oil and 2000 mg of flaxseed oil, also in capsule form, a day to provide Omega-3 fatty acids, because as much as I enjoy a good red snapper or tilapia fillet, I really do not WANT to eat fish 4 or more times a week.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:41 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Flaxseed is not a laxative. It is, however, a soluble fibre that will aid and support digestive system and colon health. It is also an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids. I don't use LSA (or LSD either) myself, but I do consume 3000 mg of psyllium a day, in capsule form, to help reduce my cholesterol, and 2000 mg of fish oil and 2000 mg of flaxseed oil, also in capsule form, a day to provide Omega-3 fatty acids, because as much as I enjoy a good red snapper or tilapia fillet, I really do not WANT to eat fish 4 or more times a week.
Actually, flaxseed is 40 percent fiber. 1/3 of which is soluable and 2/3 is insoluable. Any food product which has such high fiber content will have a laxative effect the same as oat or wheat bran or psyllium. According to Drugstore.com (http://www.drugstore.com/qxa1772_333...s_flaxseed.htm) flaxseed powder can be used as a fiber laxative. It may not have the same effect on everyone but it has a laxative effect. Other references and studies report the same laxative quality, for example Tarpila S, Kivinen A. Ground flaxseed is an effective hypolipidemic bulk laxative [abstract]. Gastroenterology. 1997;112:A836.

It should also be noted that flaxseed consumption may interfere with the absorption of certain prescription medications and a doctor or pharmacist should be consulted when consuming flax containing foods to your diet.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:28 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I still do not know the purpose of the mix in the dake but today I will be able to make it and we will see. I could not make the cake over the weeekend because all of the organic bananas sold at the local supermarkit were extremely green and I had to wait for them to ripen.
I will let y'all know how it turns out. I might even try a recipe without the LSA just to see.

Diane
Diane1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:22 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
It'll make it taste nice. I used to use it when I used to make bread. Sandra Cabot is an Australian doctor, her liver cleansing diet was big about 10 years ago, which made LSA a household ingredient in Australia when I lived there.

I don't know if all the precious oils stay intact in the baking process, I suspect not, but the flavour will be there.

I look forward to seeing how it turned out.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I thought I would be able to last thursday but....I will let you all know when I am able to make it - I am shooting for Wed.

Diane
Diane1415 is offline   Reply With Quote