"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 01-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
thanks for info

"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #12
Very helpful! Thanks. I didn't know the bit about the bulking stuff in Splenda adding more calories, that was a good bit to know.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by BritMumInCanada View Post
I am doing a diet which restricts sugar intake (don't most??? lol), however I would like your opinions on the best sweetener to use in baking. I would prefer a natural sweetner if possible. I find some sweeteners have that horrible bitter taste, especially in cakes etc, so suggestions would be appreciated.

I am in Canada so would need suggestions that are available to me.
Hi fellow Canadian! :)
One thing that I sometimes substitute sugar for in baking is simply vanilla sugar. It gives a really nice vanilla taste, and you use significantly less of it than regular sugar. You can buy it in little packets at the grocery store... (1 tsp has 4 calories, and one packet is enough "sugar taste" for I believe 4 cups of flour. 1 packet is 9g. The ingredients are just vanilla and sugar.)
If you need something that uses sugar for more than just the sweetness, have you tried that splenda sugar mix? They have a brown sugar one, where you use half of what you would of the normal sugar, and it has significantly less sugar. Doesn't leave a bad after taste at all either from what I've found.
I also try to use brown sugar over white whenever possible, and use less sugar than most recipes call for. There are other natural sugars that you could use (easily found in the grocery store's baking isle). I add more flavour by adding in things like honey, dates, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla extract, maple extract, etc.. It all depends on the recipe you're using. Most recipes are quite versatile.
Hope this helps some!

~You don't need to go to culinary school to learn how to cook!~
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote