"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlyn View Post
I use olive oil for everything-- even frying. That's just how it's done here. In Spanish homes, everything is cooked in EVOO almost without exception. It does get a little smokey, but I love the flavor of foods (especially potato chips) fried in olive oil.

I have a great recipe for wings that come out super crisp and delicious. You just marinate them awhile in a mixture of oil, soy sauce, hot sauce, and other things, then bake them for in a hot oven. They're better than fried!
" (especially potato chips) fried in olive oil. "

A double bonus there for you karenlyn, you can lower the temperature when cooking chips, they then turn out more crunchy, just don't go to low.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo152 View Post
Making your own potato chips or wings. What oil is the healthies? Can you make these in the oven?
Here's a good read on oils.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I think peanut oil is healthy as well, but it is also ridiculously expensive!

I once deep-fried a 14-lb turkey in some of it and it costed an awful lot of money for it.
Probably because it has high heat tolerance against smoking and burning too easily.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #14
Master Chef

I like peanut oil for chips for the flavor, otherwise Canola oil if I don't, and EVOO for most other things.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Cooking Oil Smoke Points
Old 03-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Peanut oil is pretty much a no-no here due to so many people being allergic to peanuts, it is quiet a problem for us.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I just want to clarify that I thought Olive oil was the healthiest oil. I did not take into account your deep frying. I'd use Peanut if price was not an issue, moreso for the good flavor of the oil. There is no such thing as a healthy deep fried food.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #18
Master Chef

Actually, you can minimize the problems associated with deep-fat frying by frying with the right temperature, and frying the right foods. Flour-coated foods absorb much less oil than do batter-coated foods. Also, if you are frying foods such as potatoes, that have no coating, if you make them properly, and r'fry at the proper temperature, they absorb very little oil.

I first par-boil my fries until they are nearly cooked through, rinse to remove excess starches, then fry in 160' oil until they are lightly golden. the outside is crips and the inside is fluffy potato with full flavor.

Cooking at 160' causes the inside of the food to create steam, which expands and pushes out of the food, keeping the oil from entering. And since the poatato is already most of the way cooked, it's not in the oil as long. With my fried chicken, I don't coat in batter. Rather, I dip in egg-wash and then seasoned flour. Shake off the excess flour and place in the 365' oil until lighlty browned. I turn over and repeat. The chicken is not cooked through, and has absorbed very little oil. Oh, and the skin is removed and all fat cut off the meat. I then place the chicken onto a foil-lined cookie sheet and bake at 375' for 40 minutes. The chicken comes out light, and so juicy it squirts you with liquid (water from the meat) when you bite into it. So have napkins ready.

Deep frying doesn't have to be unhealthy, if done properly, using a good oil. I would bet that my fried chicken has less fat after being fully cooked that baked chicken that has had the skin left on.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #19
Cook

I'm not being sarcastic but why in the world would anyone be concerned about the healthiest oil to use when you eat chicken wings with the skin on and chips? It;s like the old old joke:
A woman has lunch with her friend and eats lots of french fried potoatos and a huge pastrami sandwich dripping with fat and then orders 7 layer cake for desert, with coffee and Sweet and Low. Her friend asks, "Why the Sweet and Low when you've eaten all this fatty food? The woman answers, "I have to cut down somewhere."
Old 03-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #20
Master Chef

I agree, only sugar will do in my coffee!!

Other than that, I'm with the woman... DW and the Dr. aren't! LOL