"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #21
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboater View Post
I'm not being sarcastic but why in the world would anyone be concerned about the healthiest oil to use when you eat chicken wings with the skin on and chips?
That is like saying why try at all. Every little bit helps. You do not need to avoid foods that are not healthy if you want to live a healthy lifestyle. You just need to eat them in moderation. And if you are going to eat them then finding any way to make them healthier is a good thing.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:47 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboater
I'm not being sarcastic but why in the world would anyone be concerned about the healthiest oil to use when you eat chicken wings with the skin on and chips?
If food is fried properly (high enough temp, fried uncovered so the steam escapes, not overcrowded and not cooked too long) it will not absorb oil. Yes, it will be "coated" with oil - so looking for the healthiest oil isn't so inane.

And, if you understand animal fats - chicken fat isn't that bad ... kind of blows the idea that some people have - a steak is good for you but chicken with the skin on will kill you.

My x-wife went on a diet once that required her to remove the skin from chicken ... but she also had to buy special gloves from "them" to keep the fat from the chicken skin from being absorbed through the pores in her hands as she removed it.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:38 PM   #23
Cook

michael: Fat absorbed through your hands through chicken skin isn't a probelm since it's only only your hands briefly. Better to get a little fat on your fingers then in your stomach (and in your arties for that matter). Frankly, chicken skin is bad for your health and there's been enough studies to show that. I cut the skin off and then the fat that was underneaththe skin attached to the chicken before I cook the chicken.
I never said looking for the healthy oil is inane either; it's not. It's only when someone shops at healthfood stores for example and then stops for lunch at McDonalds that is.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:39 PM   #24
Cook

Not arties--arteries LOL
Old 03-25-2008, 07:29 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

they say grapeseed's teh best for deep frying, which isn't too good to do often!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:08 AM   #26
Cook

cupcakeChiq: Hmmm.... grapeseed is terrific if you have episodes of gout like I do. Do you know why it's not good to use it too often?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

Oh! I don't know, but I would care to!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #28
Cook

I found this on the net:

Olive oil is the reigning star of cooking oils because of all the research done on the Mediterranean diet and its cardiovascular benefits. But the far less well known grape seed oil has also been shown to have positive effects on cholesterol, and it’s rich in antioxidants to boot. The other good thing about grape seed oil is that it has a higher smoke point than olive oil (425 degrees F versus 325 degrees F). This difference means you can safely set your burner to medium-high versus medium.
Grape seed oil has a very mild flavor so can be used in almost any culinary endeavor from sautéing to baking. Try mixing it with a flavored vinegar and use as a dressing for green or three-bean salads.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Grapeseed oil gets my vote....We use it a lot here at Casa de Hoot.
Tricky to find round here, so when i find it I stock up.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:28 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboater View Post
Frankly, chicken skin is bad for your health and there's been enough studies to show that. I cut the skin off and then the fat that was underneath the skin attached to the chicken before I cook the chicken.
Actually, the skin is not the problem. From Eat To Live: Bacon bad, chicken skin good - UPI.com:

Researchers discovered that skinless chicken contains more heterocyclic amines than chicken cooked with the skin on. People who ate skinless chicken regularly, they found, were at a 52-percent greater risk of getting bladder cancer.

When chicken is properly cooked, i.e., the skin is nice and crispy, the fat under the skin has been rendered out and presumably discarded. I've been known to take chicken skin that was insufficiently crispy and cook it a little longer in the toaster oven till practically all the fat is gone - good good stuff