What Oil Is The Healthiest for Deep Frying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alix said:
Moderator note:

Folks please note the original age of this thread. It was begun 3 years ago and dlancelot has resurrected it.

Thank you for being so diplomatic to one another. Its lovely to see that our newer members are just as polite as the ones who posted here 3 years ago.

Thank you Andy, for pointing out that the moderators will let us know who they are when they address something (as I see alix did) :) I didn't notice this was such an old thread!! I'm new here also, and just saw it in the current threads. Didn't think to look at the date. Learning something new every day!

I have absolutely no experience with deep frying, actually in my half century (geeze did I really admit that?) of cooking, I've never fired up a pot of oil for anything. Oh, I've fried chicken, and other things in an inch of oil, but no deep frying.
So here's my novice question......where does "vegetable oil" come into play for frying. All the charts show vegetable shortening, but no generic "vegetable oil".

Did I mention i hate canola oil for frying. it mait be healthy but it stinks like fish oil ewhen used in frying. Many of you may not recognised the smell, but i am old enough to remember, yuk.
I buy light olive oil, it has a special lable, it says good for frying. of course when I do a lot of hot frying I buy pinut oil.

I have absolutely no experience with deep frying, actually in my half century (geeze did I really admit that?) of cooking, I've never fired up a pot of oil for anything. Oh, I've fried chicken, and other things in an inch of oil, but no deep frying.
So here's my novice question......where does "vegetable oil" come into play for frying. All the charts show vegetable shortening, but no generic "vegetable oil".

Generic vegetable oil is probably a mixture of oils that can vary according to manufacturer and batch. It is therefore probably impossible to assign specific smoke point.

Did I mention i hate canola oil for frying. it mait be healthy but it stinks like fish oil ewhen used in frying. Many of you may not recognised the smell, but i am old enough to remember, yuk.
I buy light olive oil, it has a special lable, it says good for frying. of course when I do a lot of hot frying I buy pinut oil.

I agree. Deep frying in canola can give off a fishy smell. I don't have that problem with using it to sauté.

As a matter of fact, one of the reasons I don't like Cape Cod potato chips is that they are fried in canola oil and have a fishy smell.

I used Canola oil for frying for a long time...supposed to be healthy etc...Then I noticed my fried foods began to taste and smell funny...One day I realized it was the oil....the Canola oil that was stinking and tainting the taste of my fried foods...I only use it now to oil the wheels on the chuck wagon.........

Where is your canola oil from? I've used it for years and never noticed that smell - ever. Is it possible that its a particular brand or from a particular region?

Beats me where it's from. It's rapeseed oil from specially bred plants. It's a Canadian creation, as a matter of fact.

I have read about the fishy smell online so it's fairly widespread. I buy a national brand of canola.

Where is your canola oil from? I've used it for years and never noticed that smell - ever. Is it possible that its a particular brand or from a particular region?

I think Canada is a big producer...Canada + Canola .

Also think it is only offensive to some people....Kinda like that soapy tasting weed they call Cilantro....:LOL:

Yep UB, Canada produces a LOT of canola. Lots of regions here though. I've used canola, sunflower and olive oils for years and not really noticed a smell at all. I have a pretty sensitive nose (DH says I could smell a mouse fart in a different room) so I think I'd notice. I wondered it maybe the oil was older?

Andy, is your national brand produced in the US?

And just as an odd notation, canola fields are so pretty when they are in bloom. Just like seeing a whole field of sunshine spread along the highway.

Last edited:
I use Canola(I bring it home from work). I find that it has a bit of a taste when it is new, but once it breaks down a bit it gets fairly neutral. But I rarely fry anything because the oil ends up sitting for over a month in the fridge before I use it again. I'm too cheap to use 3 or 4 bucks worth of oil for just one fry up. I currently have some used, strained oil in the freezer. Apperently, it will keep just fine there. I have yet to try it.

Alix, I don't think Country/Region of Origin, or brand has anything to do with it....
To some people it smells "fishy" and taste funky. ~~~ Just like some people love Cilantro...to me, and many others it taste like a bar of soap...Who knows? ~~ It does work well as axle grease on the chuck wagon, and on the gears and chains of my planters. ~~ I can see it as a lubricant for bicycle sprockets and chains too! :ermm:

Uncle Bob said:
Alix, I don't think Country/Region of Origin, or brand has anything to do with it....
To some people it smells "fishy" and taste funky. ~~~ Just like some people love Cilantro...to me, and many others it taste like a bar of soap...Who knows? ~~ It does work well as axle grease on the chuck wagon, and on the gears and chains of my planters. ~~ I can see it as a lubricant for bicycle sprockets and chains too! :ermm:

Just wanted to say I agree with you about the cilantro lol. So does the rest of my family

...Andy, is your national brand produced in the US?...

It's Wesson oil. Wesson is owned by Conagra Foods which is a huge agricultural conglomerate - maybe the biggest. There is no indication on my bottle as to country of origin. Conagra's address is listed as Omaha, Nebraska.

I think Canada is a big producer...Canada + Canola .

....:LOL:
Yeah. I live in an agricutlural area and almost every farmer grows Canola around here. It is fairly new. Years ago it was corn, but I don't see much of that anymore. It is easier to grow in this climate and less chance of failure than corn. The Canola market has boomed so these guys around here can get a good price for it.

On those rare occasions when I deep fry (french fries, fried bread) or for frying chicken, I used to use Crisco, then I was given a 3 gallon container of Peanut Oil last fall to use in making french fries. So now I have to use that up.

How long will it keep before it goes rancid? The fryer only uses @ 6 cups of oil and I tend to save and reuse the oil a few times so I'm not going to be using all those gallons for a while.

"They" say 6 months....maybe a year. Keep it in a dark, cool, place with the lid screwed down tight...Refrigerated it may/will last a bit longer....YMMV....Before time runs out, find a friend and share ~~ I've never had it go rancid on me, but I use a lot of it.

Back
Top Bottom