"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #61
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
No vegetable oil has cholesterol. Cholesterol is an animal product.
Yup. I was just throwing that factoid in for added effect

Old 01-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #62
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Moderator note:

Folks please note the original age of this thread. It was begun 3 years ago and dlancelot has resurrected it.

Thank you for being so diplomatic to one another. Its lovely to see that our newer members are just as polite as the ones who posted here 3 years ago.
Thank you Andy, for pointing out that the moderators will let us know who they are when they address something (as I see alix did) :) I didn't notice this was such an old thread!! I'm new here also, and just saw it in the current threads. Didn't think to look at the date. Learning something new every day!

Old 01-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #63
Master Chef

I have absolutely no experience with deep frying, actually in my half century (geeze did I really admit that?) of cooking, I've never fired up a pot of oil for anything. Oh, I've fried chicken, and other things in an inch of oil, but no deep frying.
So here's my novice question......where does "vegetable oil" come into play for frying. All the charts show vegetable shortening, but no generic "vegetable oil".

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #64
Master Chef

Did I mention i hate canola oil for frying. it mait be healthy but it stinks like fish oil ewhen used in frying. Many of you may not recognised the smell, but i am old enough to remember, yuk.
I buy light olive oil, it has a special lable, it says good for frying. of course when I do a lot of hot frying I buy pinut oil.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #65
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I have absolutely no experience with deep frying, actually in my half century (geeze did I really admit that?) of cooking, I've never fired up a pot of oil for anything. Oh, I've fried chicken, and other things in an inch of oil, but no deep frying.
So here's my novice question......where does "vegetable oil" come into play for frying. All the charts show vegetable shortening, but no generic "vegetable oil".

Generic vegetable oil is probably a mixture of oils that can vary according to manufacturer and batch. It is therefore probably impossible to assign specific smoke point.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #66
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Did I mention i hate canola oil for frying. it mait be healthy but it stinks like fish oil ewhen used in frying. Many of you may not recognised the smell, but i am old enough to remember, yuk.
I buy light olive oil, it has a special lable, it says good for frying. of course when I do a lot of hot frying I buy pinut oil.
I agree. Deep frying in canola can give off a fishy smell. I don't have that problem with using it to sauté.

As a matter of fact, one of the reasons I don't like Cape Cod potato chips is that they are fried in canola oil and have a fishy smell.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

I used Canola oil for frying for a long time...supposed to be healthy etc...Then I noticed my fried foods began to taste and smell funny...One day I realized it was the oil....the Canola oil that was stinking and tainting the taste of my fried foods...I only use it now to oil the wheels on the chuck wagon.........

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #68
Everymom

Where is your canola oil from? I've used it for years and never noticed that smell - ever. Is it possible that its a particular brand or from a particular region?
Old 01-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #69
Sous Chef

I've never noticed a fishy odor either. After all, the oil is made from a seed...
Old 01-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #70
Certified Pretend Chef

Beats me where it's from. It's rapeseed oil from specially bred plants. It's a Canadian creation, as a matter of fact.

I have read about the fishy smell online so it's fairly widespread. I buy a national brand of canola.