What Oil Is The Healthiest for Deep Frying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How do I tell if the lard I buy here is hydrogenated? (I suspect it isn't.) The label says "manteca de cerdo" (fat from pork) "100% pura". It costs 8 pesos (about 80 cents) for a half kilo (1.1 pounds). There are two grades available - one is a little darker and has some tiny brown flecks in it, so it must be less rendered. I use it for flour tortillas and pastry crusts -it is wonderful stuff.

Karen, your lard is not hydrogenated. It's 100% lard - pork fat.

Some US lard is a combination of lard and shortening (hydrogenated oil).

You are getting the real deal. Do you use the purer/whiter lard? I suspect that would be better for pie/pastry crusts. Or do you just use it for tortillas?

The only lard I've used is the purer, whiter version for pie crust and for tortillas. I suppose I could use it for many other purposes as well, but I haven't (yet). Diana Kennedy (Mexican cooking guru- you probably are familiar with her) says to use the darker one for tortillas - it is the second rendering and has tiny bits of fried pork in it. Of course, SHE renders her own lard - I don't think I would ever go that far when the really good stuff is available and cheap. My grandmother used to use lard for frying everything. It came in pretty gold-colored metal buckets that we would then use for picking berries.

chemistry and cooking...

I use olive oil for everything-- even frying. That's just how it's done here. In Spanish homes, everything is cooked in EVOO almost without exception. It does get a little smokey, but I love the flavor of foods (especially potato chips) fried in olive oil.

I have a great recipe for wings that come out super crisp and delicious. You just marinate them awhile in a mixture of oil, soy sauce, hot sauce, and other things, then bake them for in a hot oven. They're better than fried!

Just so some of you know, burning oil, (or nearly anything else for that matter) causes the food to turn into a carcinogen (i.e. it causes cancer). So, using a low smoking point oil like EVOO over a long period of time will make your family very ill. Please do not follow what this person has said about using EVOO for cooking...it is to be used on non cooking foods only:
Smoke Points of Various Fats - Kitchen Notes - Cooking For Engineers

That reference is a discussion talking about free radicals and how once a cooking oil has started to smoke it will cause cancer.

Good luck to all of those here, and please don't die from your food :/

Olive oil I think is the best one and healthiest one but, it is really expensive. So, if you're aware of your health and budget. Canola is the good way to use. :)

foodpal said:
Using olive oil will be too expensive for making chips. Baking the wings will be easy and tasty too. Canola oil for chips will be more economical besides it is vegetable extracts and should be healthy.

You seem to be confusing canola oil and vegetable oil- not the same thing. Canola oil is actually made from rapeseed. But you are right that canola oil is one of the healthier ones.

Olive oil I think is the best one and healthiest one but, it is really expensive. So, if you're aware of your health and budget. Canola is the good way to use. :)

I believe we can settle and close this thread by referencing the following articles (instead of spouting opinions with no references...):

Edible oil smoking points:
Cooking Oil Smoke Points
Healthiest edible oils:
Which cooking oil is the best?
Which is the Best Cooking Oil for Health? Top 5 Healthiest Cooking Oil

discussing what we think about a given subject is part of what this site is about. everyone understands that it the poster's opinion,unless references are posted. thanks .

Last edited:
I believe we can settle and close this thread by referencing the following articles (instead of spouting opinions with no references...):

Edible oil smoking points:
Cooking Oil Smoke Points
Healthiest edible oils:
Which cooking oil is the best?
Which is the Best Cooking Oil for Health? Top 5 Healthiest Cooking Oil
Quoted from your link:
Fat Smoke Point Smoke Point

High quality (low acidity)
extra virgin olive oil

405°F

207°C

Sesame oil

410°F

210°C

Cottonseed oil

420°F

216°C

Grapeseed oil

420°F

216°C

Virgin olive oil

420°F

216°C

discussing what we think about a given subject is part of what this site is about. everyone understands that it the poster's opinion,unless references are posted. thanks .
How very diplomatic of you babetoo;)
Ps I like burned toast, my Mum said it would make my hair curl, its funny that I have been eating burned toast for 55yrs with thankfully no hint of cancer or curly hair.

babetoo said:

Thankyou babe! I was a little put off my dlancelot's comment, but I wasn't sure if s/he was maybe a moderator or something and I couldn't think of a way to say what you did without being rude, so I opted to keep my mouth shut. Great job on your diplomacy! :)

Thankyou babe! I was a little put off my dlancelot's comment, but I wasn't sure if s/he was maybe a moderator or something and I couldn't think of a way to say what you did without being rude, so I opted to keep my mouth shut. Great job on your diplomacy! :)

Moderators and Admins are identified as such along with their names and avatars at the left side of every post they make. dlancelot is a new member with two posts.

Quoted from your link:
Fat Smoke Point Smoke Point

High quality (low acidity)
extra virgin olive oil

405°F

207°C

Sesame oil

410°F

210°C

Cottonseed oil

420°F

216°C

Grapeseed oil

420°F

216°C

Virgin olive oil

420°F

216°C

From this website it seems like EVOO AND Virgin olive oil have pretty high smoke points. I am not sure if this info is correct or not.

Over the years, I have come across lots of "factual" information. Cooking oil smoke points vary more than any other info I have found. I suspect testing procedures are clearly not consistent.

The smoke point of an olive oil, for example, can vary based on how well refined and filtered it is.

Despite the variations, some oils are consistently listed as having higher smoke points and those are the ones I stick with. Corn, peanut, canola, safflower to name a few.

I have a commercial deep fryer that I have had more than 20 years
I use soybean bean oil, My fried food is not greasy I don't use it on a
weekley basic. But what ever I fry except ff , I bread it and set in the
fridge for a couple hrs to seal and the oil does not get in the food. As in
most things modreation is the key. Tempature control !!! Just because
you can set it at a higher tempature dosen't mean that is the best . I fry my chicken at 300% and it comes out great. I made ff at 200% yesterday and they were crispy and great.

Josie

Moderator note:

Folks please note the original age of this thread. It was begun 3 years ago and dlancelot has resurrected it.

Thank you for being so diplomatic to one another. Its lovely to see that our newer members are just as polite as the ones who posted here 3 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom