What Oil Is The Healthiest for Deep Frying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Making your own potato chips or wings. What oil is the healthies? Can you make these in the oven?

What oil is healthiest for deep frying seems like an oxymoron. Different people will tell you different things, but I would have to say Olive oil is the lightest and healthiest oil for you. I read somewhere that they actually use olive oil on certain surgical equipment to help lubricate them. Alittle off topic, I know!

As far as making wings and chips, Absolutely you can make them in the oven. Wings especially come out rather well. The way I do it is to cook them in a pan for 45 min - hour on high heat (approx.375-400) and then drain the juice. After that give them another hour on high heat and they come out crispy and wonderful.

Though you can bake potato chips, I honestly, prefer mine fried with BBQ seasonings...

Yes many people will tell you many different things. Although olive oil is a healthy oil, it has a flavor and burns easily. Of course there are different grades of olive oil. Extra Virgin is the healthiest, has the strongest flavor, and burns the easiest. It's not a great frying oil, or even a good one. As the oil is more processed to remove all but the pure fat, it becomes lighter in flavor, and more tollerant of heat.

For frying, the healthiest, and best temperature characteristics are had by using nut oils, especially walnut, and peanut oils. Both have high smoke points and are nutritionaly sound. In fact, walnut oil is high in Omega-3 fatty acids, which is good stuff. The problem with nut oils is that they have a flavor.

For neutral flavored oils, Sunflower is the most benign. It is high in polyunsaturates, and contains mono-unsaturates as well. It has virtually no flavor and a high smoke point. It is a great all-around cooking oil. Safflower oil comes in third, followed by soybean oil.

Of the saturated fats (solid fats), lard is better than butter, which is better than trans-fats (margerine).

That's the quick and dirty about oils. Go ahead and do a bit of research on Google and you will get a wealth of info about oils.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Canola oil is readily available, in expensive, has a high smoke point and is considered one of the oils with the most favorable types fat content.

What oil is healthiest for deep frying seems like an oxymoron. Different people will tell you different things, but I would have to say Olive oil is the lightest and healthiest oil for you. I read somewhere that they actually use olive oil on certain surgical equipment to help lubricate them. Alittle off topic, I know!

As far as making wings and chips, Absolutely you can make them in the oven. Wings especially come out rather well. The way I do it is to cook them in a pan for 45 min - hour on high heat (approx.375-400) and then drain the juice. After that give them another hour on high heat and they come out crispy and wonderful.

Though you can bake potato chips, I honestly, prefer mine fried with BBQ seasonings...
:) I make my chicken wings the same way in the oven no oil needed as the wings have enough fat in then when they are done I toss them in wing sauce.
As far as oils I prefer peanut oil but it's more expensive than my next choice which is canola.

Using olive oil will be too expensive for making chips. Baking the wings will be easy and tasty too. Canola oil for chips will be more economical besides it is vegetable extracts and should be healthy.

I use olive oil for everything-- even frying. That's just how it's done here. In Spanish homes, everything is cooked in EVOO almost without exception. It does get a little smokey, but I love the flavor of foods (especially potato chips) fried in olive oil.

I have a great recipe for wings that come out super crisp and delicious. You just marinate them awhile in a mixture of oil, soy sauce, hot sauce, and other things, then bake them for in a hot oven. They're better than fried!

I use light olive oil for regular cooking, and canola for deep frying..Olive oil is too expensive to deep fry in.

I use olive oil for everything-- even frying. That's just how it's done here. In Spanish homes, everything is cooked in EVOO almost without exception. It does get a little smokey, but I love the flavor of foods (especially potato chips) fried in olive oil.

I have a great recipe for wings that come out super crisp and delicious. You just marinate them awhile in a mixture of oil, soy sauce, hot sauce, and other things, then bake them for in a hot oven. They're better than fried!

" (especially potato chips) fried in olive oil. "

A double bonus there for you karenlyn, you can lower the temperature when cooking chips, they then turn out more crunchy, just don't go to low.

I think peanut oil is healthy as well, but it is also ridiculously expensive!

I once deep-fried a 14-lb turkey in some of it and it costed an awful lot of money for it.
Probably because it has high heat tolerance against smoking and burning too easily.

I just want to clarify that I thought Olive oil was the healthiest oil. I did not take into account your deep frying. I'd use Peanut if price was not an issue, moreso for the good flavor of the oil. There is no such thing as a healthy deep fried food.

Actually, you can minimize the problems associated with deep-fat frying by frying with the right temperature, and frying the right foods. Flour-coated foods absorb much less oil than do batter-coated foods. Also, if you are frying foods such as potatoes, that have no coating, if you make them properly, and r'fry at the proper temperature, they absorb very little oil.

I first par-boil my fries until they are nearly cooked through, rinse to remove excess starches, then fry in 160' oil until they are lightly golden. the outside is crips and the inside is fluffy potato with full flavor.

Cooking at 160' causes the inside of the food to create steam, which expands and pushes out of the food, keeping the oil from entering. And since the poatato is already most of the way cooked, it's not in the oil as long. With my fried chicken, I don't coat in batter. Rather, I dip in egg-wash and then seasoned flour. Shake off the excess flour and place in the 365' oil until lighlty browned. I turn over and repeat. The chicken is not cooked through, and has absorbed very little oil. Oh, and the skin is removed and all fat cut off the meat. I then place the chicken onto a foil-lined cookie sheet and bake at 375' for 40 minutes. The chicken comes out light, and so juicy it squirts you with liquid (water from the meat) when you bite into it. So have napkins ready.

Deep frying doesn't have to be unhealthy, if done properly, using a good oil. I would bet that my fried chicken has less fat after being fully cooked that baked chicken that has had the skin left on.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'm not being sarcastic but why in the world would anyone be concerned about the healthiest oil to use when you eat chicken wings with the skin on and chips? It;s like the old old joke:
A woman has lunch with her friend and eats lots of french fried potoatos and a huge pastrami sandwich dripping with fat and then orders 7 layer cake for desert, with coffee and Sweet and Low. Her friend asks, "Why the Sweet and Low when you've eaten all this fatty food? The woman answers, "I have to cut down somewhere."

Back
Top Bottom