What to do with tofu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is not the taste or texture of tofu that bothers me...it just doesn't agree with my stomach and goes through me. I just wanted to be clear for those who are unfamiliar so that if they choose to try it, to be aware of this possible side effect. Not everyone experiences it but some of us do.

Tofu was on one of the cooking shows the other night: "Surf & Turf, Grilled Tofu (something along those lines) "

3 chefs compete, among several courses, they get eliminated as they go along to the last course.

Try this simple and delicious dish with classic Szechwan flavors:

Baked Tofu Szechwan Style

1 pound extra-firm tofu

Marinade:
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1½ teaspoons minced fresh ginger

Sauce:
1 teaspoon chili paste with garlic (available in Chinese food stores)
1 tablespoon peanut butter (regular or crunchy)
2 tablespoons dry sherry

Toppings (Optional):
chopped cilantro
sliced green onions
crushed peanuts

1. Cut the tofu into ¾-inch cubes; set tofu cubes on paper towels and cover with more paper towels; allow to drain about 20 minutes.

2. Combine the marinade ingredients in medium bowl and mix well; add tofu to bowl and marinate for at least 30 minutes, up to 8 hours (cover and refrigerate if marinating more than 30 minutes).

3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

4. Pour tofu and marinade into a shallow baking dish just large enough to hold all of it in a single layer.

5. Bake for 15 minutes, stirring once after the first 10 minutes.

6. Combine the sauce ingredients and mix well; pour over tofu and toss to coat evenly.

7. Return to oven and bake another 10 minutes, or until golden brown.

8. Let tofu sit for 10 minutes to cool a bit before serving.

9. Serve warm (not piping hot) over plain rice; add toppings as desired.

Serves 3.

Tofu with Pork and Cashews

You might want to try this recipe..

Ingredients

• 1 (16 ounce) package firm tofu, cut into 6 slices
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
  • 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 boneless pork loin chops, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 cups cooked brown rice
  • 1/3 cup chopped green onions
  • 1/3 cup cashews

Procedure

1. Place tofu slices on several layers of paper towels, cover with additional paper towels, and place a dinner plate on top. Let stand 30 minutes. Then cut tofu into 1/2 inch cubes.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and chili garlic sauce.
  3. Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in pork, and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in ginger and garlic. Then stir in tofu, and cook until golden, about 4 minutes.
  4. Stir in broth mixture, bring to a boil; simmer until mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Serve over cooked rice garnished with green onions and cashews

It is not the taste or texture of tofu that bothers me...it just doesn't agree with my stomach and goes through me. I just wanted to be clear for those who are unfamiliar so that if they choose to try it, to be aware of this possible side effect. Not everyone experiences it but some of us do.
I just bought a sprouted tofu, although it looks exactly like regular old tofu, and it says on the package that it is supposed to be more digestible. My two and 1/2 year old grandson LOVES tofu cold, straight from the package. Yikes. But, we give him all he wants. He's two and 1/2; we'll darn well better give him what he wants or the repercussions are loud and long...

Tofu, beans (tofu is a soybean product), lentils, tempah, wheat gluten, and
TVP (textured vegetable protein) are all good sources of vegan protein.
You should do a bit of research to find out how get complete proteins
and how to prepare these products. Mixing brown rice with beans
compliments the amino acids in both and provides a more complete protein.

You should do a bit of research to find out how get complete proteins
and how to prepare these products. Mixing brown rice with beans
compliments the amino acids in both and provides a more complete protein.
The 'complete protein' notion is a bit untrue. It is true that individually, vegetable proteins do not contain a full array of amino acids, you do not need to try to mix and match with each meal or even each day. It is important that, if you do not eat animal products, that you eat a variety of protein sources, but that's it. Protein is so abundant, that if you have anything close to a healthy diet, you needn't worry.

If you still eat meat, and are just cutting down, it's not an issue at all.

Thanx for the nice recipe Tofu is the main dish for vegans & i wanted something different & i got so many recipe.

At my school's dinning commons they fry up tofu wedges so that they are slightly crisp on the outside then drizzle them with teriyaki or sweet and sour sauce. They are delicious! As for the taste and texture of it, I prefer the softest kind, it it very smooth and I feel the taste isn't as strong. I even made a batch of cookies using the silky tofu and they turned out great! If the flavor of tofu is too strong open the package the day before and drain the liquid off and refill with water. Tofu needs to remain submersed in liquid, just change out the water every so often.

There are many recipes that are not based on Tofu as the main ingredient but do have it. I make a tasty spaghetti with creamy tofu and sun dried tomatoes sauce.

I even have a no-cook chocolate pudding / mousse tofu blender recipe! :)

Beans, nuts, and seeds all have plenty of protein and can be used in main dishes with ease. You mention just meat too ... you can always use eggs if you aren't counting those as "meat."

Most whole foods have some amount of protein.

You might want to try this recipe..

Ingredients

• 1 (16 ounce) package firm tofu, cut into 6 slices
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
  • 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 boneless pork loin chops, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 cups cooked brown rice
  • 1/3 cup chopped green onions
  • 1/3 cup cashews

Procedure

1. Place tofu slices on several layers of paper towels, cover with additional paper towels, and place a dinner plate on top. Let stand 30 minutes. Then cut tofu into 1/2 inch cubes.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and chili garlic sauce.
  3. Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in pork, and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in ginger and garlic. Then stir in tofu, and cook until golden, about 4 minutes.
  4. Stir in broth mixture, bring to a boil; simmer until mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Serve over cooked rice garnished with green onions and cashews
Sounds wonderful! I'd probably use white Calrose rice and toast the nuts.

Hmmmmm ... tofu you say? How about using it to apply wallpaper to walls?

ROTFLMBO! :LOL:

img_787152_0_1df107bc1925f0c4430e61bd89be6833.jpg

When I don't marinate it myself, this company - Sunergia Soyfoods - has some of the most amazing marinated/seasoned tofu you've ever tasted!!

Sunergia Soyfoods - More Than Tofu & Soy Feta Cheese Alternatives

Unfortunately, so far I've only been able to find it at Whole Foods, which isn't close by, but when I do find myself at that store, I never fail to pick up several packages as they're vacuum-sealed & literally last forever unopened in the fridge.

In fact, last night I made a wonderful Fried Rice using a package of their "Spicy Thai" tofu. Fabulous. I also like their "Spinach Jalapeno".

The only thing you need in order to enjoy tofu is a little imagination & creativity. However, if you're lacking in that department, I guess wallpaper paste is your only choice. ;)

I like to break up tofu with my hands and fry it in a little oil and taco seasonings. It makes a great filling for tacos.

THIS is what to do with tofu (a.k.a. dou-fu in China). It's Chinese street food, the equivalent of a hot dog or taco in the U.S. It's one of my favorite Chinese dishes -- but only if I make it at home with this recipe. After eating this, I find the restaurant versions to be bland and uninteresting, perhaps because it takes a little more time and work than some other Chinese dishes. This recipe is one of many brought back by a student who lived and studied in China's Szechwan Province for many years.

MA-PO DOU-FU

Ma-po Dou-fu is more correctly but less frequently called Chen Ma-po Dou-fu, or "Old Pockmarked Mrs. Chen's Bean Curd." It takes its name from the wife of a certain Ch'en Fu-chih who ran a restaurant in the large provincial town of Chengtu in Szechwan in the 1860s. A very well-known Szechwanese dish, Ma-po Dou-fu should be very hot. Variations of this popular dish are numerous—some restaurants prepare it using garlic and ginger, some cooks replace the pork with beef, some recipes call for fermented black beans. This recipe has been called "the authentic and original Ma-po Dou-fu," but you can take that statement as seriously as you like. Ma-po Dou-fu should be eaten not just with, but on top of, rice. Provide a serving spoon and let each person take a helping from the serving bowl and transfer it to his rice bowl before eating.

INGREDIENTS

3 to 4 cups cubed bean curd
2 medium pork chops, about 1/2 pound total
3 to 5 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
1/4 cup coarsely chopped green onion
1 to 2 tablespoons hot bean sauce
1 cup chicken stock or water

Seasonings
2 to 3 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 4 to 6 tablespoons water
1 to 2 teaspoons salt, depending on the saltiness of the hot bean sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground Szechwan pepper
4 to 5 tablespoons oil

Optional
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon fermented black beans
2 to 3 dried or fresh mushrooms
6 to 8 pieces wood ear
1 tablespoon sesame oil

PREPARATION

1. Cut the bean curd into small cubes. If desired, place the bean curd in boiling water in a wok or pot and let boil until the bean curd starts to float. This procedure firms the bean curd slightly and is especially advisable if you are using soft, Japanese-style bean curd.

2. Chop the pork into small pieces, about 1/4-inch by 1/4-inch, or slightly smaller. Chop the green onion coarsely. Chop the ginger as finely as possible.

3. Mix the seasonings in a cup, first dissolving the cornstarch in the water and then adding the other ingredients.

4. Heat 4 to 5 tablespoons oil in a wok or large frying pan until very hot. Add the pork pieces and cook briefly. Then add the hot bean sauce, stir, and add chopped ginger. Stir until the meat and ginger have absorbed the red color from the hot bean sauce. Add 1 cup stock or water. Then carefully add the bean curd cubes and stir gently.

5. Allow the liquid in the wok to cook down somewhat, keeping it over a medium flame. Stir occasionally being careful not to break the bean curd cubes. Just before the liquid has cooked away, stir the seasonings and add with the green onion. Stir, check for salt. The consistency should now be very thick, almost like custard. If necessary add a tablespoon or so more cornstarch, first mixing it with a few tablespoons of water to make a thin paste. Sprinkle ground Szechwan pepper over the bean curd. Serve hot over rice.

OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS

a) If using garlic, chop a few tablespoons very finely and add together with the ginger.

b) If using fermented black beans, use a very small amount and add together with the ginger.

c) Soak dried mushrooms or wood ear in warm water until softened, rinse well, cut away stems or tough portions before using. Add together with seasonings.

d) If using sesame oil, add 1 tablespoon after mixing in the seasonings.

Ma po tofu is deliciouss! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Scotch.
By the way, I had a tofu dish in a French Vietnamese restaurant the other day. It tastes really good and homey, and the dish is simply tofu with flavorful tomato puree and green peas! (I am sure it's more complicated than that, because it tastes so good!)

I make Ma-Po Tofu frequently, using all the "optional" ingredients & subbing ground turkey (or chicken) for the pork. Sometimes I also add in some sliced bok-choy leaves (the leaves only - not the stalks) for a little more color. Regardless, it's one of our favorites, & you're right in that there are tons of variations for it - all delicious in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom