"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #31
Head Chef

There are many recipes that are not based on Tofu as the main ingredient but do have it. I make a tasty spaghetti with creamy tofu and sun dried tomatoes sauce.

I even have a no-cook chocolate pudding / mousse tofu blender recipe! :)

Old 02-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

Beans, nuts, and seeds all have plenty of protein and can be used in main dishes with ease. You mention just meat too ... you can always use eggs if you aren't counting those as "meat."

Most whole foods have some amount of protein.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleSmith08 View Post
You might want to try this recipe..

Tofu with Pork and Cashews

Ingredients
  • 1 (16 ounce) package firm tofu, cut into 6 slices
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
  • 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 boneless pork loin chops, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 cups cooked brown rice
  • 1/3 cup chopped green onions
  • 1/3 cup cashews

Procedure
  1. Place tofu slices on several layers of paper towels, cover with additional paper towels, and place a dinner plate on top. Let stand 30 minutes. Then cut tofu into 1/2 inch cubes.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and chili garlic sauce.
  3. Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in pork, and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in ginger and garlic. Then stir in tofu, and cook until golden, about 4 minutes.
  4. Stir in broth mixture, bring to a boil; simmer until mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Serve over cooked rice garnished with green onions and cashews
Sounds wonderful! I'd probably use white Calrose rice and toast the nuts.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #34
Senior Cook

Hmmmmm ... tofu you say? How about using it to apply wallpaper to walls?

ROTFLMBO!

Old 02-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #35
Master Chef

When I don't marinate it myself, this company - Sunergia Soyfoods - has some of the most amazing marinated/seasoned tofu you've ever tasted!!

Sunergia Soyfoods - More Than Tofu & Soy Feta Cheese Alternatives

Unfortunately, so far I've only been able to find it at Whole Foods, which isn't close by, but when I do find myself at that store, I never fail to pick up several packages as they're vacuum-sealed & literally last forever unopened in the fridge.

In fact, last night I made a wonderful Fried Rice using a package of their "Spicy Thai" tofu. Fabulous. I also like their "Spinach Jalapeno".

The only thing you need in order to enjoy tofu is a little imagination & creativity. However, if you're lacking in that department, I guess wallpaper paste is your only choice.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:06 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
The only thing you need in order to enjoy tofu is a little imagination & creativity. However, if you're lacking in that department, I guess wallpaper paste is your only choice.
Not my only choice ... but is definitely my FIRST CHOICE ... rotflmbo!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I like to break up tofu with my hands and fry it in a little oil and taco seasonings. It makes a great filling for tacos.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #38
Head Chef

THIS is what to do with tofu (a.k.a. dou-fu in China). It's Chinese street food, the equivalent of a hot dog or taco in the U.S. It's one of my favorite Chinese dishes -- but only if I make it at home with this recipe. After eating this, I find the restaurant versions to be bland and uninteresting, perhaps because it takes a little more time and work than some other Chinese dishes. This recipe is one of many brought back by a student who lived and studied in China's Szechwan Province for many years.

MA-PO DOU-FU

Ma-po Dou-fu is more correctly but less frequently called Chen Ma-po Dou-fu, or "Old Pockmarked Mrs. Chen's Bean Curd." It takes its name from the wife of a certain Ch'en Fu-chih who ran a restaurant in the large provincial town of Chengtu in Szechwan in the 1860s. A very well-known Szechwanese dish, Ma-po Dou-fu should be very hot. Variations of this popular dish are numerous—some restaurants prepare it using garlic and ginger, some cooks replace the pork with beef, some recipes call for fermented black beans. This recipe has been called "the authentic and original Ma-po Dou-fu," but you can take that statement as seriously as you like. Ma-po Dou-fu should be eaten not just with, but on top of, rice. Provide a serving spoon and let each person take a helping from the serving bowl and transfer it to his rice bowl before eating.

INGREDIENTS

3 to 4 cups cubed bean curd
2 medium pork chops, about 1/2 pound total
3 to 5 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
1/4 cup coarsely chopped green onion
1 to 2 tablespoons hot bean sauce
1 cup chicken stock or water

Seasonings
2 to 3 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 4 to 6 tablespoons water
1 to 2 teaspoons salt, depending on the saltiness of the hot bean sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground Szechwan pepper
4 to 5 tablespoons oil

Optional
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon fermented black beans
2 to 3 dried or fresh mushrooms
6 to 8 pieces wood ear
1 tablespoon sesame oil

PREPARATION

1. Cut the bean curd into small cubes. If desired, place the bean curd in boiling water in a wok or pot and let boil until the bean curd starts to float. This procedure firms the bean curd slightly and is especially advisable if you are using soft, Japanese-style bean curd.

2. Chop the pork into small pieces, about 1/4-inch by 1/4-inch, or slightly smaller. Chop the green onion coarsely. Chop the ginger as finely as possible.

3. Mix the seasonings in a cup, first dissolving the cornstarch in the water and then adding the other ingredients.

4. Heat 4 to 5 tablespoons oil in a wok or large frying pan until very hot. Add the pork pieces and cook briefly. Then add the hot bean sauce, stir, and add chopped ginger. Stir until the meat and ginger have absorbed the red color from the hot bean sauce. Add 1 cup stock or water. Then carefully add the bean curd cubes and stir gently.

5. Allow the liquid in the wok to cook down somewhat, keeping it over a medium flame. Stir occasionally being careful not to break the bean curd cubes. Just before the liquid has cooked away, stir the seasonings and add with the green onion. Stir, check for salt. The consistency should now be very thick, almost like custard. If necessary add a tablespoon or so more cornstarch, first mixing it with a few tablespoons of water to make a thin paste. Sprinkle ground Szechwan pepper over the bean curd. Serve hot over rice.

OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS

a) If using garlic, chop a few tablespoons very finely and add together with the ginger.

b) If using fermented black beans, use a very small amount and add together with the ginger.

c) Soak dried mushrooms or wood ear in warm water until softened, rinse well, cut away stems or tough portions before using. Add together with seasonings.

d) If using sesame oil, add 1 tablespoon after mixing in the seasonings.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:50 AM   #39
Cook

Ma po tofu is deliciouss! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Scotch.
By the way, I had a tofu dish in a French Vietnamese restaurant the other day. It tastes really good and homey, and the dish is simply tofu with flavorful tomato puree and green peas! (I am sure it's more complicated than that, because it tastes so good!)
Old 02-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #40
Master Chef

I make Ma-Po Tofu frequently, using all the "optional" ingredients & subbing ground turkey (or chicken) for the pork. Sometimes I also add in some sliced bok-choy leaves (the leaves only - not the stalks) for a little more color. Regardless, it's one of our favorites, & you're right in that there are tons of variations for it - all delicious in my opinion.