"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Red face What to do with tofu?

I've been wanting to cut down the amount of meats in my family's meals without losing protein. Is tofu the only answer?

Old 01-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

No.

Beans are a lso a good source of protein.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Master Chef

Heck no! But you also need to do some researching via cookbooks & online besides just asking this question here. There's no "easy way out" - lol!

Tofu is wonderful, & if you want to find great ways to use it outside of Asian cuisine, check out Eating Well magazine's website for wonderful grilled tofu sandwiches, salads, etc.

In addition, beans are also a wonderful source of protein, & become a complete protein when combined with other ingredients. Again - do a websearch.

I'd also advise visiting your local library or book store & looking into vegetarian cookbooks, where recipes that include complete proteins are the norm.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Well if you did what a tofu recipe that a meat eater might enjoy.....this might make a passing grade :)

Crispy Barbequed Tofu Slices - Allrecipes

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
Head Chef

Im a vegetarian. the only time I eat tofu, is when it is prepared by the Chinese restaurant. I find they prepare it the best.

For additional non meat dinners, I rely on the Morningstar Farm Brand products. To me ( personally) they are the best. The are no substitute for meat, as most substitutes for meat dont taste like meat at all. But, they provide a nice starting point to make dishes as you would prepare a meat dish.

As far as tofu goes. Most people will tell you tofu has no taste and will absorb and taste like the sauce/ flavor it is cooked in. I can assure you that although it does absorb the flavor, tofu DOES have a taste, and if you dont like this taste, you will have to do a lot to mask it. And the texture of tofu could be a little funky for some. Personally i like he taste and texture, but many meat eaters who try it think it is disgusting and question how i eat it.

Morningstar Farm ( grillers) could be used as a burger
the griller crumblers used as chopped meat for tacos, sloppy joes, chili... but will NOT stick together to make a meat ball.
Ive used the sausages to make sausages, peppers and onions
The chicken cutlets to make chicken parmesan heros, or with a mushroom wine gravy
Ive even marinated the veggie burgers in wine and spices to give it a kind of london broil flavor. By no means is it a substitute, but a similarity.
As mentioned above, these products do NOT taste like the real thing, but can kind of be used in the same way. Just need an open mind. I could go on for ever, i dont want to bore u if this stuff isnt what you are looking for though

larry
Old 01-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorie View Post
I've been wanting to cut down the amount of meats in my family's meals without losing protein. Is tofu the only answer?
Not for me. I had a meal constructed of tofu (from appetizers to dessert) and I got quite ill and so did my parents. Tofu tends to go through you and I had quite the stomach-ache.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
This goes against what you are looing for but though I would share anyways....

on of the BEST apps I had living on Oahu was at a now closed place called Shanghai Bistro. Anywho, Firm tofu "finger", wrapped in bacon, deep fried and served with grated horseradish and a side of sweet that chili sauce. Best. Tofu. EVER!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
one of the chinese restaurants here dips triangles on tofu in tempura and fries and serves with steamed veggies and a sweet spicy peanut sauce!

I also agree with the suggestions of beans, and TVP, such as boca burgers, nuggets. you may have to visit your grocer's specialty section or a health food store, but vegetarian choices are becoming much more popular, even with people who still eat meat, but like you, would rather decrease their intake.

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
This goes against what you are looing for but though I would share anyways....

on of the BEST apps I had living on Oahu was at a now closed place called Shanghai Bistro. Anywho, Firm tofu "finger", wrapped in bacon, deep fried and served with grated horseradish and a side of sweet that chili sauce. Best. Tofu. EVER!
Yeah, cause you killed the tofu flavor with the bacon
Maybe the only way to do it
Old 01-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #10
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Yeah, cause you killed the tofu flavor with the bacon
Maybe the only way to do it
indeed, but the textures of crisp bacon, the warm soft tofu...the sharp H-radish, heck maybe it was the bacon, but I LOVED IT!