What to fix for someone who can't chew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My first thoughts when I read your request went back to my time in the south of Spain... and green gazpacho (liquid salad).

Recipe from spain-recipes.com

Green Gazpacho

This colorful variation on the traditional red gazpacho hails from Huelva and the Sierra Morena in Andalucia.
Unlike the classic gazpacho recipes, this soup relies on spinach, lettuce, parsley, and mint for its freshness and texture. Although it is quite different from its more traditional gazpacho cousins, this version is every bit as refreshing.

• Serves: 4 to 6
  • Preparation time: 15 min. plus chilling time
  • Difficulty: easy
Ingredients

• 2 cups (4 oz) lettuce leaves, chopped
  • 2 cups (4 oz) spinach
  • 3 scallions, diced
  • 1 medium cucumber peeled and diced
  • 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
  • 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz) sour cream, plus extra to garnish (optional)
  • 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz) mayonnaise
  • 2 cups (16 fl. oz) chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
Preparation

In a blender, combine the lettuce, spinach, scallions, cucumber, and parsley until the mixture forms a pureé. Gradually add in the chicken broth, sour cream, mayonnaise, mint, white pepper, and salt. Puree the mixture until it reaches an even consistency. Refrigerate the soup until you are ready to serve.
Serve the soup chilled in individual bowls, with a spoonful of sour cream over each serving, if desired.

Last edited:
I went through this with my Dad.

Weight loss can come from insufficient nutrition or metabolic changes caused by medication or the cancer.

Loss of appetite can come from the surgery and/or the anesthesia (don't know how long post-op she is), medications, the cancer, loss of taste, difficulty in swallowing, depression - or a combination of any of these factors.

Meats, vegetables and fruits can be pureed and moistened or thinned to the required consistency for swallowing with broths, milk/cream, juice, etc. I got my initial inspiration for cooking for Dad from remembering when I had my tonsils out, when I was in college - on my 21st birthday and I was on my own .... baby food, soups, and creamed cereals (cream of wheat, cream of rice, Maypo, etc.). Of course things like fruit smoothies, protein shakes, etc. are also options to put on the menu along with things like Ensure and Boost - and the protein powders, Ensure and Boost can be used in combination with other foods to increase their nutritional value.

The thing I learned about getting Dad to eat was to find out what he wanted - and then preparing it in a way he could eat it ... and sneaking in a little extra nutritional value with protein powders, powdered vitamins or fats.

If this woman's daughter wants to identify some things her mom will eat I'll be glad to suggest ways to prepare them. But, if she is going to summarily reject any and all suggestions ...

I'm glad to hear that a Dietitian is involved in her care, and that she is getting therapy. As much as I feel sorry for her - I feel sorry for her daughter, and certainly understand the position she is in.

My daughter had to have jaw surgery, for 8 weeks she had her jaw wired shut. We used the blender and pureed everything we served, I even did a 1/4 lb hamburger from McDonald's, pickle and 1/2 a bun, really tasted like the real thing because I tried it. Like Michael said , if you can find out what she craves you ca cook it up and dump it in the blender. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom