"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-29-2007, 04:00 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Go online for Indian and Middle Eastern recipes. They are flavorful and can be made rather inexpensively.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:58 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
ratsrcute aka Mike,
I read an article a while ago about how to live on organic healthy food with a $200/month budget. It is a bit extreme ($200/month translates into $7/day), but has good information about foods that combine proteins and other nutrients, etc.
Here is the link, enjoy it: Eating Healthy and Organic on $7 a Day - Page 1 - MSN Health & Fitness - Fitness

Old 12-14-2007, 03:11 PM   #13
Cook

Good article except I have a MAJOR problem with not eating any meat. Unless you are spending another $100 a month on supplements then it is not healthy at all.

There are good tips of eating combinations on the first page but after that it becomes what is the cheapest food we can find type debate.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Hawkeye16,
Meat is one of the main sources for protein, I don't see anything wrong with alternative sources. The article is about looking for organic products on a $200/month budget.
It is a stretch, but the original question was about inexpensive healthy food.
By the way, if you are interested in a good book about diets and food, check: "Diet for a small planet", I believe is a great book on this topic.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #15
Cook

I'll have to check it out, always up for a good book. I understand the budget thing but I still don't think anybody on here (with a computer and internet) is so strapped as they have to cut meat out of their diet. Meat provides more than just protein.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Hi Mike,
I'm single and also don't like to spend too much money eating out. I prepare 3 or 4 dishes every Sunday (vegetarian) and usually spend between $60-75 a week. I also buy as much organic and / or high end ingredients as I can, but from my local grocer. I don't have the allergy hindrance that you do, so maybe that is where the extra amount comes from.

I usually try to make one vegetarian entree (rice with veggie casserole or stir fry); some kind of bread (cornmeal with cranberry and walnut); and a salad of some sort.

Most recipes are for at least four people, so if I make a full recipe, I can usually get it to last me all week. Most of the time on Fridays I do go out for lunch and / or dinner - just for a little variety. lol

I don't usually have to freeze anything because I eat it up before the end of the week. I've been doing this for at least 2 months now (if not longer) and it works out great. Also, it doesn't seem to matter what I put on my menu, I end up spending the same amount of money and get the same amount of food.

I use Vegetarian Times Cookbook as my guide over 600 recipes - most of which are unconventional enough to keep my interest for an entire week.

Anyway, hope that helps!
Old 12-16-2007, 05:43 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye16 View Post
Good article except I have a MAJOR problem with not eating any meat. Unless you are spending another $100 a month on supplements then it is not healthy at all.
Hawkeye - I'm ignorant to what might be missing from my diet without meat... aside from protein, what things does meat offer that is not in vegetables, fruits, grains and lentils?
Old 12-20-2007, 04:22 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Healthy Inexpensive Recipes

Hey guys,

I also was looking for an inexpensive healthy diet and finally realized that I had to start baking my own food on a daily basis. My first problem was to find good healthy recipes that I could bake by myself and I struggled for a long time with this. Healthy Choice Recipes is one site in particular that provides easy and healthy recipes that I use quite often. Check it out at healthychoicerecipes.com

Jim
Old 12-20-2007, 09:45 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

In today's fast-paced life it can be tedious trying to keep a healthy lifestyle, eat right and still keep with ones budget. Those are great tipis and infos. Some organic foods can be expensive or hard to find, but I try harder to keep healthy with whatever is available.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsrcute View Post
I do have a nice freezer so I will try freezing single servings.
Thanks,
Mike
Don't forget to blanch those vegetables before you freeze them. They won't taste good otherwise!