"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-17-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Whats the best food for gaining weight?

I want to bulk up fast.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Assuming you also want reasonably tasty food, eat a mix of proteins, fats and carbs. Fats have about 2.5 times the calories per ounce as proteins or carbs but I wouldn't recommend your eating all fats.

The key is to eat more calories than your body comsumes all day long to support your activites and infrastructure.

If you compliment the calories with exercise, you'll build muscle as well. Muscle weighs more than fat.

Old 02-17-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
pasta and more pasta and more pasta...oh and potatoes are good weight gainers too :)
Old 02-17-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I agree... pasta and potatoes with lots of butter. I wish I had to gain instead of lose.. it'd be so much more fun...
Old 02-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
Head Chef

pasta,rice,potatoes and lots of desserts.......u r lucky...can eat all the good stuff...
Old 02-17-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Do you want to just put on weight or do you want to put on lean muscle mass? What kinds of excercises will you be doing to convert the food into energy/muscle or in other words, how active will you be? Whatever you eat, your diet will need to consist of 25-35% protein. Turkey, chicken, lean red meat, fish, and protein shakes are best because you can get enough protein but limit your fat intake. If you're going to eat pasta, cut back on refined white or semolina flour pastas and eat only whole wheat versions. If you're going to take weight gain or muscle building supplements, get a physical and consult your doctor first.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Do you want to just put on weight or do you want to put on lean muscle mass? What kinds of excercises will you be doing to convert the food into energy/muscle or in other words, how active will you be? Whatever you eat, your diet will need to consist of 25-35% protein. Turkey, chicken, lean red meat, fish, and protein shakes are best because you can get enough protein but limit your fat intake. If you're going to eat pasta, cut back on refined white or semolina flour pastas and eat only whole wheat versions. If you're going to take weight gain or muscle building supplements, get a physical and consult your doctor first.
Ah, a mind of reason.

This is exactly what I would ask. Assuming you're looking for lean muscle mass, all of the quoted message is good. For any intentional weight gain, the final sentence, particularly the latter part, should be followed. Often times weight gain or loss is part of a more significant problem, or rapid gain/loss can lead to problems. I'd certainly involve at least your family practitioner prior to commencing said increase.

Bulking up fast, as I understand it, can be dangerous. Your body has to adjust to maintain the nutritional requirements of the more mass. Caution at least should be practiced!
Old 02-17-2006, 08:24 PM   #8
Sous Chef

A 12 year old boy once came camping with my sister and I - he was her son's friend. We each have 3 kids, mine were really little at the time. We all squashed into one caravan, couldn't put the tent up because 1) didn't know what we were doing 2) the wind was blowing so hard, the pieces of the tent that we were trying to pin down kept flying up....... Said boy had brought (literally) a huge bunch of bananas.....maybe 20 or more. He told me in serious tones that he had read that eating 12 bananas a day was like taking a steroid - it would "bulk" him up (personally, I was thinking, yeah, - but probably not quite where he meant)..... kid"...... Fun week-end. Fun kid.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:37 PM   #9
Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
Bulking up fast, as I understand it, can be dangerous. Your body has to adjust to maintain the nutritional requirements of the more mass. Caution at least should be practiced!
THis is true. Just like it is unsafe to lose weight too rapidly, gaining too rapidly can be just as (if not moreso) harmful! I knew someone who was medically quite underweight and had to put on weight... their doctor recommended no more than 0.5kg gain/week. (roughly 2kg/month) Any more than that and you will be great strain on your heart and body.

Here are some good articles on how to gain lean body mass:
http://www.femalemuscle.com/nutrition/lean.html (part one)
http://www.femalemuscle.com/nutrition/lean2.html (part two)
http://www.femalemuscle.com/nutrition/lean3.html (part three)

Old 02-17-2006, 08:40 PM   #10
Master Chef

Your should eat a balanced diet, with plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grain carbs, dairy (eggs, cheese milk) and good lean protein...not just steak, but turkey, fish, and pork loin.
I've seen specials on Food TV about what they feed the football players in training camp. I couldn't find it right off hand, but they got just about everything they wanted except a lot of sweets. There are all the natural sugars your body needs for energy in the fruit and vegetables you eat.