"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-14-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
Hospitality Queen

What's your favorite healthy-ish recipe?

What is that one recipe that you love, that's not fat free, nor is it Adkins friendly, just plain good and semi-healthy?

For me, it's my banana bread pudding, as it is full of eggs, milk, nuts and bananas with low sugar. (I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested.)

Old 09-14-2004, 06:43 PM   #2
Certified Executive Chef

Re: What's your favorite healthy-ish recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
What is that one recipe that you love, that's not fat free, nor is it Adkins friendly, just plain good and semi-healthy?

For me, it's my banana bread pudding, as it is full of eggs, milk, nuts and bananas with low sugar. (I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested.)
A favorite of mine is finely chopping fresh herbs - rosemary, lemon thyme, sage, chives and adding finely chopped garlic clove and shallot. I mix this with butter to make a nice paste and then mix with fine breadcrumbs. It is wonderful on top of a pork chop or stuffed inside a flattened chicken breast (save some for the top) which I bake. If I use it for fish/shrimp I add lemon zest. I deglaze the baking pan with chicken stock and dry vermouth (the white-clear not the red) and reduce until thickened and finish with butter and pour over the meat. MMMMMM You could use any herbs you have or that are your favorite. I sometimes add marjoram but I killed it by watering it too much or freshly grated ginger.

:roll: GO DUCKS

Old 09-15-2004, 05:00 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

That really sounds fantastic! Love the idea - thanks so very much!!! :D
Old 09-15-2004, 05:54 PM   #4
Certified Executive Chef

Thank you Jkath for the compliment. Let me know how you like it if you try it. I did something similar on a piece of salmon last night, but added dill and lemon zest and left out the rosemary. Twas VG

:roll: GO DUCKS
Old 09-15-2004, 05:58 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookinBlondie Send a message via MSN to CookinBlondie Send a message via Yahoo to CookinBlondie
I often make smoothies for breakfast before school, and then drink the rest for a mid-day snack. They are really good and healthy. For a little added zip, i sometimes add peach soda. YUMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2004, 06:21 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Bangs Lasagna

1 lb. Lasagna pasta noodles, cooked

1 large jar Prego Traditional Past Sauce

1 lb. Ricotta cheese

1/2 C. grated Parmesan cheese

1 lb. shredded mozzeralla cheese(get mine fresh from the italian bakery)

2 lb. ground sirloin.....use chicken if you want

2 eggs

Cooking Directions
1. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions or until tender but still firm. Drain, keep warm.

2. Meanwhile, saute the ground beef,in a large heavy skillet or saucepan until beef is done. Add sauce. Simmer on low heat 12 to 15 minutes. In a separate bowl, combine eggs and ricotta cheese.

3. Grease a 9" x 12" or larger, baking pan. Arrange a first layer of noodles so the ends hang over the sides of the pan. (The ends will be laid back-over the top for the final layer) Then add a layer of the cooked beef lasagna sauce, ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese. Add a second alternating layer of pasta, the meat sauce and cheese mixture. Repeat until pan is almost full then fold over the ends of the first layer of noodles and top with more lasagna sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes, or till cheese is bubbly.

Allow to set for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:04 PM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Healthy?????
Old 09-16-2004, 11:47 AM   #8
Hospitality Queen

Bang Bang - Lasagna is ALWAYS a perfect choice!

and Deadly Sushi - not healthy, just semi ;)
(I could never be one of those super healthy people - I love carbs, sugar and red meat way too much!!!)
Old 09-16-2004, 11:50 AM   #9

I can tell ya what I'm eating right now.. AND, I'm not a vegetarian.. I just sometimes like things with only vegies... because I love vegies and fruit.

I just made a sandwhich roll up with cheddar cheese and shredded lettuce, diced tomato, onion, and fresh mushrooms.. with a little italian dressing.. it's yummy!!
Old 09-16-2004, 05:48 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
Bang Bang - Lasagna is ALWAYS a perfect choice!

and Deadly Sushi - not healthy, just semi ;)
(I could never be one of those super healthy people - I love carbs, sugar and red meat way too much!!!)
If you noticed in my recipe...I did not add any additional salt and there is an option to use ground chicken instead. Yes.......it is the perfect food. Add a green salad and your done.