Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks so much for the support everyone! Interesting facts about iron I did not know. I will get some Vitamin C & add that to my morning vitamins. I love oranges but I'm not much of a beet eater, they taste like dirt to me, I have tried several different types. I have heard that about cast iron pans, we have some, I'll have to start using them again.

Water aerobics class tonight, I had some nice compliments from some classmates. : )
Still working on trying to get that scale under the 200# mark. 15 pounds can't come off soon enough!

You are all just great! Thank you very much!!

Once you break through that plateau, those 15 pounds will start to fall off. Just think of how much you have lost already. Try shaking your diet up and try to eat different proteins in the morning. :angel:

I did it! I really did it!

I had a good night sleep with no coughing and only one time of having to sit up due to my back pain. I got up at 7:30, had a banana and my morning pills, then got dressed, packed my gym bag, got to the van and drove away. I arrived at the YMCA just before 9 and was in the pool at 9am on the dot.

I made up my mind and I stayed positive and achieved my goal. I was careful not to make note of it here, on FB or even text TB. I wanted to make sure I could do it before setting myself up for failure.

I had no expectations on how far I would walk in the pool either. Each length is 15 meters and goes from 4 ft deep to 5 ft. I started with 10 and did them in around 5 minutes so I did another 10, this time a little slower. I ended up doing 30 total in 20 minutes which is just under a kilometer. I then spent 10 minutes in the hot tub. I also had some social time with some ladies who remembered my from the arthro-fit class that goes on at the same time. I am not ready to go back to that and actually like doing my own thing. I did some stretches in the water before and after the walk as well.

If I can keep this up, I know it will help everything. I am actually crying tears of joy right now because this is such a major accomplishment for me physically, emotionally and even spiritually. I think what really gave me the push I needed was at my follow-up appointment the doctor who removed my gall bladder said that water exercise is the best thing to tighten the abdominal muscles and keep the scare tissue from mucking up my insides again. So, it is good for every part of my body and is not a difficult thing to do...get into a pool and walk!

I have decided I am not going to focus at all on weight. I want to feel better in all senses of the word and I want to be more fit. My eating habits right now are not totally conducive to weight loss but I know as I turn fat into muscle and open up my lungs so I can breath better, the weight/eating thing will take care of itself.

Any feedback (positive or negative) on this is welcome and wanted.

I don't usually like this word, but I am proud of myself. :)

Thanks, everyone! I have to admit I am a little sore and tired tonight, but I do not for a moment think I over did it. And I am keeping my eye on makeable goals. If everything is as good on Monday as it was this morning, then I plan to go again. Then I will look to the next time. I can't beat myself up for not keeping up with it when this is the first time in almost 2 years!

Wow! Good for you Laurie! reading your post this morning makes me want to get motivated put on my suit & get to the pool! It sounds like you are a very strong swimmer. I need to work on my speed. I am really liking the snorkel in the pool. I put my face in the water & I'm cut off from everything for an 1/2 hr at a time, I love it! Thanks for the boost I needed this morning!

SB, I used to be a strong swimmer, but with my back fracture and knee replacement I am not able to swim....yet. I just walk in the water. The pool I go to is 25 meters, with 15 of those going from 4 feet to 5 feet (up to my neck). I walk that far and count 10 as being 150 meters so 30 is 300 meters.

I just realized that I was totally out on my calculations - I did 300 meters, not 900 like I thought. :ohmy: Oops! I didn't do as well as I "bragged", but I am still very happy with my accomplishment! In fact, this makes much more sense.

Wow! Good for you Laurie! reading your post this morning makes me want to get motivated put on my suit & get to the pool! It sounds like you are a very strong swimmer. I need to work on my speed. I am really liking the snorkel in the pool. I put my face in the water & I'm cut off from everything for an 1/2 hr at a time, I love it! Thanks for the boost I needed this morning!
You are doing fantastic, and I wanted to tell you that you were part of my motivation to go yesterday. Don't worry about speed or distance. Just do what you can do. The rest comes. I walk because I can't swim anymore. Maybe I will be able to maybe I won't, but I know the walking in the water helps me much more than walking on land. I saw someone with a snorkel yesterday and I thought of you - we adapt to what works for us. I am proud of you and hopefully we will help to keep each other going! :heart:

SB, I used to be a strong swimmer, but with my back fracture and knee replacement I am not able to swim....yet. I just walk in the water. The pool I go to is 25 meters, with 15 of those going from 4 feet to 5 feet (up to my neck). I walk that far and count 10 as being 150 meters so 30 is 300 meters.

I just realized that I was totally out on my calculations - I did 300 meters, not 900 like I thought. :ohmy: Oops! I didn't do as well as I "bragged", but I am still very happy with my accomplishment! In fact, this makes much more sense.

I would have to do the water walking in the kiddie pool...the 5 foot mark is the top of my head...:LOL:

You still did great and fantastic LP, you did it, you got out there and did it!

I would have to do the water walking in the kiddie pool...the 5 foot mark is the top of my head...:LOL:

You still did great and fantastic LP, you did it, you got out there and did it!

Thanks Princess.

At 5'9" I am the "shortest in my family. My sister is 5'10", both parents were 5'11" and my nephews are 6'4" and 6'5"! I am actually 5' 8 3/4" but it's just easier to say 5 9! :LOL:

I'm the shortest, even among the nieces and nephews. Everyone else is over 5'7" with my brother topping out at 6'4". Shrek is also the shortest in his family...at 5'7".

You are doing great Laurie! I like the deep end of the pool (12 ft.) The thing I can do is float. I am not real fast but I like to stay in the water for a couple of hours. It's like a release for me. A way to get away from everyone. All day long is customer service for me in our cafe, by the end of the day, I am done w people. Day off for me today. After church today I went shopping, briefly, w our daughter (15). I am so very happy to report that I am done in the plus size department!! HAPPY DANCE!! I'm at a size 16. Still a ways to go but it sure felt great!

Oh, SB, you give me such great hope! I long to be a 16 again. Congratulations! I know exactly how you feel. When I did the pool walking a few years ago I had to buy new jeans and they were a 16. I still have them and will know when I am ready to try them on again.

The pool is a very relaxing place. I talked briefly to another lady as we passed doing our own things but otherwise I was in my own world, just taking it all in.

I had a really rough night last night and the "mystery pain" in my left side has been acting up. But I am still hoping to make it to the pool tomorrow. If the pain is there, I may just do a couple of very slow lengths and then go in the hot tub. But usually exercise helps it. I think it is either a muscle spasm or my sciatica. The medical profession has no answers - I just add it to my other chronic pains and get on with life! :)

Oh, SB, you give me such great hope! I long to be a 16 again. Congratulations! I know exactly how you feel. When I did the pool walking a few years ago I had to buy new jeans and they were a 16. I still have them and will know when I am ready to try them on again.

The pool is a very relaxing place. I talked briefly to another lady as we passed doing our own things but otherwise I was in my own world, just taking it all in.

I had a really rough night last night and the "mystery pain" in my left side has been acting up. But I am still hoping to make it to the pool tomorrow. If the pain is there, I may just do a couple of very slow lengths and then go in the hot tub. But usually exercise helps it. I think it is either a muscle spasm or my sciatica. The medical profession has no answers - I just add it to my other chronic pains and get on with life! :)
You have a great attitude about it. There should be more people in this world like you. A lot of people, myself included, can learn so much from you!

You have a great attitude about it. There should be more people in this world like you. A lot of people, myself included, can learn so much from you!

Aww, I have my moments - like when I can't get comfortable and can't sleep and no one can hear me I cry like a baby. :(

...After church today I went shopping, briefly, w our daughter (15). I am so very happy to report that I am done in the plus size department!! HAPPY DANCE!! I'm at a size 16...
What a great threshold to cross! Congrats SB. Keep up the good work. I felt good when I fit into my "skinny pants" - size 16 also. Now enjoy those 16s even more as they get looser. ;)

Back to the pool today after work. Deep water aerobics then onto aqua chi. I did get an extra 20 mn of swimming in in between classes.

Thanks to all for the wonderful support!!

I'm the shortest, even among the nieces and nephews. Everyone else is over 5'7" with my brother topping out at 6'4". Shrek is also the shortest in his family...at 5'7".
I'm the shortest in my family at 5'6". I had an uncle who was "Big" name and a cousin "Little" name. Big "name" was 6'5", Little "name" was only 6'3-1/2". Everyone on my mom's side of the family is/was tall...except for me. We credit that to the Scandinavian genes on my mom's side since she is 75% Swedish. The short gene I inherited must come from my dad's side of the family...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom