"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #1001
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Is there a way to do it by making custard without the powder? I don't like some of the ingredients in Byrd's.
LIke I mentioned, you can use instant Vanilla pudding, or even a home made buttercream (not meringue style) with extra vanilla in it!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #1002
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm calling this dessert Death By Canadians...

Old 12-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #1003
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Addie--you DO NOT want to get addicted to

Nanaimo bar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nanaimo Bars | City of Nanaimo

LOVE Nanaimo bars.
Ooooh I might have to make these for my family Christmas! (Thanks for posting these under the weight loss thread btw lol!)
Old 12-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #1004
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm calling this dessert Death By Canadians...

Oh, you know that Butter tarts are British/Canadian as well...

Old 12-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #1005
Certified Cake Maniac

Okay, I need to get us off the subject of my greatest downfall (the N bars)!

It has been a rough week with appointments, spending all of Wednesday afternoon/evening and again Thursday morning with TB at the hospital (he is much better and going to our doctor today who will probably want extensive testing for diabetes). I had some cheats to my diet and while it didn't affect my weight so much it affected how I feel which is probably worse.

But as of today it is back to normal and I am going to try and do some good exercise on the weekend as well as healthy eating so I will be ready for Monday's weigh-in.

How is everyone else doing?

Old 12-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #1006
Chef Extraordinaire

I went to Winthrop yesterday for my vitals and blood work. So she weighed me and entered it into the computer. Then she took a second look. "This has to be wrong." From 149 to 138 in two and a half weeks. "Someone made a wrong entry". I really didn't feel like a lecture, so I kept my mouth shut. It was right. And I can feel and see it in my clothes. I was in and out of there in fifteen minutes. If I had opened my mouth, I would have been there for a few hours.

I am so tired of all this health stuff for me. Just leave me alone. When something is wrong, I will tell you. I take my meds because if I don't I start to get chest pains and feel uncomfortable. Not a feeling I like. After all I am an adult and have all my faculties. I know when something is not right and when to seek medical care. I do have some intelligence. I am not a person who uses 'medical' to seek attention for myself. Fortunately, I don't have to go back to Winthrop until January and if I work it right it will be at the end of the month. Medicare only requires that they see me once a month minimum to check my vitals. So they can get paid. And I won't need blood work for another six months.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #1007
Certified Cake Maniac

Addie, I totally understand about the whole doctor/health concerns thing. I was getting pretty frustrated with it myself.

But you do need to watch that you don't lose too much weight. This isn't a lecture, just a caring friend. And you are an adult who can do it on your own. I would have probably kept my mouth shut too!

Old 12-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #1008
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Addie, I totally understand about the whole doctor/health concerns thing. I was getting pretty frustrated with it myself.

But you do need to watch that you don't lose too much weight. This isn't a lecture, just a caring friend. And you are an adult who can do it on your own. I would have probably kept my mouth shut too!
One of the things they don't take into consideration is that I am only 4'8" tall. I should weigh around 100 pounds. So any weight loss, is a good thing in the end. All the weight I have been carryingaround all these years is from having five babies. My concern was more on them than myself. You stand next to the stoveand eat what is left in the pot. You clean up their plates and eat what is left on. Not exactly the best diet to eat for about 15+ years. Then by the time you can concentrate on yourself, the weight has become part of your life and you don't really notice it. You put it down to middle age spread. Even your spouse has managed to put on a few pounds over the years. So you do't feel so bad.

In a way, I have been handed a gift. And if I use it wisely, I can get down to 100 pounds very easily. I don't get hunger pains. If I use the gift wisely, I can get there in six months or even less. I will take the six months or more. I am in no rush. Last night I had fried Haddock. The fish is good, the fryiing not so good. But considering how much I have had to eat this week, I can afford the frying. I just need to keep an eye on how much I am losing month to month. I don't want to raise any food suspicions.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #1009
Chef Extraordinaire

Last night I didn't get to they gym as I was feeling under the weather. Today I didn't get done with work until almost 7 pm then had to pick the daughter up at school by 7:30. Again, no exercise. I have not had much of an appetite at all today. Hope it works to get in the pool tomorrow.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #1010
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Last night I didn't get to they gym as I was feeling under the weather. Today I didn't get done with work until almost 7 pm then had to pick the daughter up at school by 7:30. Again, no exercise. I have not had much of an appetite at all today. Hope it works to get in the pool tomorrow.
Sounds like your body is making an adjustment to your diet. Something that happens every few months as the pounds come off.