Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sugar and white bread are not carbohydrates?
One must also try to understand how I could snack on beef jerky, Slim Jim's, bacon, eggs and the like and still lose weight?
All very high calories snacks, yet I still shed the weight.

Where did I say sugar and white bread are not carbohydrates? I said reducing / eliminating (don't feel like looking up the exact wording) those things reduces calories which leads to weight loss.

Not knowing your complete diet and exercise regime during that time, I can't say.

You repeatedly "misunderstand" what I say. I think you need to pay more attention to what I actually say and try not to add to it.

Last edited:
RB, while it may not seem like it, I do have a nuanced understanding of these things. It's just too much to go into in a forum like this and as Cooking Goddess said, this thread isn't the place for it. If you want to continue discussing it, please start a new thread. Thanks.

Thanks, your Ogerness, for the kick in the butt. I love you too and so I didn't even take the time to reply. I just got dressed and drove to the Y. I did my 30 lengths (a few backwards to work on different muscles) and relaxed in the hot tub.

I didn't have any serious jabs on the drive there or back and I have only minor pain now. You nailed it - my fear was outweighing my confidence. So, that was one time last week, two times this week....can we say three next week? :)
You can do it! I'm sure of it! You are doing great so far, keep it up. The water is like medicine, you just have to decide to use it.
I am planning on the pool tomorrow as well.

Back in the gym today for me after work today, 100 minutes. 35 on the elliptical & 30 on the bike. I did a few weight machines, lighter weights this time to avoid the pain. My legs did feel stronger on the elliptical tonight. I appreciate everyones support on the weight/muscle thing. People seem to recognize me losing weight now, crazy thing is..I'm not. I understand the whole muscle structure thing, I just want the scale to go down.

You can do it! I'm sure of it! You are doing great so far, keep it up. The water is like medicine, you just have to decide to use it.

Back in the gym today for me after work today, 100 minutes. 35 on the elliptical & 30 on the bike. I did a few weight machines, lighter weights this time to avoid the pain. My legs did feel stronger on the elliptical tonight. I appreciate everyones support on the weight/muscle thing. People seem to recognize me losing weight now, crazy thing is..I'm not. I understand the whole muscle structure thing, I just want the scale to go down.

Be patient grasshopper. It will happen. :angel:

Even with the sciatica, I am already finding I am a little more flexible. I did some stretches to ease the nerve and muscles and was able to go a little further with them than before the pool. :)

Thanks, your Ogerness, for the kick in the butt. I love you too and so I didn't even take the time to reply. I just got dressed and drove to the Y. I did my 30 lengths (a few backwards to work on different muscles) and relaxed in the hot tub.

I didn't have any serious jabs on the drive there or back and I have only minor pain now. You nailed it - my fear was outweighing my confidence. So, that was one time last week, two times this week....can we say three next week? :)

You are very welcome!:flowers::wub: Next week will just breeze by.

I think you need to take a vacation from the scale...like two weeks. Keep doing what you are doing except for weighing in. It is messing with your head, scales are known to do that. You have become immersed in what the scale "thinks", trust me the scale doesn't think, it only reacts. Work with a tape measure, get measurements of your arms, legs, waist...I bet you even have hips now!!! At the end of two weeks re-measure and compare to the original numbers.

You are doing so well, please don't get discouraged now.

I think you need to take a vacation from the scale...like two weeks. Keep doing what you are doing except for weighing in. It is messing with your head, scales are known to do that. You have become immersed in what the scale "thinks", trust me the scale doesn't think, it only reacts. Work with a tape measure, get measurements of your arms, legs, waist...I bet you even have hips now!!! At the end of two weeks re-measure and compare to the original numbers.

What she said! You are doing well and I have "hidden" the scale for awhile. My pants are looser and my face isn't as full, but I know if I weigh myself I will also still be over the 200 mark so I try not to think about that.

The old adage "eat less calories" just might work if every calorie was treated the same way by our bodies - but they most definitely are not. A calorie is not just a calorie. I hate to see that myth perpetuated. =/

It's not a myth until we can scientifically prove that it is wrong, which hasn't been done yet.

While I'm inclined to believe that some calories affect us differently than others just from my personal experience, there really isn't any solid proof that this is true, yet.

RB, while it may not seem like it, I do have a nuanced understanding of these things. It's just too much to go into in a forum like this and as Cooking Goddess said, this thread isn't the place for it. If you want to continue discussing it, please start a new thread. Thanks.

You sound very smart to me. If I misunderstood, that would be my mistake. I am not as sharp as I used to be.
I do try to understand your post's. I just wish you would get over it and try to understand mine.
I am here for the same reason you are. To learn and maybe share some of my limited experiences.

It's not a myth until we can scientifically prove that it is wrong, which hasn't been done yet.

While I'm inclined to believe that some calories affect us differently than others just from my personal experience, there really isn't any solid proof that this is true, yet.

It hasn't been proved? Or do you mean it hasn't been accepted by the health industry whose #1 motive, always, is to medicate you?

Calories. Are. Not. Created. Equally. <-- there are five articles you can click on to whet your whistle with with hundreds more available.

If we would eat real, nutrient dense whole foods [which means would be eliminating added sugars / HFCS] we'd pretty much never "over eat" or have to think about calories again. The source of calories consumed is exponentially more important than any calorie count.

Imagine 750 calories worth of spinach and tomatoes and mushrooms and carrots in a glorious soup or salad. Now picture that Big Mac w/ SMALL fries and a "diet" soda which is also equal to about 750 calories. Which dinner is better for your body? Which food satisfies your nutritional needs? Which meal would your body most effectively burn as fuel?

It's time to let go of the "health advice" from decades past. If it were accurate, and true, obesity would have been eradicated long ago; instead the obesity rate has steadily climbed over the past 50 years. The advice didn't help Eisenhower in the 1950's and it's not helping anyone today.

1955: President Eisenhower suffers a first heart attack at age 64. He was put on a highly publicized low fat, low cholesterol diet. Over the next six weeks, twice daily press conferences were held on the president's condition. His total cholesterol at the time of the attack was 165 ml/dl. Eisenhower was ordered to eat dry toast and Sanka for breakfast and eat only 1 egg per week. His cholesterol continued to climb on a low fat, low cholesterol diet until it reached 259 the day he left office. Eisenhower had several more heart attacks and eventually died of heart disease.

Challenge the status quo. Be open and receptive to changing schools of thought - especially when the same-old-same-old is failing everyone miserably! We don't treat cancer or mental health issues with old and outdated treatments. Why embrace antiquated food / diet guidelines?

<3

Last edited:
SB, what PF said. Needing a new wardrobe is so more satisfying than numbers on a scale. Take out one of those plus sizes and hang it in sight. Then remember you made it all the way down to a size 16. Isn't it nice to have a waist and hips again? :angel:

Great advice! Done. No more scale for awhile.

Great advice! Done. No more scale for awhile.

Like CWS says, the scale is a trap...at some point you have to get away from it. Other things are taking place now that you have lost the bulk of the weight...it's the other numbers that count now.

You are in the process of activating different mechanisms in your body and doing a fantastic job.

It hasn't been proved? Or do you mean it hasn't been accepted by the health industry whose #1 motive, always, is to medicate you?

Calories. Are. Not. Created. Equally. <-- there are five articles you can click on to whet your whistle with with hundreds more available.

If we would eat real, nutrient dense whole foods [which means would be eliminating added sugars / HFCS] we'd pretty much never "over eat" or have to think about calories again. The source of calories consumed is exponentially more important than any calorie count.

Imagine 750 calories worth of spinach and tomatoes and mushrooms and carrots in a glorious soup or salad. Now picture that Big Mac w/ SMALL fries and a "diet" soda which is also equal to about 750 calories. Which dinner is better for your body? Which food satisfies your nutritional needs? Which meal would your body most effectively burn as fuel?

It's time to let go of the "health advice" from decades past. If it were accurate, and true, obesity would have been eradicated long ago; instead the obesity rate has steadily climbed over the past 50 years. The advice didn't help Eisenhower in the 1950's and it's not helping anyone today.

Challenge the status quo. Be open and receptive to changing schools of thought - especially when the same-old-same-old is failing everyone miserably! We don't treat cancer or mental health issues with old and outdated treatments. Why embrace antiquated food / diet guidelines?

<3

I'm not going to keep this going, this is an encouragement thread.

I'm just going to stand by what I said and say that reduce calories below a certain threshold and you will lose weight. This is the easiest, simplest way for someone just starting out.

Back
Top Bottom