"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #1051
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Same here with our Health Clinic. You can also read your whole record and see what the doctor has written. I have never bothered with it. If it is important, they will call me and talk to me.
It is really good for TB who needs to get his thyroid levels checked regularly. He can get the results and adjust his dosage accordingly. The doctor only calls if the results are way out off and wants to see him.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #1052
Chef Extraordinaire

Unfortunately for me, I tend to be cavalier when it comes to my health. I take my pills and just hope for the best. At one time I had been branded "non-compliant." I don't take the concerns of my doctor or the nurses who look after me to heart. My attitude is, "If it is serious, I will let you know. In the meantime, leave me alone." I do have to get my vitals checked once a month according to Medicare rules or ESP will not get paid. So on that, I will comply. But it can only happen on a Tuesday or Thursday. They are finally getting my message. I have all my faculties and have been told I have above average intelligence. So I know if I need to see the doctor. I also know when I need to go to the ER instead.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #1053
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am also considered Non-Compliant...I know the risks and it's my decision/my choice if I am going to follow all the restrictions/suggestions laid on my doorstep. I am also not going to blame anyone but myself if I end up with problems.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #1054
Cook

Shame on you non-compliant ladies!:P I am not non compliant, I am just not seeing a doctor. I have not been to the doctor in 25 years, probably longer. I do not recommend this approach to anyone, but it has worked out fine for me, - partly because I don't smoke, drink little, exercise daily and keep within my IBW range, and being an RN doesn't hurt -- saving me both a lot of money and unpleasant drug reactions to which I am notoriously prone. I am quite sure that if I had a good check up now, the blood work alone would cause the doc to put me on half a dozen treatment and prophylactic meds, but I am hoping that I shall cruise merrily along until all of these secret ailments get me at once, avoiding the need for drug therapy, surgery, or a nursing home.
Cheers
Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #1055
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilinYuma View Post
Shame on you non-compliant ladies!:P I am not non compliant, I am just not seeing a doctor. I have not been to the doctor in 25 years, probably longer. I do not recommend this approach to anyone, but it has worked out fine for me, - partly because I don't smoke, drink little, exercise daily and keep within my IBW range, and being an RN doesn't hurt -- saving me both a lot of money and unpleasant drug reactions to which I am notoriously prone. I am quite sure that if I had a good check up now, the blood work alone would cause the doc to put me on half a dozen treatment and prophylactic meds, but I am hoping that I shall cruise merrily along until all of these secret ailments get me at once, avoiding the need for drug therapy, surgery, or a nursing home.
Cheers
LOL! I would have been fine too, but then I got Breast and Ovarian Cancer. Once that happened the doctors would not leave me alone. The heart attack was the next nail in the coffin...
Old 12-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #1056
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
LOL! I would have been fine too, but then I got Breast and Ovarian Cancer. Once that happened the doctors would not leave me alone. The heart attack was the next nail in the coffin...
My wakeup call was my heart racing like mad. Then next thing I am in the surgery getting a quint-tuplet bypass. Then the ulcer on my leg, then the heart attack from the Avandia, etc. ESP has mostly Alzheimer patients. Geting them to understand I am not one of them has been a long battle. But I won. Right now I feel I am being over medicated. So without telling anyone, I have chosen to not take some of my evening meds. I get them in the morning and I feel fine. One is for pain in my leg (Gabapentin) and the other is to regulate the angina (Ranexa). My leg no longer has the seizures and the angina has been gone for a long time. When I tried to tell the doctor how my leg was doing, he wasn't listening. He wanted me to stay on the med.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #1057
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I take my meds correctly, I just have problems with all the conflicting diet restrictions. Between the Dietician, my Primary and the Cardiologist, I'm not allowed much in the way of food.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:25 AM   #1058
Chef Extraordinaire

Go LP and PF !!!!!I always wanted to be a cheerleader!!!
Old 12-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #1059
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Go LP and PF !!!!!I always wanted to be a cheerleader!!!
I'll be sure to let you know when I am performing...

I'm working now on my diet for the new year...pre-planning what I will be allowing myself for max weight loss and nutritional value.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #1060
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I take my meds correctly, I just have problems with all the conflicting diet restrictions. Between the Dietician, my Primary and the Cardiologist, I'm not allowed much in the way of food.
When I was first put on the Gabapentin, my leg was having extreme seizures and I would let out the most ungodly scream when it happened. I had a large hole in my leg and you could see the back of my leg and the arteries. The bone was right up front and completely visible. I was on eight 400 mg each a day. Now I am down to four 400 mg a day. It has been more than two years since I have had a seizure in my leg. The Ranexa is for the angina that I could not get under control no matter what I did. Well I no longer have angina attacks. That is due to the Ranexa. But there is a side effect that I cannot tolerate any more. Every time I lay down I get very dizzy. It is a nasty dizziness. It makes me want to vomit. When I only take two a day, I don't get that problem. My primary and cardiologist will not listen to me. So I have made my own decision. The dizziness has lessen significantly if I take only two a day instead of the four.